Author Topic: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates  (Read 47339 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: North Korea Crisis Live Thread
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2018, 03:49:58 pm »
Report: China Moves 300,000 Troops Closer to North Korean Border
by Frances Martel5 Feb 20181,254

The South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo cited Radio Free Asia (RFA) in a report Monday, stating that RFA had compiled evidence that China had “late last year deployed another missile defense battery at an armored division in Helong, west of Longjing in the Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture.”

The “North Korean source in China” speaking to RFA also noted that Pyongyang had observed the movement of 300,000 troops closer to the North Korean border and ...

Continued at: http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2018/02/05/report-china-moves-300000-troops-closer-north-korean-border/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2018, 06:54:04 am »
North Korea Invites South’s Leader to Pyongyang—and Creates a Dilemma for Allies
Kim Jong Un’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, conveyed the invitation to President Moon Jae-in

By Jonathan Cheng and
Andrew Jeong
Updated Feb. 10, 2018 2:56 p.m. ET

SEOUL—North Korean leader Kim Jong Un invited his South Korean counterpart for a summit in Pyongyang, presenting Seoul with a quandary: accept, and risk heightening differences with the U.S. over how to rein in the North’s nuclear program, or decline, and risk a chance to build on a thaw in cross-border relations.

Wall Street Journal paywall, so that was the first paragraph:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-korean-leader-invites-south-korean-president-to-pyongyang-1518245274

Surely, details can be found elsewhere.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2018, 03:24:48 pm »
This is from antiwar.com so rather than calling them leftists, I'd say they are a bit like the Ron Paul view of things, still, if an Admiral said this, this is just reporting the news but separate the real news from editorial comment:

Top US Admiral: North Korea Plots to ‘Reunify’ Korean Peninsula

Dismisses Idea North Korea Got Nukes to Deter Attack
Jason Ditz Posted on February 14, 2018Categories NewsTags North Korea, Pentagon   

US Pacific Commander Admiral Harry Harris, testifying Wednesday before the House Armed Services Committee, accused North Korea of making its recent military advances exclusively with an eye toward forcibly unifying the Korean Peninsula “under a single communist system.”
Reunification Monument, Pyongyang, North Korea

Admiral Harris scorned the idea that North Korea had gotten nuclear arms to try to protect North Korea from a US-imposed regime change, saying he believes Kim’s ambitions are to “blackmail the South and other countries in the region, and us.”

https://news.antiwar.com/2018/02/14/top-us-admiral-north-korea-plots-to-reunify-korean-peninsula/

Antiwar.com also has some extreme hater types commenting, Unpatriotic and Russian troll types and the like.

Offline verga

« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:52 pm »
Bookmark
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »
April 23rd, 2018 article from "The Drive War Zone":

North Korea Shows Zero Signs It Is Willing To Consider Denuclearization
Tyler Rogoway
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20344/kim-jong-un-international-man-in-demand

4 days ago, so we will see. This already looks a bit out-of-date.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2018, 03:51:39 am »
Basically, they are saying because China is NK's biggest trading partner, 63% of all trade. And to me, that also says, because North Korea depends on China so much.

Why Does North Korea Have No Choice but to Suspend Nuclear Tests?

By Sunny Chao, Epoch Times

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un announced on April 20 that the country will suspend nuclear tests and missile launches. Why did the dictator suddenly decide to submit to international demands to denuclearize after increased nuclear testing throughout the past year?

A longtime Chinese blogger who frequently comments on domestic economic news, with the pseudonym Manzu Yongshi, penned an article on April 23, explaining that the regime’s about-face may have to do with its rapidly declining trade with China as a result of international pressure, threatening its survival.

China is North Korea’s biggest trading partner. According to data from the Bank of Korea, North Korea’s trade with China made up 63 percent of its total trade in 2007. By 2013, that percentage grew to 89.1 percent. Despite sanctions from the international community, China increased its trade with the regime, the blogger noted. Many necessities such as petroleum and medicine is imported from China, while the North Korean regime primarily exports its coal to China.

After 2013, due to North Korea’s continued nuclear tests, the United States and other countries strengthened their sanctions on North Korea. Thus, trade between China and North Korea decreased slightly, but still remained at the scale of $5.06 billion until the end of 2017, according to China’s official customs data.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/why-does-north-korea-have-no-choice-but-to-suspend-nuclear-tests_2505073.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2018, 03:13:42 am »
World News

North Korea to align with South's time zone as first practical step toward reconciliation

North Korea will shift its time zone 30 minutes earlier to align with South Korea starting May 5 "as a first practical step for national reconciliation and unity," the North's state media said Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea/north-korea-to-align-with-souths-time-zone-as-first-practical-step-toward-reconciliation-idUSKBN1I1040

Offline TomSea

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2018, 10:59:00 am »

“As far as the risk of dealing with a madman is concerned, that’s his problem, not mine,” Trump said.

-----------------

Saw this "joke" at a conservative website, "Biased BBC": https://biasedbbc.org/blog/2018/05/03/on-trump/   , has to be a joke, maybe it was actually said but I doubt it....pretty funny.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
US offers to help rebuild N Korea economy if it denuclearises
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2018, 05:38:05 pm »
This is starting to sound like the Iran Deal Part 2.

