Author Topic: Internal Combustion: If You Can’t Beat ’Em… Ban ’Em!  (Read 2010 times)

Offline thackney

Internal Combustion: If You Can’t Beat ’Em… Ban ’Em!
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:58 pm »
Internal Combustion: If You Can’t Beat ’Em… Ban ’Em!
https://spectator.org/internal-combustion-if-you-cant-beat-em-ban-em/
September 14, 2017

...There are IC engine No Go Zones in Germany and France. The Brits have just decreed a ban on the sale of internal combustion-engined vehicles period, beginning in 2040.

This sounds like a long time from now but isn’t — because car companies begin designing cars about ten years before they see the light of production and so the fatwa means the car companies are on notice that the current generation of cars they are selling is either the last or the second-to-last generation of cars they will be selling… at least insofar as they are powered by internal combustion.

And so, they won’t be wasting resources to design and build the next generation.

It’s not just Britain, either.

If it were, the madness could be contained. Instead, the madness metastasizes.

India — well, the government of India — wants all IC engined cars off the road — or retrofitted with electric drivetrains — by 2030, which is only about ten years away and so just over the horizon as far as product planning cycles go.

And now the commissars in China have announced they are all in… or out — depending on your point of view. The world’s largest market for cars and the world’s largest manufacturer of cars.

Same 2030 extinction-by-decree date....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Internal Combustion: If You Can’t Beat ’Em… Ban ’Em!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:52 pm »
Once you take away individual power supplies like diesel and gasoline engines, and replace them with central power supplies, like electric motors which will mostly depend upon refueling via grid, you have not only stripped freedoms by being held under the thumbs of the state, but also have greatly increased risks of disruptions to that supply.

Imagine fighting a war using electric vehicles, too.

The wackos quest for saving earth will get them killed, as well as the compliant populace which goes along with this madness.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 02:19:45 pm »
Once you take away individual power supplies like diesel and gasoline engines, and replace them with central power supplies, like electric motors which will mostly depend upon refueling via grid, you have not only stripped freedoms by being held under the thumbs of the state, but also have greatly increased risks of disruptions to that supply.

The wackos quest for saving earth will get them killed, as well as the compliant populace which goes along with this madness.

Imagine hurricane evacuations with range limited to previously charged electric vehicles.  Anyone who experienced Houston's Rita Evacuations (which killed more people without a hurricane than Harvey did) should have a valuable lesson.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 03:05:42 pm »
Imagine hurricane evacuations with range limited to previously charged electric vehicles.  Anyone who experienced Houston's Rita Evacuations (which killed more people without a hurricane than Harvey did) should have a valuable lesson.

Read something over the weekend where a writer expressed the opinion that the Irma evacuation had done great damage to the environment.  Her solution is that in the future only electric vehicles should be used for evacuation.

Grab your electric car, travel 100 miles, look for a charging station, charge your car for an hour, drive another 100 miles,  repeat.  Heck, the folks in the south who could not fly out, would never get out of the state.  Charging stations are dependent upon the power grid being functional.  I can see it now, massive traffic jams at the charging stations, 1000's of electric cars stranded on the road and the storm catching up with the them before they can leave the state.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:07 pm »
Read something over the weekend where a writer expressed the opinion that the Irma evacuation had done great damage to the environment.  Her solution is that in the future only electric vehicles should be used for evacuation.

Grab your electric car, travel 100 miles, look for a charging station, charge your car for an hour, drive another 100 miles,  repeat.  Heck, the folks in the south who could not fly out, would never get out of the state.  Charging stations are dependent upon the power grid being functional.  I can see it now, massive traffic jams at the charging stations, 1000's of electric cars stranded on the road and the storm catching up with the them before they can leave the state.

As more become available, charging stations will become more prevalent.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/10/16283330/tesla-hurricane-irma-update-florida-extend-range-model-s-x-60-60d
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 06:54:52 pm »
As more become available, charging stations will become more prevalent.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/10/16283330/tesla-hurricane-irma-update-florida-extend-range-model-s-x-60-60d

Going from 200 miles to 241 miles is not going to make a significant difference on millions of people trying to leave an area.  There isn't going to be a anywhere near enough charging stations.  There isn't enough gas stations and ranges on gasoline vehicles for such an activity.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:39:27 am »
Excellent piece, read the whole thing.

Someday bureaucrats will discover that they can't change the laws of physics by fiat. Hmmm... then again, considering who they are, they'll probably never comprehend that.

Prediction:
We'll see folks riding horses and using them to pull buggies again, before we see the numbers of electric vehicles on the roads outnumbering the internal combustion ones.

Let's see electric-powered trucks that can compete with the average diesel tractor/semi of today for horsepower and distance.

And once they ban diesel-powered freight trains, we'll see the railroads go back to steam locomotives -- powered by COAL.. ;)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 07:50:20 pm »

Tell ma EVs wouldn't be the motivation behind EMP producing weapons. They could actually motivate people to attack using nukes to paralyze a country, economy, or military.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 07:53:07 pm »
Going from 200 miles to 241 miles is not going to make a significant difference on millions of people trying to leave an area.  There isn't going to be a anywhere near enough charging stations.  There isn't enough gas stations and ranges on gasoline vehicles for such an activity.
You still have to keep the grid up to charge those cars. After/even during the storm, how will EVs fare in water? Especially brackish or salt water from a storm surge?

My Sixth Sense is saying "I see dead people".

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:21:19 pm »
Physics has never been their strong suit.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:29:50 pm »

For many people it would be travel 25 miles and look for a recharge.   The traffic was horrendous.    They never closed/reversed the southbound lanes but they did allow people to drive on the shoulders.  That didnt seem to help much as many of the bridges don't have enough space for an extra lane.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 01:30:33 pm »
You still have to keep the grid up to charge those cars. After/even during the storm, how will EVs fare in water? Especially brackish or salt water from a storm surge?

My Sixth Sense is saying "I see dead people".

Not to mention would the grid handle trying to charge all those cars at one time.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »
Not to mention would the grid handle trying to charge all those cars at one time.
It wouldn't. Now for the real horrorshow: If there are enough electrics out there, they will inevitably clog the roadways as their charge gives out, and then the evac halts because even gasoline engine vehicles and diesels can't get through the piles of dead EVs.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 02:41:48 pm »
I hope many of our international competitors do ban fossil fuels. 

Can you imagine the competitive advantage in cost of producing goods we will get here in the US?

Let them play stupid, and we'll enjoy the boom of the 2020's and 2030's.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »

Can you imagine the competitive advantage in cost of producing goods we will get here in the US?

Can you imagine the military advantage? Electric tanks?  :nometalk:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:25:38 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:39 am »

I'm with you.  Let 'em go green.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington