Author Topic: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates  (Read 47273 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump: North Korea Summit 'May Not Work Out'
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2018, 06:31:46 am »
Trump: North Korea Summit 'May Not Work Out'
Alana Abramson

South Korean President Moon Jae-in is in Washington Tuesday for a series of meetings with President Trump regarding the upcoming U.S. summit with North Korea – which could be in jeopardy following tough new rhetoric from Pyongyang and a new acknowledgement from Trump.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump said there was a “substantial” chance the summit “may not work out” for June 12, but that a decision would be reached soon. “We’re moving along. We’ll see what happens,” he said. “If it doesn’t happen, maybe it will happen later.”

Trump did not specify the conditions upon which the meeting would be predicated. The meeting between Trump and Moon came one week after North Korea suspended a meeting with South Korea over a joint military exercise with the United States, and threatened to cancel the summit with the U.S. South Korea has been instrumental in urging the two sides to come together.

Read more at: http://time.com/5287057/south-korea-president-moon-jae-in-meets-donald-trump-north-korea/

Offline TomSea

Kim Jong Un is said to be worried about North Korea falling to a military coup while he's rubbing shoulders with Trump in Singapore
David Choi

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is reportedly anxious about a planned summit with President Donald Trump set to take place in Singapore next month.
    Kim is said to be worried about a military coup or other hostile actors who might try to depose him while he's away.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is reportedly anxious about the planned summit with President Donald Trump in Singapore next month, The Washington Post reported Tuesday, citing sources familiar with the preparations.

According to the report, Kim is less concerned about meeting Trump than he is about what might happen at home in Pyongyang while he's gone.

Read more at: http://www.businessinsider.com/kim-jong-un-worried-about-military-coup-singapore-summit-trump-2018-5

Offline TomSea

Same story, the Mirror:

Kim Jong-un 'will hide nukes in North Korea' despite telling West he will shut down weapons programme

Samuel Webb 6 hrs ago

Kim Jong-un will hide his nukes in a mountainous region of North Korea despite announcing he will shut the country’s weapons programme down, it has been claimed.

The leader said he will shut down the nation’s nuclear test site, Punggye-ri, ahead of a planned meeting with US President Donald Trump next month.

But a source told NK News, that the regime has designated Chagang Province a 'Special Military-first Revolutionary Zone' and that the regime will hide its weapons and materials in tunnels beneath the mountains there.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/kim-jong-un-will-hide-nukes-in-north-korea-despite-telling-west-he-will-shut-down-weapons-programme/ar-AAxIEQu

Oceander

Re: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2018, 02:26:26 pm »
Trump calls off the talks.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2018, 04:22:03 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/28/us-halts-new-north-korea-sanctions-as-talks-for-potential-trump-kim-summit-continue-report.html

"US halts new North Korea sanctions as talks for potential Trump, Kim summit continue: report"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:30:29 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:30:41 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2018, 04:30:07 pm »
Whooah, looks like an old article but still relevant.

How Eccentric Dennis Rodman Was Welcomed Home in Pyongyang
Basketball diplomacy follows an abandoned 2009 Eric Clapton visit, showing the important role of Kim family personal interests
Nate Thayer
February 28th, 2013

Today Dennis Rodman made world news by meeting with the North Korean leader to watch a basketball game together, marking the first time an American visiting the DPRK had personally met with Kim Jong Un. After their meeting Rodman said, “Although relations between the two countries are regrettable, personally I am a friend of Marshal Kim Jong Un and the DPRK people.”

The visit to North Korea of basketball star Dennis Rodman may seem odd to outsiders, but the cross dressing, pierced and tattooed Hollywood celebrity has a very high-level fan club in Pyongyang. And it was no coincidence that Vice Media founder Shane Smith, whose organization helped plan the trip, said that Kim Jong Un’s love of basketball was why the trip was approved.

Read more at: https://www.nknews.org/2013/02/how-eccentric-dennis-rodman-was-welcomed-home-in-pyongyang/

Below, from article, Kim Jong Choi, the brother of Kim Jong Un in this picture from Switzerland where apparently both lived at one time and both area big fans of American basketball.

A photo of Kim Jong Chol in a Chicago Bulls shirt, Berne, Switzerland

Offline TomSea

« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2018, 02:18:34 pm »
Trump takes on troubled US-North Korea history
ABC News

The first time Donald Trump met Barack Obama at the White House, days after Trump’s historic win, the president-elect appeared unusually subdued, even nervous.
Interested in North Korea?

“We discussed a lot of different situations, some wonderful, and some difficulties,” Trump said in November 2016, after the meeting, sitting next to Obama and looking ill at ease. “I very much look forward to dealing with the president in the future, including counsel.”

Later that month Trump told The New York Times that he and Obama talked about “a big problem for the country,” which the Times later reported was most likely North Korea.

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/News/trump-prepares-face-decades-north-korean-hostility/story?id=55719218

Offline TomSea

« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2018, 04:14:37 pm »
We are bound to hit some snags in listing demands from North Korea, but it's better than nothing at all and it gets the ball rolling.  Talk of a 2nd summit already shows that perhaps, everything can not be ironed out in one sitting.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2018, 04:30:31 pm »
We are bound to hit some snags in listing demands from North Korea, but it's better than nothing at all and it gets the ball rolling.  Talk of a 2nd summit already shows that perhaps, everything can not be ironed out in one sitting.

I agree, Tom.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2018, 04:33:28 pm »
Wish we could change the Thread Title.   

I mean,  Crisis. What Crisis. 

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »
Wish we could change the Thread Title.   

I mean,  Crisis. What Crisis.

Let's wait until something concrete happens before we declare the crisis over.  Though it looks much more hopeful today than it did a month or two ago.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
Let's wait until something concrete happens before we declare the crisis over.  Though it looks much more hopeful today than it did a month or two ago.

Okay.  I'll just go put on some Supertramp and wait it out.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2018, 05:47:46 pm »
Okay.  I'll just go put on some Supertramp and wait it out.

Good choice.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2018, 06:19:51 pm »
NSC Official Says North Korea Media Reports Are A Sign for “Optimism”

June 11, 2018

Singapore- Emerald Robinson, Chief White House Correspondent

A senior White House official tells One America News that the recent reports from North Korea state run media regarding the summit in Singapore between President Trump and Kim Jong Un is a “sign for optimism.”

After weeks of silence regarding the upcoming summit, KCNA finally began reporting on the meeting Monday morning. An editorial in Rodong Sinmun, a state-run newspaper, confirmed that Mr Kim had travelled to Singapore to meet Mr Trump and that “we will establish a new relationship to meet the changing demands of the new era”.  The editorial went on to say that the leaders will exchange opinions on how to “establish a permanent and peaceful regime in the Korean peninsula and to solve problems that are of common concern, including issues to realise the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula”.  The piece even raised the idea of normalisatition saying “we shall seek normalisation through dialogue.”

North Korea’s state run television network, KCNA, also reported on the leader’s trip to Singapore saying Kim will exchange “wide-ranging and profound views on the issue of establishing new DPRK (North Korea)-U.S. relations, the issue of building a permanent and durable peace-keeping mechanism on the Korean Peninsula, the issue of realizing the denuclearization” and other issues.”  The Trump Administration official said this is a cause for “optimism” given KCNA’s “history of reporting.”...

http://www.oann.com/nsc-official-says-north-korea-media-reports-are-a-sign-for-optimism/

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline WingNot

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »

Offline corbe

« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:56 am »
   Dennis is melting down, emotionally crying on CNN (the only TV news I get).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2018, 01:41:30 am »
   Dennis is melting down, emotionally crying on CNN (the only TV news I get).

You sleep in the airports?

Offline corbe

« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2018, 01:44:28 am »
   No @Wingnut my cable package is really screwed up right now.  If I had FOX I'd be watching it right now instead of this crap.
   TV's haven't been turned on since the Warriors beat my Rockets, weeks ago.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2018, 03:36:55 pm »
North Korea's Kim Jong Un sends Chinese president birthday letter and flowers, state media says
By Jason Lemon On 6/15/18 at 1:35 PM

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reportedly sent a birthday note and flowers to his counterpart in China, President Xi Jinping.

Kim sent the congratulatory letter to Beijing as a friendly gesture on Friday, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported. According to the report, the move signals “restored” relations between the two Asian leaders. Although Kim has previously sent Xi birthday greetings, this marks the first time since 2013.

Although China has traditionally been an ally to North Korea as well as its biggest trading partner, the relationship has taken a downturn in recent years. In 2013, relations eroded quickly when Kim executed his uncle, the once powerful Jang Song Thaek who had close ties with Beijing. That same year, Pyongyang moved ahead with a nuclear test opposed by its northern ally.

Read more at: http://www.newsweek.com/kim-jong-un-sends-chinese-president-birthday-note-flowers-979636

Trump Says He Plans to Make Phone Call to North Korea on Sunday
By Margaret Talev and Terrence Dopp

President Donald Trump said he will make a phone call to North Korea on Sunday, continuing his administration’s dialog with the regime days after his summit with Kim Jong Un in Singapore.

