Author Topic: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates  (Read 47275 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: North Korea Crisis Live Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:53 am »
Meanwhile Iran is going down the same road. It is only a matter of time before they do their first test. I think it will be a lot sooner than the "experts" claim.
I think Iran won't test. THey've goofed around with missiles already. All they need is the payload. I'd bet they and the DPRK are working together at some level. I think Iran will simply attack when they get the number of devices they want.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:55 am »
Meanwhile Iran is going down the same road. It is only a matter of time before they do their first test. I think it will be a lot sooner than the "experts" claim.

You've already seen it.  The cooperation between Iran and North Korea has been going on for years.  They were trying to build a Yeongbyong style reactor in Syria before Israel bombed it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:36:42 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2017, 04:46:15 pm »
WW3 fears: North Korea could drop nuclear bomb on US from SATELLITE
NORTH Korea could drop a nuclear bomb on the United States using Kim Jong-un's satellites, it has been claimed amid increasing tensions threatening the outbreak of World War 3.
By Belinda Robinson
PUBLISHED: 16:19, Wed, Sep 6, 2017 | UPDATED: 17:13, Wed, Sep 6, 2017

Experts have called for North Korea' satellites to be inspected before take-off as fears grow Kim Jong-un could be ready to use one to drop a hydrogen bomb on mainland America.

Kim Jong-un was spotted in a H-bomb factory with his generals last week following North Korea's sixth nuclear test.

Homeland Security expert Peter Pry suggests a powerful H-bomb could be dropped from one of the rogue state’s satellites onto the US, sparking mayhem.

The blast could cause a gigantic electromagnetic pulse (EMP) which would interfere with America’s electrical grid leading to death and destruction.

Continued: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/850778/World-war-3-North-Korea-vs-USA-Kim-Jong-Un-H-bomb-on-US-Donald-Trump

Offline TomSea

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2017, 04:49:54 pm »
Russia's Putin: No need to be 'swept up' by North Korea provocations
By Elizabeth Shim Contact the Author   |   Sept. 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Sept. 6 (UPI) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin would never recognize North Korea as a nuclear weapons state, he said during a joint press conference with South Korean President Moon Jae-in during the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok.

But Putin also called for calm and urged avoiding being "swept up" by emotions that could only heighten tensions on the peninsula.

Putin, who is the second world leader to hold a summit with Moon, said "special attention" was placed on the "situation on the Korean peninsula" during talks, South Korean news service Newsis reported.

Continued: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/09/06/Russias-Putin-No-need-to-be-swept-up-by-North-Korea-provocations/8311504704562/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
Putin: North Korea crisis may be 'impossible' to solve
By Hilary Whiteman, CNN
Updated 11:01 AM ET, Wed September 6, 2017
Military players in North Asia

(CNN)A day after predicting "global catastrophe" if North Korea's nuclear tests lead to anything other than talks, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said the situation may be "impossible" to resolve.

Putin made the comments after meeting with South Korean President Moon Jae-in on the sidelines of the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok, Russia.

Putin repeated his assertion that sanctions and pressure won't be enough to rein in North Korea.
"Do not succumb to emotions and drive North Korea into a corner. Now more than ever, everyone needs to be calm and avoid steps that lead to an escalation of tension," Putin said.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/asia/north-korea-russia-vladivostok/index.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2017, 05:53:09 pm »
Good article by NPR, I'll just post the link mainly.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/09/06/548755431/how-north-koreas-nuclear-tests-could-get-even-more-terrifying

How North Korea's Nuclear Tests Could Get Even More Terrifying

At 2:17 p.m. on May 6, 1962, a nuclear-tipped missile shot out of the waters of the Pacific Ocean and quickly disappeared into the sky. Roughly 12 minutes later and over 1,000 miles to the southwest, it detonated in a blinding flash — creating a mushroom cloud over an empty stretch of water.

The test was of a submarine-launched Polaris A-2 missile. It was code-named "Frigate Bird," and it was America's first, and only, end-to-end test of a nuclear missile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orHjD5FWc8

Offline edpc

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2017, 06:08:32 pm »
Whatever they end up creating, they will never be able to top this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8LLcdBaQc

Offline edpc

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2017, 01:22:19 am »
Trump aministration seeks UN authorization to use military force against North Korean smuggling vessels

The United States is seeking United Nations authorization to use military force to board and seize North Korean smuggling vessels on the high seas, dramatically escalating the Trump administration’s nuclear standoff with the Hermit Kingdom, according to a draft resolution obtained by Foreign Policy.

The push for a green light for military action was included in a sweeping U.S. draft Security Council resolution that would ban Pyongyang’s export of oil, liquid gas, and textiles, and forbid the employment of North Korean laborers, who are required to send home a big chunk of their earnings. The draft would also hit North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un, his government, and the ruling Worker’s Party, with sanctions.

The United State’s latest diplomatic gambit comes just days after North Korea on September 3 detonated its sixth, and by far its most powerful, nuclear explosion, triggering widespread expressions of condemnation from Beijing to Moscow and Washington, D.C. In response, the Trump administration is looking to target key economic sectors that contribute to pouring up to $3 billion-a-year in revenue into the North Korean economy — money that U.S. policy-makers believe is funding its nuclear weapons program.

The initiative is likely to face tough pushback from Russia and China, who have both been pressing the administration to resolve its difference with Pyongyang through negotiations. In a meeting with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in Vladivostok, Russian leader Vladimir Putin said that his government firmly opposes the imposition of an oil embargo on North Korea. “We should not act out of emotions and push North Korea into a dead end,” Putin said, according South Korean reporters cited by the New York Times. “We must act with calm and avoid steps that could raise tensions.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-seeks-un-authorization-193332707.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:24:54 am by edpc »

Offline DB

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2017, 04:05:44 am »
Screw Putin. We've already gone down the road of paying for appeasement through Clinton, Bush and Obama. NK took the money, lied and built nuclear weapons anyway.

China and Russia own whatever NK does. They gave birth to that hellhole that has destroyed millions of lives over the decades. A place of pure evil.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2017, 06:56:02 am »
Excellent points, @DB  : All NK has gotten has been appeasement.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:16:12 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2017, 06:55:45 pm »
This was posted in the military forum and seems to be a good article. This on NK seems to ebb and flo, at a point, it appears urgent and then it slows down.

Excerpt:

Has the U.S. actually succeeded with North Korea? A top admiral says so.

.... “I say it has worked because we are not at war.”

Swift reiterated recent pronouncements from the secretaries of defense and state that “all options are on the table” but that diplomacy and pressure were preferred to military action against North Korea.

The international community is in a “much better place” to deal with Pyongyang “than if we had foreclosed on the diplomatic options,” Swift said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/south-korea-calls-for-cutting-north-koreas-oil-supplies-but-russia-is-reluctant/2017/09/06/7f33221c-92de-11e7-8754-d478688d23b4_story.html?utm_term=.cafcf449eb1d

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,280105.0.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:42 am »

North Korea May Fire Another ICBM This Weekend, South Warns

SEOUL, South Korea — Less than one week after North Korea appeared to carry out its sixth nuclear test, South Korea warned Thursday that its neighbor may fire an intercontinental ballistic missile this weekend.

South Korea's prime minister, Lee Nak-yon, suggested that Kim Jong Un, the North's leader, could order a launch on Saturday, the 64th anniversary of the totalitarian regime's founding.

"There is speculation that there could be an additional provocation of firing an ICBM at a normal angle on [Sept.] 9," Lee said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-may-fire-another-icbm-weekend-south-warns-n799426

Wingnut

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2017, 03:45:15 am »
North Korea May Fire Another ICBM This Weekend, South Warns

SEOUL, South Korea — Less than one week after North Korea appeared to carry out its sixth nuclear test, South Korea warned Thursday that its neighbor may fire an intercontinental ballistic missile this weekend.

South Korea's prime minister, Lee Nak-yon, suggested that Kim Jong Un, the North's leader, could order a launch on Saturday, the 64th anniversary of the totalitarian regime's founding.

"There is speculation that there could be an additional provocation of firing an ICBM at a normal angle on [Sept.] 9," Lee said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-may-fire-another-icbm-weekend-south-warns-n799426

I hope Norks do something.  I mean seriously.   I'm getting so tired of all the 24/7 Hurricane and wild fire coverage.  I need something entertainment to watch.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2017, 03:56:51 am »
I think Iran won't test. THey've goofed around with missiles already. All they need is the payload. I'd bet they and the DPRK are working together at some level. I think Iran will simply attack when they get the number of devices they want.

Iran will test a nuclear device alright.  Right over Tel Aviv....
God is still in control

Offline edpc

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2017, 04:10:46 am »
Iran will test a nuclear device alright.  Right over Tel Aviv....

Israel has the Arrow ABM.

Offline TomSea

Oceander

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2017, 07:09:29 pm »
I hope Norks do something.  I mean seriously.   I'm getting so tired of all the 24/7 Hurricane and wild fire coverage.  I need something entertainment to watch.

:bigsilly:

Offline edpc

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2017, 02:11:54 pm »
North Korea Will Make 'Blood-Thirsty U.S. Pay Price' If New Sanctions Approved

North Korea has once again threatened repercussions against U.S. if it attempts to impose more United Nations-wide sanctions on Pyongyang.

The U.N. Security Council is expected to vote on a resolution imposing new restrictions on North Korea on Monday afternoon, in response to Pyongyang’s sixth and most powerful nuclear test to date on September 3.

A statement from North Korea’s foreign ministry published on the state-controlled KCNA news agency threatened the U.S. should the sanctions be approved.

“In case the U.S. eventually does rig up the illegal and unlawful "resolution" on harsher sanctions, the DPRK shall make absolutely sure that the U.S. pays due price,” the statement read, using the country’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-apos-blood-thirsty-122342680.html

If nothing else, they're challenging Trump in bombast.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2017, 06:42:10 pm »
Key GOP lawmaker: Go after North Korea with sanctions and short-wave radio
Olivier Knox
Chief Washington Correspondent
Yahoo NewsSeptember 14, 2017
(Photos: Wong Maye-E/AP; Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON — House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce, R.-Calif., called Wednesday for tough new sanctions on Chinese banks that do business with North Korea. Royce also said the Stalinist regime in Pyongyang has been losing its totalitarian grip on a population increasingly getting information from short-wave radio and contraband South Korean movies.

Royce said in an interview with Yahoo News on Sirius XM POTUS Channel 124 that he had met with a top North Korean defector who played up the impact of communications from the outside world as a way to pressure the government of Kim Jong Un.

Continued: https://www.yahoo.com/news/key-gop-lawmaker-go-north-korea-sanctions-short-wave-radio-112240529.html

Other articles highlight the fact that he wants to sanction 5 different Chinese banks who do business with NK.

Offline edpc

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »
North Korea fires missile from Pyongyang, media reports say, as Japan warns residents to take shelter

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/908454136282263553

Offline edpc

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2017, 02:09:12 am »
South Korea 'fires ballistic missile' in response to North Korea's strike towards Japan

South Korea has reportedly fired a ballistic missile towards North Korea in response to the hermit state's earlier strike.

North Korea fired a missile in an eastern direction, over the island of Hokkaido, from its capital Pyongyang.

South Korea has responded by firing a ballistic missile into waters off its eastern coast, it has been reported.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/south-korea-fires-ballistic-missile-11174721

Offline TomSea

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »
US flies bombers over Korean peninsula for drill: Seoul
AFP | Published — Monday 18 September 2017

SEOUL: The US flew four stealth fighter jets and two bombers over the Korean peninsula on Monday in a show of force after North Korea’s latest nuclear and missile tests, South Korea’s defense ministry said.

Four F-35B stealth fighters and two B-1B bombers flew over the peninsula to “demonstrate the deterrence capability of the US-South Korea alliance against North Korea’s nuclear and missile threats,” the ministry said in a statement.

More: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1163236/world

Offline TomSea

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2017, 03:24:00 pm »
Excerpted:

What would happen if a North Korean missile hit Japan?

By Aisyah Llewellyn | 18th September 2017   | @BRITgrlINDOfood

Even if a strike happened by accident, meaning that North Korea did not intend for a test missile to score a direct hit on Japanese soil, it would still be deemed an act of war.

This would then set off a global chain of events, as the United States would almost certainly launch a counter-attack on North Korea. According to analysts speaking to The Independent, this would be triggered as Japan is a partner of Nato and any strike on Japan would be considered an attack on all the member countries of the Nato alliance.

In the interview with The Independent, Professor Anthony Glees, a security expert with the University of Buckingham, referenced the previous missile test over Japan on the 29th of August and elaborated on the dire implications of a missile either breaking up over Japan or misfiring and hitting the country directly.

“It’s extremely serious. Most wars happen by accident, not by design, and if these missiles had landed on Japan there would have undoubtedly been war this morning,” he said.

The most chilling part of any declaration of all-out war however, is that it would probably only come after serious loss of life around the impact zone of a North Korean missile.

Read more at https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/09/happen-north-korean-missile-hit-japan/#XxWbtgxmZEUxZvEx.99

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2017, 03:31:39 pm »
Pray for the Archduke's safety. It's that intertwined again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2017, 04:19:01 pm »
All the fly bys seem to be doing is aggravating the situation.   Kim either thinks we won't do anything or he doesn't care.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.