Author Topic: Shuttle Carrier Aircraft - Enterprise First Test Flight  (Read 778 times)

Offline Suppressed

Shuttle Carrier Aircraft - Enterprise First Test Flight
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:04:41 pm »
Shuttle Carrier Aircraft - Enterprise First Test Flight
Logic Earth
Published on Jan 24, 2017

NASA's modified Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA), has come a long way since it first took to the air in the 1970s as an American Airlines passenger jumbo jet.

Purchased by NASA from the airline in 1974 for $15,601,000 NASA 905 was modified by Boeing to first carry the prototype Enterprise for approach and landing tests and then later to ferry the space-worthy orbiters on transcontinental flights between their landing and launch sites.

On 26 July 1972, NASA officially awarded the contract for construction for its very first Space Shuttle orbiter to Rockwell International (now Boeing).

On 18 June 1977, a test-pilot crew boarded Enterprise at the MDD and rode in her crew module for the duration of the first Captive-Active Flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise/SCA mated pair.

For this first Captive-Active Flight, Enterprise shuttle plane remained firmly attached to the SCA as her test-pilot crew operated her Flight Control Systems.

Following this highly successful first crewed and powered flight of Enterprise (and any Space Shuttle orbiter), two more crewed Captive-Active Flights were conducted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwSbeiRADA
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Shuttle Carrier Aircraft - Enterprise First Test Flight
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »
A lotta math goin on there
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.