Author Topic: Retirees on tap for biggest increase in Social Security benefits since 2011  (Read 696 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Retirees on tap for biggest increase in Social Security benefits since 2011
by Joseph Lawler | Sep 18, 2017, 12:01 AM

The increase in the cost-of-living allowance for Social Security benefits next year is likely to be about 2 percent, according to the latest data, which would be the biggest hike since 2011.

The official increase will be released in October, after the Bureau of Labor Statistics releases the September data for the Consumer Price Index, on which the cost-of-living increase is based.

But with the August inflation data released Thursday, it looks highly likely that the COLA will be close to 2 percent, much better than the 0.3 percent that millions of retirees and disabled workers received in 2017.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/retirees-on-tap-for-biggest-increase-in-social-security-benefits-since-2011/article/2634634
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Retirees on tap for biggest increase in Social Security benefits since 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »
There go my taxes, again. 

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:45:23 pm »
As usual, any increase is eaten up with an increase in Medicare costs.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »
Wow!  A whopping 2%.  Just enough to put me over the limit so I'll have to pay taxes.  Gee thanks!   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 02:12:18 pm »
As usual, any increase is eaten up with an increase in Medicare costs.

Yes, it's infuriating when a lazy "journalist" is too ignorant to recognize that the "freeze" on Medicare premiums was only temporary and low-benefit recipients are still catching up to the current levels - and of course 2018 increases will be even higher.

Or for that matter to ignore the even more painful reality that inflation for the basic day-to-day necessities retirees need has been running much higher than their paltry COLAs for years now...

---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »
Wow!  A whopping 2%.  Just enough to put me over the limit so I'll have to pay taxes.  Gee thanks!   *****rollingeyes*****
:pondering:

I haven't had a 2% increase in a decade.  In wages, I mean.  Taxes and benefits, sure.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 01:52:52 am »
There go my taxes, again.

The Federal Reserve "printing press" will cover it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:29:52 am »
:pondering:

I haven't had a 2% increase in a decade.  In wages, I mean.  Taxes and benefits, sure.

When I was a young pup in my first job, I got a 3% wage increase and I thought it was paltry.  LOL

Then I had jobs where some years there was no increase.  Most of my raises were around 1%. 

But no matter what the amount, any increases never really covered increases in expenses. 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 04:03:49 pm »
Retirees on tap for biggest increase in Social Security benefits since 2011

What about the other 30% of those collecting Social Security?  The ones who are not retirees.  Do they get the increase too?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-