Author Topic: The Federal Reserve is setting America up for economic disaster  (Read 897 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Federal Reserve is setting America up for economic disaster
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »
The unwieldy national debt also causes friction for entrepreneurs. Governments have sought to increase taxes, regulations and fees on entrepreneurial activity in order to service the ballooning debt. This has sucked critical capital out of the system that entrepreneurs need in order to grow businesses and drive employment. With consumers still reeling from the great recession, demand for goods and services is lagging employment growth by a significant margin, further constraining opportunities for entrepreneurs.

The great project to rescue the American economy by the Fed has hit an obvious wall. The debt it used to goose the economy is now gumming up the system and constraining real growth. The looming question of what actually happens when the debt bubble finally bursts is one that not even the soberest economists at the Fed have been able to confront effectively. Unless we deal finally with the false notion that "central economic planning" can replace actual capitalism as the driver of American growth, we may be in store for far, far worse.

Read more at: http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/351153-the-federal-reserve-is-setting-america-up-for-economic-disaster
The Republic is lost.

Online LMAO

Re: The Federal Reserve is setting America up for economic disaster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:35:20 am »
Your average citizen is blissfully ignorant of the ramifications of our burgeoning debt
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:59 am »
The interesting question is what the Fed will do if the the economy gains real steam or inflation starts getting out of hand, and they are forced to raise rates. They can't go that far without substantially affecting how much of our tax revenues goes to interest.

5% sustained for a few years will take about a quarter of the current revenue, which would start putting a serious crimp on things. They are pretty well boxed into a corner.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:20:39 am »
with $20 trillion in debt,  a 1% raise in rates costs an extra $200 billion per year in interest.

Those are really big numbers.

Under Jimmy Carter, we had federal funds rate of up to 15.5%. That would be another +$2 trillion in interest.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington