Author Topic: Venice: William Friedkin on Shooting a Real Exorcism: ‘It Was Terrifying!’  (Read 398 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Venice: William Friedkin on Shooting a Real Exorcism: ‘It Was Terrifying!’
International Correspondent   Nick Vivarelli

When William Friedkin shot “The Exorcist” in 1973, he had never seen an exorcism, though even at the time he believed in the power of this rite. Decades later, the U.S. director came full circle when he was able to film one close up — involving violent thrashing, foaming at the mouth and screaming — thanks to Father Gabriele Amorth, who performed exorcisms for the Vatican’s Rome Diocese. The result is documentary “The Devil and Father Amorth,” which screened at the Venice Film Festival. Friedkin spoke to Variety about the experience.

How did you and Father Amorth connect?

I was familiar with his books, four or five of which are translated into English. And I knew that he was kindly disposed towards “The Exorcist” movie, even though he had said the special effects were over the top. He felt that it helped people to understand his work. I had never tried to meet him; I never thought I could. But I was in Lucca [Italy] a year or so ago…and someone casually mentioned that Lucca was about a half-hour drive to Pisa…where there was an airport where I could catch a one-hour flight to Rome. Something clicked, and through a friend I was able to write Father Amorth. Two days later he wrote me back, and said he would meet me.

Continued: http://variety.com/2017/film/festivals/venice-william-friedkin-on-shooting-a-real-exorcism-1202546386/

I had heard and read about the aforementioned, Father Amorth prior. I can't remember now, I wasn't that big of a fan of his but the article is still interesting.  Oh, he was the one against yoga, anyway, wiki bio here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_Amorth

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:42:40 pm by TomSea »