Author Topic: Cambodia’s Hun Sen Vows to Lead For One More Decade  (Read 383 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cambodia’s Hun Sen Vows to Lead For One More Decade
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:03:59 pm »
Cambodia’s Hun Sen Vows to Lead For One More Decade
2017-09-06

Prime Minister Hun Sen and his wife Bun Rany dip their fingers in indelible ink after casting their ballots at a polling station in Kandal province's Takhmao city, June 4, 2017.
RFA

Cambodia’s Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday vowed to remain in power for another decade, a day after a court charged the head of the country’s opposition party with treason for allegedly trying to topple the government.

Speaking to around 10,000 garment industry workers at a factory in the capital Phnom Penh, Hun Sen, 65, said he would run for two more terms as prime minister to defend the stability of the nation before considering whether to step aside.

“Earlier I had a mixed feeling about when I should stop being the prime minister,” said the strongman, who has led Cambodia for 32 years.

“But thanks to the recent developments in connection with the treacherous activities of the Cambodian who has been arrested … I have decided to continue for at least another 10 years,” he added.

Continued at: http://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodia/vow-09062017165634.html

The story is from a week ago; but does reflect a current troubled environment in Cambodia to keep an eye on. I don't see a great violence occurring there right now.

More current:
Leverage in Cambodia Key Question for US, EU

PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA —

Radio Free Asia has joined the ranks of media outlets shuttered under the now almost blanket smothering of an independent press in Cambodia, as U.S. and European diplomatic efforts have failed, so far, to halt the county's descent into authoritarianism ahead of elections next year.

The closure of the U.S.-funded outlet, due to what it called intimidation, represents another escalation in opposition to Washington by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Continued at: https://www.voanews.com/a/leverage-cambodia-key-question-united-states-european-union/4029323.html

I'm not sure if they've been "semi-friendly" with the North Korean regime.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Cambodia’s Hun Sen Vows to Lead For One More Decade
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 01:24:35 am »
Home | News | Cambodia
Hun Sen Asks US Peace Corps to Pull Out of Cambodia

Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen called on the United States on Friday to withdraw its Peace Corps volunteers from his country a day after he said he was suspending cooperation with Washington to find the remains of Americans killed in the Vietnam War.

"It's good if you pull out the Peace Corps," Hun Sen said as he stepped up his criticism of Washington at a gathering of 10,000 garment workers at Vattanac Industrial Park on the southwestern outskirts of Phnom Penh.

The Peace Corps was established in 1961 to promote world peace and good will. It has been operating in Cambodia since 2006, involved mostly in English-language teaching and health-care training. About 500 Americans have participated in such stints so far.

Continued: http://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodia/peacecorps-09152017191427.html

I would guess what this is about is that we, the USA, are probably saying they are not having fair elections, so this is their reaction to that.