Author Topic: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates  (Read 47179 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: North Korea Crisis Live Thread
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »
There's been cooperation between NK and Iran on nuclear research and missile development.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Iran has started up with the bellicose language toward Israel after the latest missile and nuclear tests conducted by NK.  Iran has outsourced their program to appear compliant with the deal.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2017, 08:43:40 pm »
There's been cooperation between NK and Iran on nuclear research and missile development.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Iran has started up with the bellicose language toward Israel after the latest missile and nuclear tests conducted by NK.  Iran has outsourced their program to appear compliant with the deal.
It's why Iran doesn't have to do nuclear weapon research, they can trade techs and have a two-front war the US will end up sucked into or backing away from. I don't see Iran launching on Israel without also launching on any US carrier battle group in range.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:58 pm »
Excellent commentary, @Smokin Joe  @edpc
Thanks.

Offline edpc

« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2017, 11:14:18 am »
North Korea has shot down a US plane in the past - and they could do it again

North Korea has warned it has the right to shoot down US jets in response to Donald Trump's bellicose threats - yet it would not be the first time Pyongyang has carried out such an act.

Ri Yong-ho, the North Korean foreign minister, announced Pyongyang's aggressive new stance in New York, saying the US president had "declared war" by tweeting that Kim Jong-un and his regime "won't be around much longer".

Two US Air Force B-1B Lancer bombers flew off the coast of North Korea in a show of force at the weekend and Mr Ri said the country reserved the right to defend itself even against US aircraft that do not enter its airspace.

The threat, which followed a North Korean propaganda video that showed US aircraft being blown up, recalled an incident in 1969 when North Korean fighters shot down a US surveillance aircraft in international airspace in 1969, killing the 31 crew aboard.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-shot-down-us-042719671.html

They could try it, but great HARM would come to them in the AGM-88 form.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »
North Korea 'aggressively' jamming new BBC radio service: report
Jane Onyanga-Omara, USA TODAY Published 9:10 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2017 | Updated 9:38 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2017
AFP IA01 JDKOREA 11 CRISIS REPUBLIC OF KOREA

North Korea started “aggressively” jamming the BBC’s new Korean language service on the same day it began, according to a report.

The service began broadcasting Tuesday to provide “news, sport, business and culture” to audiences “in the Korean peninsula and Korean speakers around the world” online and on radio, the British broadcaster said when announcing the launch.

“A key focus of the service is North Korea, where government censorship restricts access to independent news,” it added.

Continued at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/09/27/north-korea-jamming-bbc-radio-service-report/707342001/

Offline edpc

« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:57 pm »
Trump on N. Korea: My attitude is the one that matters

WASHINGTON, Oct. 11 (Yonhap) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday that his attitude is "the one that matters" when it comes to resolving the impasse over North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

Trump made the remark in response to a question about whether he and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson are on the same page on how to deal with the communist regime.

"I think I have a little bit different attitude on North Korea than other people might have," he told reporters at the start of talks with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the White House. "And I listen to everybody but ultimately my attitude is the one that matters, isn't it? That's the way it works. That's the way the system is."

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20171012000300315&site=0400000000&mobile

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2017, 12:12:10 am »
Trump on N. Korea: My attitude is the one that matters

WASHINGTON, Oct. 11 (Yonhap) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday that his attitude is "the one that matters" when it comes to resolving the impasse over North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

Trump made the remark in response to a question about whether he and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson are on the same page on how to deal with the communist regime.

"I think I have a little bit different attitude on North Korea than other people might have," he told reporters at the start of talks with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the White House. "And I listen to everybody but ultimately my attitude is the one that matters, isn't it? That's the way it works. That's the way the system is."

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20171012000300315&site=0400000000&mobile

Poorly worded as usual but he's right.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2017, 12:20:27 am »
Poorly worded as usual but he's right.

No question he has the last call, but it sounds - the way it's presented - like he's picking a fight.

Offline edpc

« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2017, 03:05:41 am »
Mysterious absence of North Korea's 'rocket men' raises new nuke, missile fears

Two key officials involved in North Korea’s nuclear and missile program were reportedly nowhere to be seen during public events this week, fueling speculation that another missile launch or nuke test could be imminent.

Ri Man-gon, supervisor of the department for the nuclear and missile development, and Kim Rak-gyom, the head of the strategic rocket forces, were noticeably missing at a Saturday mass rally in Pyongyang and a Tuesday celebration for the anniversary of the Worker’s Party of Korea, according to South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/10/12/top-north-korean-officials-in-missile-program-missing-from-recent-celebrations-report-says.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2017, 04:43:04 pm »
North Korea Renews Guam Threat Ahead of Joint Naval Exercise

SEOUL, South Korea — As the United States and South Korea prepared for next week’s joint naval exercise, North Korean officials on Friday renewed their threat to launch ballistic missiles near Guam, an American territory in the western Pacific.

The drill, which involves the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan, is scheduled to begin on Monday in waters east and west of South Korea. The 10-day exercise will check the allies’ “communications, interoperability and partnership,” the United States Navy’s 7th Fleet said in a statement.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/world/asia/north-korea-renews-guam-threat-ahead-of-joint-naval-exercise.html?referer=http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/*/index

Offline edpc

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2017, 02:14:39 am »
N.K. warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike

SEOUL, Oct. 19 (Yonhap) -- A North Korean agency made a threat Thursday that Pyongyang could stage an "unimaginable" strike on the United States at an unexpected time amid tensions over the North's nuclear and missile programs.

The North's intimidation came as the South Korean and U.S. navies are staging massive joint drills in waters off the Korean Peninsula with the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan being involved.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20171019001200315&site=0200000000&mobile

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2017, 02:24:26 am »
Fatboy always going thru the thesaurus to come up with new words to describe his latest threat.

Now it's "unimaginable". I guess he's down to the U's. LOL

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2017, 10:58:48 am »
Fatboy always going thru the thesaurus to come up with new words to describe his latest threat.

Now it's "unimaginable". I guess he's down to the U's. LOL
Well, if he could stage it, then someone imagined it....so I guess it isn't unimaginable after all.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:10 am »
Well, if he could stage it, then someone imagined it....so I guess it isn't unimaginable after all.  :shrug:

Then let him stage it...let him shoot a missile at Guam, Trump will attack with full force, Fatboy will be dead possibly within an hour if not shortly thereafter.

My guess is Fatboy won't be taken alive. He will windup doing the Adolph Hitler suicide routine.

Offline edpc

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 02:21:44 am »
North Korea is ‘mass producing biological weapons’ and could unleash smallpox, cholera, plague and anthrax on US troops

KIM Jong-un is feared to be secretly mass producing biological weapons to unleash nightmarish plagues on US troops, a report has found.

Under the cover of a farm lab, it is claimed North Korean chemists could be weaponising some the world’s deadliest diseases such as smallpox, Black Death and cholera which could lay waste to millions of people if an epidemic was sparked.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4741354/north-korea-biological-weapons-smallpox-cholera-plague-anthrax-us-troops/

Offline edpc

Offline TomSea

« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2017, 03:29:35 am »
Korea War Seen Killing Up to 300,000 in Days Even Without Nukes
@ACapaccio More stories by Anthony Capaccio
By

October 27, 2017, 2:30 PM CDT October 27, 2017, 4:17 PM CDT

Up to 25 million on both sides of border could be affected

Grim assessment offered by Congressional Research Service

Renewed conflict on the Korean peninsula could kill hundreds of thousands of people in the first few days alone even if no nuclear weapons are involved, according to a new report by the Congressional Research Service.

Given population densities on the peninsula, military conflict “could affect upwards of 25 million people on either side of the border, including at least 100,000 U.S. citizens,” according to a 62-page assessment sent to U.S. lawmakers Friday and obtained by Bloomberg News.

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-27/new-korean-conflict-could-kill-300-000-within-days-report-says

Offline TomSea

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2017, 12:03:22 pm »
2 articles from VOA:

High-level North Korean Defector Urges Engagement With Pyongyang
VOA News

The highest-level North Korean defector to make it out of the country in 20 years says the West must use "maximum engagement" with the Kim Jong Un regime.

Thae Yong-ho is making his first visit to Washington. The former deputy chief of mission at the North Korean embassy in London defected to South Korea with his family last year.

"I decided that the best gift which I may give to my son is the freedom which is so common to everyone here," Thae told the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank, on Tuesday.

Read more: https://www.voanews.com/a/high-level-north-korean-defector-urges-engagement-pyongyang/4094900.html

Reuters: US Engaging in Secret Diplomatic Overtures with N. Korea
VOA News

Reuters news agency says the United States is pursuing direct diplomacy behind the scenes with North Korea, despite the ongoing war of words between President Donald Trump and Pyongyang.

In an exclusive story published Wednesday, Reuters says it has learned from an unnamed State Department official that Joseph Yun, the U.S. special envoy to North Korea, has been speaking with diplomats stationed at the North's United Nations mission, utilizing what is known in the diplomatic trade as "the New York channel."

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/us-north-korea-diplomacy-/4095146.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2017, 12:08:52 pm »
Merchants in China Scramble to Collect Debts Before Beijing Expels North Korean Traders
2017-10-31

Chinese merchants are scrambling to collect massive debts from North Korean traders who bought their goods on credit ahead of the end of the year, when Beijing will force them to leave the country as part of sanctions aimed at freezing Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program, according to sources.

Read more at: http://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/debts-10312017124245.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2017, 02:59:22 am »
North Korea crisis becoming unsolvable, experts warn, as Trump heads to Asia
ABC News

All it would take is a miscalculation — an error in interpretation by a single soldier, for example — to plummet the United States, North Korea and the region into war, some analysts warned.

Imagine a North Korean surface-to-air missile operator who sees a U.S. B-1B bomber flying closer and closer to his country’s airspace and, after years of anti-U.S. propaganda that has portrayed an aggressive invader, thinks his country is at risk. What was a defensive military exercise, by U.S. accounts, becomes an international incident, with two pugnacious leaders — who don’t like to be seen as backing down — risking a wider conflict.

Continued: http://abcnews.go.com/International/north-korea-crisis-unsolvable-experts-warn-trump-heads/story?id=50872436
N. Korea is ready to 'press the button' if U.S. attacks, defector says
by Alexander Smith

North Korean military officers have been trained to trigger a devastating counterstrike if their country is attacked by the United States, according to a high-profile defector.

Former North Korean diplomat Thae Yong Ho's comments to U.S. lawmakers suggest that military action on the Korean peninsula — a course of action repeatedly raised by President Donald Trump — would almost certainly result in a catastrophic number of civilian casualties.

Read more at: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/north-korea-defector-warns-military-will-react-any-sign-u-n816756

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2017, 12:15:20 am »

Bump

Offline edpc

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2017, 01:47:38 am »
North Korean military officers have been trained to trigger a devastating counterstrike if their country is attacked by the United States, according to a high-profile defector.

The problem for them is, their options for counterstrike are severely limited. They have liquid fuel missiles that take time to fuel and position. They’ll be spotted and hit almost immediately. They have no legitimate air force to speak of and no credible navy to strike our fleet.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2017, 06:40:51 pm »
North Korea fires unidentified ballistic missile, South Korea news agency reports

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2017/11/29/0200000000AEN20171129000600315.html

Breaking

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:13 pm »
At some point, aren’t we going to have to blow this country off the map?  I mean, yes, it would be a tragedy for the innocent people, but it looks like it’s them or us.

Offline edpc

« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:26 am »
At some point, aren’t we going to have to blow this country off the map?  I mean, yes, it would be a tragedy for the innocent people, but it looks like it’s them or us.

I've said many times before, I think there would be mass surrenders and defections, similar to Gulf War I.  The recent info about the defecting NK soldier's life in that hell hole makes me believe it more.