Author Topic: If Bob Menendez is guilty, boot him: No place for a senator on the take  (Read 862 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

If Bob Menendez is guilty, boot him: No place for a senator on the take
NY Daily News, Sep 12, 2017, Editorial Board

New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez stands trial in federal court, credibly charged with trading lavish gifts for government favors.

If convicted, he must be swiftly ejected from office by a bipartisan vote of his peers — never mind the collateral damage to the Senate Democratic caucus of which he is a part when Jersey’s governor, currently Republican Chris Christie, gets to tap a successor.

Minority Leader Chuck Schumer ought to waste no time making that ethical standard clear.

Prosecutors, marshaling mountains of evidence, build a persuasive case that Menendez traded cash and gifts for official aid for ophthalmologist Salomon Melgen, a South Floridian convicted earlier this year of robbing Medicare of more than $100 million.

More: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/bob-guilty-boot-no-place-senator-article-1.3487910

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: If Bob Menendez is guilty, boot him: No place for a senator on the take
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:42:41 pm »
Wow.  This editorial is devastating for Menendez ... it comes from the city's other "liberal rag".

In addition to a direct hit on the Senator, the article also clearly presents what the case is about.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:08 pm »
Bet Mitch won't do a thing if he's convicted. It will take Schumer to do something about it, which he won't.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:26:56 pm »
Bet Mitch won't do a thing if he's convicted. It will take Schumer to do something about it, which he won't.

I'll bet you are 100% right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »
Wow.  This editorial is devastating for Menendez ... it comes from the city's other "liberal rag".

In addition to a direct hit on the Senator, the article also clearly presents what the case is about.

Which is why you have to ask what's in it for them?  Do they already have a rock-solid far-left replacement lined up, for example.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »
Expulsion isn't automatic if he's found guilty of a Felony?  If not, it seems outrageous a Senator can stay in his seat after that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:27 pm »
Expulsion isn't automatic if he's found guilty of a Felony?  If not, it seems outrageous a Senator can stay in his seat after that.
@Cyber Liberty
I found this which might be helpful

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34716.pdf

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:29 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
I found this which might be helpful

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34716.pdf

Interesting, but not surprising.  I reflected on it a bit, and it seems like this would be a separation of powers issue.  A corrupt court could throw out any sitting Senator if they wanted to.  See:  Tom Delay.

OTOH, it would be politically untenable if the Senate permitted somebody convicted of Bribery to stay in the Senate.  Even Dems would have trouble explaining that to their dimwitted voters.  But there are always exceptions.  See:  Alcee Hastings.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: