Author Topic: Trump using campaign, RNC funds to pay legal bills from Russia probe: sources  (Read 619 times)

Offline Suppressed

Trump using campaign, RNC funds to pay legal bills from Russia probe: sources
SEPTEMBER 19, 2017 / 3:55 PM / UPDATED 15 HOURS AGO
Karen Freifeld, Ginger Gibson
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-lawyers-exclusive/trump-using-campaign-rnc-funds-to-pay-legal-bills-from-russia-probe-sources-idUSKCN1BU2OS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is using money donated to his re-election campaign and the Republican National Committee to pay for his lawyers in the probe of alleged Russian interference in the U.S. election, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Following Reuters exclusive report on Tuesday, CNN reported that the Republican National Committee paid in August more than $230,000 to cover some of Trump’s legal fees related to the probe.

RNC spokesperson Cassie Smedile confirmed to Reuters that Trump’s lead lawyer, John Dowd, received $100,000 from the RNC and that the RNC also paid $131,250 to the Constitutional Litigation and Advocacy Group, the law firm where Jay Sekulow, another of Trump’s lawyers, is a partner.

The RNC is scheduled to disclose its August spending on Wednesday. The Trump campaign is due for a disclosure on Oct. 15.

The U.S. Federal Election Commission allows the use of private campaign funds to pay legal bills arising from being a candidate or elected official.

While previous presidential campaigns have used these funds to pay for routine legal matters such as ballot access disputes and compliance requirements, Trump would be the first U.S. president in the modern campaign finance era to use such funds to cover the costs of responding to a criminal probe, said election law experts.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-lawyers-exclusive/trump-using-campaign-rnc-funds-to-pay-legal-bills-from-russia-probe-sources-idUSKCN1BU2OS

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Reuters trying to make something legal seem suspicious for the headline-only readers. It's kinda like:

'Pssst. Psssssst! Trump is using a govt owned, modified limo to travel around to various events on his schedule! Hmmmmm, hmm hmm hmm, that seems hmmmm, very suspicious! Very suspicious indeed! Hmmmm!'

'And oh btw, every president uses the presidential limo because the Secret Service demands it for security reasons.'
The Republic is lost.

Offline ConservativeGranny

I guess we are just surprised. Since he "self-funded" his own campaign I assumed he'd be self-funding his own legal fees as well.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Thank G-d the GOP is spending contributions to protect the President from his actions and poor decisions.  I have come to believe if someone is stupid enough to send the GOP money, then that money should be used to defend an evil, corrupt billionaire...because no matter how stupid, morally corrupt, or insane that billionaire may be, at least it's not Hitlery...and the GOP donor would only waste that donation on crack.

Offline Applewood

Wait till Trump starts using our tax dollars for his personal needs.  Or has he already done that? 

So many similarities between Trump's presidency and Obama's.  But because it's Trump doing it, it's ok with his fans.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Wait till Trump starts using our tax dollars for his personal needs.  Or has he already done that? 

So many similarities between Trump's presidency and Obama's.  But because it's Trump doing it, it's ok with his fans.

@Applewood

Of course it wouldn't be ok.  There is nothing similar between the two. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.