Author Topic: Melania Trump threatens lawsuit over English class billboard  (Read 702 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Melania Trump threatens lawsuit over English class billboard
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:32:37 pm »
If this were in the US, it wouldn't go anywhere. She is now a public figure and that appears to be an image from the Republican National Convention. The only one who could possibly have a case on this would be either the photographer or the sponsoring agency (such as Getty or AP) if it wasn't properly licensed. I'm surprised they just pulled them other than $$ to fight it or not wanting the publicity of the fight.

....Billboards featuring Melania Trump and the slogan "just imagine how far you can go with a little bit of English" were removed Tuesday from the Croatian capital after her lawyer threatened a lawsuit.

The billboards were part of a marketing campaign by a private English language school in Zagreb, which tried to persuade Croats to learn English by reminding them of the Slovenian-born U.S. first lady's personal experience.....

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Melania-Trump-threatens-lawsuit-over-English-12208488.php

Offline Suppressed

Re: Melania Trump threatens lawsuit over English class billboard
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:37:25 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:59 pm »
I don't have problems, with it.

My wife worked with a very successful lady from Serbia, and the gal is a real go getter. Very pretty, very smart.

Yes I know the difference between Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia etc.

People from the satellites of East Europe have turned out to be quite pleased by their post-USSR freedom and prosperity, and I expect much the same in the former Yugoslavia nations. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 11:17:46 pm »
I can see this being interpreted in many different ways.

But if you can read the sign, don't you already have "a little bit of English"?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:26:07 pm »
    I've seen pics from her early shots, when she didn't speak English, and that speaks volumes to me.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 03:36:53 pm »
I don't have problems, with it.
It's not necessarily offensive in that it doesn't attempt to defame or humiliate Melania, but it does constitute the use of her image without her consent. I know I couldn't use some celebrity's photo to advertise my business without his or her permission, after all. Maybe that's the issue.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 04:11:35 pm »
A little english and a nice set of hooters.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:29:00 pm »
It's not necessarily offensive in that it doesn't attempt to defame or humiliate Melania, but it does constitute the use of her image without her consent. I know I couldn't use some celebrity's photo to advertise my business without his or her permission, after all. Maybe that's the issue.

I'm absolutely certain that's the issue and probably a carry-over from her modeling days when she did have very strict control over use of her image. Now though, her role makes this a bit more tricky (if this were in the US).