“I’m going to actually be calling North Korea,” Trump said in an interview on Fox News. The president didn’t elaborate on who he would call or the purpose of the conversation, and the White House didn’t immediately provide more information.

Trump and Kim committed to the “complete denuclearization” of the Korean peninsula during a summit in Singapore on Tuesday in a declaration that avoided addressing contentious details on how to achieve the goal and didn’t provide a timetable for progress.

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-15/trump-says-halting-u-s-south-korea-military-exercises-his-idea

Offline TomSea

« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2018, 03:41:16 pm »
Trump pick for South Korea ambassador says North Korea remains a nuclear threat
By Nicole Gaouette

Washington (CNN)Harry Harris, the Trump administration's nominee to be ambassador to South Korea, said North Korea continues to be a nuclear threat and that major military exercises should be paused to give Kim Jong Un a chance to prove whether he is "serious."

President Donald Trump announced in Singapore that the US would suspend "war games" with South Korea and Japan, taking Seoul, Tokyo, lawmakers and parts of the US military by surprise.

"In my previous capacity, I spoke very strongly about the need to continue military exercises, most notably in 2017," Harris said at his nomination hearing before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday. But he noted that, "we were in a different place in 2017. North Korea was launching missiles ... if war wasn't imminent, it was likely."

Read more at: https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/politics/trump-harris-south-korea-ambassador-nominee/index.html

North Korea general scolds South Korea officials at Panmunjom

June 15 (UPI) -- Working-level military talks at Panmunjom between North and South Korea became protracted and a North Korean lieutenant general made the abrupt suggestion to not have similar conversations in the future, according to a South Korean press report.

EDaily reported Friday that during Thursday's meeting at the truce village, North Korean Lt. Gen. An Ik San said he did not want to have talks, in response to a meeting that failed to reach a specific consensus on hot-button issues involving the armed forces.

"Let's not hold this kind of conversation again, I mean the military. We started today to create a dialogue culture in the areas of speed, questions and content, but this is unfortunate. I understand the circumstances of your side, but in the future let's be better prepared and make sure this does not happen again."

Read more at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2018/06/15/North-Korea-general-scolds-South-Korea-officials-at-Panmunjom/1801529080852/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2018, 12:49:44 am »
North Korea working to deceive USA, hide ongoing nuclear production

White House national security adviser John Bolton said on Sunday he believed the bulk of North Korea's nuclear programme could be dismantled within a year, as USA media reported that the hermit nation had recently increased production for nuclear weapons.

"If they have the strategic decision already made to do that, and they're cooperative we can move very quickly", he said, adding, "It's to North Korea's advantage to see these programs dismantled very quickly" to speed the elimination of worldwide sanctions and clear the way for foreign aid.

He said the one-year program the U.S. is proposing would cover all of the North's chemical and biological weapons, nuclear programs and ballistic missiles.

Read more at: http://viralshow247.com/2018/07/02/north-korea-working-to-deceive-usa-hide-ongoing-nuclear/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2018, 02:41:48 pm »
Pompeo says North Korea weapons work counter to denuclearization pledge
David Brunnstrom

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Less than two months after a landmark U.S.-North Korea summit in Singapore, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew back to the city state on Friday and said North Korea’s continued work on weapons programs was inconsistent with its leader’s commitment to denuclearize.

Pompeo was asked en route to Singapore about his statement in the U.S. Senate last month that North Korea was continuing to make bomb fuel and reports that North Korea, led by Kim Jong Un, was building new missiles.

“Chairman Kim made a commitment to denuclearize,” Pompeo told reporters. “The world demanded that they (North Korea) do so in the U.N. Security Council resolutions. To the extent they are behaving in a manner inconsistent with that, they are a) in violation of one or both the U.N. Security Council resolutions and b) we can see we still have a ways to go to achieve the ultimate outcome we’re looking for.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asean-singapore-northkorea-usa/pompeo-says-north-korea-weapons-work-counter-to-denuclearization-pledge-idUSKBN1KO0Z5

Offline Absalom

« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2018, 04:47:44 am »
It appears a whole live thread is needed for the ongoing situation.  The situation is a bit unreal.
--------------------
It's obvious that many are easily beguiled by anything sourced by the
msm; whose raging objective is to discredit everything Trump attempts.
Pompeo said boilerplate equivalent to 2+2 = 4 and hardly worthy
of "breaking news".

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:50:25 am by Absalom »