Author Topic: More Drama on Campus as Another College Professor Resorts to Theatrics to Protest Campus Carry  (Read 1510 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Continuing this week’s theme of campus absurdities, we have yet another college professor who has taken to wearing body armor to protest campus carry by law-abiding students. This week, it’s Kevin Willmott, a film and media studies instructor at the University of Kansas. Student news site Kansan.com reported that Williams appeared for the first day of classes this semester wearing a “bulletproof vest” to protest a Kansas campus carry law that took effect in July. “Try to forget that I’m wearing a vest, and I’ll try to forget that you could be packing a .44 magnum,” Willmott told his students.

In a lengthy discussion with Kansan.com, Willmott wove a complicated web of accusations and complaints concerning the new law. First, he took issue with the fact that only concealed handguns are protected. “It’s kind of a don’t ask, don’t tell kind of a policy, and so, you’re just kind of expected to forget that they’re probably there,” he stated. “And in that sense, you’re kind of living in a lie.”

Contradictorily, he then went on to argue that concealed handguns of which people were unaware would nevertheless “puts a damper on free speech for everyone.” This was the same theory college professors from the University of Texas unsuccessfully raised in a bid to have a federal court block the Lone Star State’s campus carry law from taking effect. There, the court held that the professors’ “subjective fear” that an unnamed, unknown student would be moved to future violence because of a difference in opinion was based on “mere conjecture” and did not give rise to a legally addressable injury.

Kansan.com said that Wilmott distributed a letter to his students, explaining why he chose to wear body armor to class. He complained of feelings of fear and helplessness amongst the student body and faculty. He also said that college students may suffer from mental health issues that could be made worse by the presence of firearms.

Willmott’s arguments basically devolve to the point that he does not like firearms and that he believes society would be better off without them. That opinion is certainly his prerogative, but in a country with hundreds of millions of firearms, it’s likely Prof. Willmott and his students have been in the presence of other armed individuals, whether on campus or not and whether they knew it or not. Guns are hardly scarce in Kansas.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170901/more-drama-on-campus-as-another-college-professor-resorts-to-theatrics-to-protest-campus-carry
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, It's a free country, and if he wants to walk around wearing a level IV vest, it's his money, his clothes. As long as the rest of his dress is appropriate for being in public, I don't have a problem with it. Wear away.

Drop a couple of trauma plates in and get a feel for what our guys in Iraq consider underwear.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just a wee, tiny bit of sanity here:  (this applies to Texas, but I think it's similar in KS), 21 is the minimum age to be able to obtain a CCL.  The vast majority of college students are under 21.  Weapons are banned in dorms, further limiting the number of students who could conceivably carry a concealed weapon. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Hey Prof, pssst, they were already there.   Knives too.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.