Author Topic: The Olympics Are Actually Going to Be Terrible For Los Angeles  (Read 722 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
The Olympics Are Actually Going to Be Terrible For Los Angeles
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:00 pm »
Phillip Francis
The Cheat Sheet
September 18, 2017

The IOC (International Olympic Committee) made a historic announcement by announcing two cities that will have won an Olympic bid: Los Angeles and Paris. Paris has won the bid for the 2024 Olympics, for the 100th anniversary of the 1924 Olympics which they hosted as well. Los Angeles will host the 2028 Olympics 4 years later.

This is the first time that the IOC has made a dual announcement. This also comes with just two cities bidding for the 2024 summer games, with a deal that allowed Paris to go first to celebrate the anniversary. Los Angeles will go second, and receive $180 million from the IOC. The deal was unanimous.

This, however, is not going to be a huge windfall for Los Angeles. In fact, this is only the beginning of the nightmare for the City of Angels.

More

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Olympics Are Actually Going to Be Terrible For Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:53:37 pm »
Like anything else, it all depends on who's running it.  The most recent examples are pretty poor, with total incompetence shown in Rio and total corruption shown in Russia. 

The last two held in the US were considered pretty well done, LA and SLC.  The real question is, how will LA fare in 2028?  If the city is still held by Democratss, and they refuse to let a pro run it, then it will be like the one in Russia.  (it wouldn't be much better in the highly unlikely event Republicans are running the city.)  Either way, it's not going to be like Rio, the US has a comparatively sound infrastructure and already existing venues all over the city.  (That said, of all the states, it seems CA is the one most likely to have infrastructure problems 11 years from now.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:55:19 pm »
Well at least Mexico already has experience hosting the Games.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:23 pm »
@truth_seeker

This is a local thing for you, right?  What do you think of LA's running the Olympics in 11 years?  I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »

They're not scheduled, are they?  Mexico would probably fare better than most third-world places.
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »

Bueno, no eres el listo

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:11:55 pm »
@truth_seeker

This is a local thing for you, right?  What do you think of LA's running the Olympics in 11 years?  I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
1. My daytime commute was a breeze during the games. No idea how they did that.
2. Attended the cycling in Mission Viejo and enjoyed it. Rode our bikes to the venue, and back.
3. My recollection was the games were extremely well regarded.
4. Was midpoint during Regan's term of office .
5. My recollection was the games did NOT cost taxpayers money.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 09:43:07 pm »
1. My daytime commute was a breeze during the games. No idea how they did that.
2. Attended the cycling in Mission Viejo and enjoyed it. Rode our bikes to the venue, and back.
3. My recollection was the games were extremely well regarded.
4. Was midpoint during Regan's term of office .
5. My recollection was the games did NOT cost taxpayers money.

Thanks!

Mrs. Liberty was living there at the time, and she said the entire experience was a piece of cake for her, no traffic problems, even around the many venues.  Businesses and the City cooperated with each other by shifting hours around and the like.  I think this was the one Peter Ueberroth ran?  I understand it actually made money for the City.

I kept thinking about that as I read this POS article.  LA is no Rio or Soche.
I will NOT comply.