Author Topic: In Surprise Vote, House Passes Amendment to Restrict Asset Forfeiture  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In a stunning move, the House of Representatives on Tuesday approved an amendment to the Make America Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act that will roll back Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s expansion of asset forfeiture.....

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/12/in-surprise-vote-house-passes-amendment-to-restrict-asset-forfeiture/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: In Surprise Vote, House Passes Amendment to Restrict Asset Forfeiture
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:42 pm »
Betcha old Mitch lets it die in the Senate.
The Republic is lost.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »
Good.  I appreciate Sessions law and order posture, but property rights need to be protected in this country.  They have been under assault from both right and left for too long.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:31:10 pm »
The House did something that benefits us?  Weird.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »

It's sad I always have to wonder "What's the catch?"

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:37:25 pm »

Will be short lived.  Just wait until a Warren or Sanders presidency.  Your IRA, 401K.  & Pensions will be targets of a dim confiscation for a turn key gov. run retirement SS funding plan.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:02 pm »
Good.  I appreciate Sessions law and order posture, but property rights need to be protected in this country.  They have been under assault from both right and left for too long.

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »
Betcha old Mitch lets it die in the Senate.

If so then I hope he pays the price for it.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:29 pm »

I may be the only one on this thread to say this, but I find Sessions to be loathsome.  His CAF posture is Constitutionally lawless--and that is the very worst kind of lawlessness. 

I remember conservatives cheering when Sessions was nominated, and I assumed that he was a good guy--until I learned more about him.  No one with his ideology of drastic federal overreach in the name of "law and order" should be praised for anything else he claims to stand for.  He is a swinish elitist.

I even loathe Giuliani for the same reason. 

Offline the_doc

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:25 pm »
I may be the only one on this thread to say this, but I find Sessions to be loathsome.  His CAF posture is Constitutionally lawless--and that is the very worst kind of lawlessness. 

I remember conservatives cheering when Sessions was nominated, and I assumed that he was a good guy--until I learned more about him.  No one with his ideology of drastic federal overreach in the name of "law and order" should be praised for anything else he claims to stand for.  He is a swinish elitist.

My point, @massadvj, is that we ought to get rid of nominal Republicans who are flagrantly contemptuous of due process.  These guys are no better than RINOs, even if they seem to be very good in some ways.  We can tolerate differing opinions on a large number of things, but not something like CAF. 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:03:54 pm »
Will be short lived.  Just wait until a Warren or Sanders presidency.  Your IRA, 401K.  & Pensions will be targets of a dim confiscation for a turn key gov. run retirement SS funding plan.

Why would they use them to fund SS, don't they have their own retirement plan?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:04:15 pm by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »
Why would they use them to fund SS, don't they have their own retirement plan?

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
I've seen estimates of $4Trillion being held in 401Ks and IRAs.   The Demonrats want to get their hands on that money.  During Obamas reign they proposed bills to confiscate all that wealth and convert it into govt bonds.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:18:11 pm »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
I've seen estimates of $4Trillion being held in 401Ks and IRAs.   The Demonrats want to get their hands on that money.  During Obamas reign they proposed bills to confiscate all that wealth and convert it into govt bonds.

I don't know how they pass something like that without everyone taking the hit and pulling their money out before it can pass.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Sad part is you could confiscate all that wealth and it wouldn't mean squat in the long game. Social security spending is three quarters of a trillion per year. So you got about five years worth in K's and IRA's.

Just a stopgap at best.
The Republic is lost.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 07:26:02 pm »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@driftdiver

I agree.  The "joke" I was trying to make was that since Congress doesn't participate in SSI, they wouldn't target using the money to shore up SSI.   They would want to use it to fund whatever retirement plan they as members of Congress participate in.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm »
Wow, a conservative idea passed the house.

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 07:41:31 pm »
Wow, a conservative idea passed the house.

Due to bipartisan support. Maybe we'll see who voted each way.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:57 pm »
My point, @massadvj, is that we ought to get rid of nominal Republicans who are flagrantly contemptuous of due process.  These guys are no better than RINOs, even if they seem to be very good in some ways.  We can tolerate differing opinions on a large number of things, but not something like CAF. 

As a small l libertarian with some longstanding political scrapes and bruises, I have had to make a number of pragmatic choices over the years.  Long ago I figured out that I prefer associating with people on the right rather the left simply because I value economic freedom greatly, and feel the other freedoms we enjoy are not really possible without property rights.  By virtue of its ideology, the left represents a continual existential threat to property rights, and so I am generally ready to get into bed with anyone who will fight the left.

Few have been as unwavering as Jeff Sessions when it comes to defeating leftist ideology, so I am maybe a bit more willing to cut him and his ilk a little slack.  I do vigorously oppose conservatives when they support expansion of the police state.   

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 08:37:05 pm »

It will be interesting, as property rights is a basic conservative tenet.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 08:46:33 pm »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I've even seen some Republicans propose similar plans.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 08:50:44 pm »

From the story:

The amendment passed with a voice vote, meaning it had overwhelming support.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 08:55:12 pm »
From the story:

The amendment passed with a voice vote, meaning it had overwhelming support.

Thanks, but it's unfortunate that we won't know who voted for or against.

Offline DB

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »

You are not the only one. Those who trample over our most basic of constitutional rights are tyrants and should not be in any position of power. I was opposed to Sessions from the start for this very reason.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
From the story:

Thanks, but it's unfortunate that we won't know who voted for or against.

That's perzackly why they did it by voice vote.

Offline DB

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »
As a small l libertarian with some longstanding political scrapes and bruises, I have had to make a number of pragmatic choices over the years.  Long ago I figured out that I prefer associating with people on the right rather the left simply because I value economic freedom greatly, and feel the other freedoms we enjoy are not really possible without property rights.  By virtue of its ideology, the left represents a continual existential threat to property rights, and so I am generally ready to get into bed with anyone who will fight the left.

Few have been as unwavering as Jeff Sessions when it comes to defeating leftist ideology, so I am maybe a bit more willing to cut him and his ilk a little slack.  I do vigorously oppose conservatives when they support expansion of the police state.

Sessions' error is far too destructive to our basic constitutional rights to forgive due to his other perceived good deeds. This is toxic to our core as a country.