Author Topic: NUSA Op-Ed: Amnesty for 'Dreamers' Won't Solve Policy Flaw Creating DACA Dilemma  (Read 305 times)

rangerrebew

NUSA Op-Ed: Amnesty for 'Dreamers' Won't Solve Policy Flaw Creating DACA Dilemma

Published: 
Tue, Sep 12th 2017 @ 1:22 pm EDT

NumbersUSA President, Roy Beck, wrote an op-ed that was published on The Hill’s website today on what caused the DACA dilemma and how another amnesty will only increase, not end, this problem.

Read the full op-ed at The Hill.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/nusa-op-ed-amnesty-dreamers-wont-solve-policy-flaw-creating-daca-dilemma

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Nope. If you want, grandfather the legit ones, but it needs sunsetted. Get rid of anchor-baby laws too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Agreed (for the most part).

But... no "grandfathering".
The illegal children of illegals should be offered no full amnesty nor automatic citizenship.

However, I might be willing to compromise on this:
If the [illegal] child of illegal immigrants has been here for a certain period of time, say, at least 10-15 years, has achieved an American education, has a clean record (i.e., no criminal convictions), we might grant them a special green card status as "permanent alien resident". Allow them to function in society as quasi-residents (i.e., pay taxes and draw Social Security) if they meet the qualifications to do so.

BUT... no "citizenship", NO right to vote.

This is as far as I'm willing to go.
"Second class half-citizen", you might retort.
To that I would answer, "yes, exactly".
There is a price to pay, and even though their immigration status is due to "the sins of the fathers", they cannot escape it.

They should consider themselves lucky that we would be willing to give them that much.

Under strict interpretation of the law, they would otherwise be as "deportable" as any other illegal.