The US would be "prepared to work with North Korea to achieve prosperity on the par with our South Korean friends", he told reporters on Friday.
Mr Pompeo, who has just returned from Pyongyang, said he had "good" talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44091279

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: US offers to help rebuild N Korea economy if it denuclearises
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2018, 06:38:31 pm »
If the result is similar the Marshall Plan, it would be worth it.

If N. Korea becomes a member of the peaceful, modern world it will be the benefit of a very long cold war.

BMW now makes vehicles in the former East Germany (Leipzig).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2018, 07:02:52 pm »
If the result is similar the Marshall Plan, it would be worth it.

You pay for it then out of your own pocket - the rest of us are broke and in debt to the tune of trillions hoisted upon our grandchildren not even yet born.

Let them make their own economy work, we can barely keep ours afloat in the sea of red it exists in.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2018, 08:11:25 pm »
What's wrong with allowing South Korea to pay for it?  They stand to benefit the most.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2018, 11:02:49 pm »
What's wrong with allowing South Korea to pay for it?  They stand to benefit the most.

Amen

I have a question.  Probably one that most people have.  What does North Korea have to offer in a global market?  How can you promise such a thing? 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2018, 11:13:56 pm »
Amen

I have a question.  Probably one that most people have.  What does North Korea have to offer in a global market?  How can you promise such a thing?

My understanding is they are rich in mineral resources.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2018, 11:26:19 pm »
It's my tax payers money, I'll gladly give. We've been paying North Korea for who knows for how long? Heckuva lot better than a war.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2018, 11:27:59 pm »

That's right, they have some sort of very rare mineral, I forget which, surely, it can be googled quickly.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2018, 12:15:54 am »
That's right, they have some sort of very rare mineral, I forget which, surely, it can be googled quickly.

Britholite and associated minerals, for their rare-earth metals like cerium, lanthanum, praseodymium, etc.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2018, 12:24:34 am »

Yes they have, could be trillions in minerals.  So being that Trump wanted to take the oil from Iraq I am sure he is expecting as much back and more for helping.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2018, 01:45:44 am »
Britholite and associated minerals, for their rare-earth metals like cerium, lanthanum, praseodymium, etc.

I was hoping one of the Geologists would check in...thanks!  I think I read up to $6 Trillion worth.  They have it, then know it, but they can't get at it.  Of course, so does Venezuela....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2018, 08:40:37 pm »
I was hoping one of the Geologists would check in...thanks!  I think I read up to $6 Trillion worth.  They have it, then know it, but they can't get at it.  Of course, so does Venezuela....

China has a near monopoly on these materials.  It will be very interesting to see how they will try to keep control over the market. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2018, 10:35:53 pm »
China has a near monopoly on these materials.  It will be very interesting to see how they will try to keep control over the market.

Exactly, @Suppressed.  I think China is also interested in Pakistan and Afghanistan partly for the same reason.  I don't think the US will want to entirely abandon either region.  Especially since we're giving China carte blanche in East Africa.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2018, 11:02:33 pm »
Exactly, @Suppressed.  I think China is also interested in Pakistan and Afghanistan partly for the same reason.  I don't think the US will want to entirely abandon either region.  Especially since we're giving China carte blanche in East Africa.

You're right.

Actually, all throughout Africa.  Mineral rich areas like the Congo predominantly go to China.
+++++++++

Offline TomSea

« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2018, 03:10:39 am »
As I said in the other thread and I will just make this much shorter (no pun),

Kim Jong Un has done such terrible things, I mean killing people. I think it will be somewhat problematic to economically aid that country without him stepping down. It probably can be done.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2018, 03:15:13 am »
This is funny per Mike Pompeo via Soledad O'Brien's twitter:

Soledad O'Brien
‏Verified account @soledadobrien

Soledad O'Brien Retweeted Lucas Tomlinson

Wow. This is a pretty crazy thing to say anout the North Korean dictator.

Soledad O'Brien added,
Lucas Tomlinson
Verified account @LucasFoxNews
Pompeo: “I think Chairman Kim [Jong Un] shares the objectives with the American people, I am convinced  of that,” secretary of state says on @FoxNewsSunday
11:11 AM - 13 May 2018

https://twitter.com/soledadobrien/status/995728267540946947

No credit to the CNNers and exCNNers like I guess Soledad is, humor is humor.

And actually, the statement can make sense, it just sounds strange, Kim may want peace and prosperity, just like most of us want as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:17:45 am by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »
Not so much a monopoly on the materials, but they will produce them without being encumbered by everyone from the 'preserve the pretty piece of nowhere we never would see from the ground' to the 'save the three winged butterfly' crowds.

Lawsuits by such obstructionists here make it virtually impossible to develop such resources.

In the absence of environmental group concerns and, for that matter HSE considerations in general, along with a government which will make that production happen, they have the supply of materials pretty much sewed up. I have little doubt that other regions may have significant reserves of Rare Earth minerals, but other geoplolitical considerations apply.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:28:08 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis