Author Topic: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates  (Read 31469 times)

Offline TomSea

North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:37:12 AM »
North Korea preparing more missile launches, says South

South Korea says it has seen indications that the North is preparing more missile launches, possibly an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Defence officials have been briefing parliament in Seoul after the North's test of a nuclear bomb at the weekend.

The South has responded to the test with live-fire exercises, with both ground- and air-launched rockets.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41144356

It appears a whole live thread is needed for the ongoing situation.  The situation is a bit unreal.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:25:45 AM by TomSea »

Offline edpc

• TBR Contributor
  • Professional Misanthrope
I don't buy a lot of the claims NK has made about their missile capabilities and progress with manufacturing a compact warhead.  However, you've had three big developments in the past week:

1 - NK missile launch over Japan
2 - NK test of a claimed missile ready thermonuclear device
3 - NK threat to use weapon as direct strike or EMP weapon

While there's some debate about the true effectiveness of EMP, why take the risk?  Any test missile launched by NK at this point, with a trajectory projected to pass over US or allied territory must be deemed hostile, engaged, and shot down by ABM systems.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:24:55 AM by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

I hope "time is not of the essence" here,  yes, it is to a degree but I saw some article this morning indicating  we may not have time to waste on this matter.

On a different note.
John Bolton?Verified account @AmbJohnBolton 21h21 hours ago

For 25 years North Korea has repeatedly promised to give up its nuclear weapons program and repeatedly lied through its teeth.
https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton

Offline TomSea

John Bolton: "Only Diplomatic Option Left Is To End The Regime In North Korea"

Posted By Tim Hains
On Date September 3, 2017

JOHN BOLTON: The only diplomatic option left is to end the North Korean regime by effectively having the South take it over. You've got to argue with China--

TRISH REGAN, FOX NEWS CHANNEL: That's not really diplomatic!

BOLTON: That is their problem, not ours. Anybody who thinks more diplomacy with North Korea, more sanctions, whether against North Korea, or an effort to apply sanctions against China, is just giving North Korea more time to increase its nuclear arsenal... and put us, South Korea, and Japan in more jeopardy.

We have fooled around with North Korea for 25 years, and fooling around some more is just going to make matters worse.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/09/03/john_bolton_only_diplomatic_option_left_is_to_end_north_korean_regime.html

Offline edpc

• TBR Contributor
Teddy Roosevelt + Yosemite Sam = John Bolton

Offline TomSea

He wrote an editorial once on bombing Iran, to go publicizing such an idea is why many frown on him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/opinion/to-stop-irans-bomb-bomb-iran.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:15:38 AM by TomSea »

Offline edpc

• TBR Contributor
He's not wrong, but his abrasive style doesn't allow his substance to get through with a lot of folks.  My feeling is the Iranians were willing to sign the nuclear deal because they'd outsourced their weapons program to North Korea, anyway.  The attempt to build a copy of Yongbyong in Syria should be (literal) concrete proof of their unholy alliance - Syria being an Iranian proxy state.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"January 20th 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."  --  President Donald J. Trump

Haley: Kim Jong Un 'begging for war'
CNN, Sep 4, 2017, 10:41 AM ET

US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was "begging for war" as she urged the UN Security Council to adopt the strongest sanctions measures possible to stop Pyongyang's nuclear program.

Speaking at a Security Council emergency meeting on Monday morning, Haley said North Korea's sixth nuclear test was a clear sign that "the time for half measures" from the UN had to end.

"Enough is enough," Haley said. "We have taken an incremental approach, and despite the best of intentions, it has not worked."

Haley said talks with North Korea have clearly not worked.

She added that while the United States did not want war, US patience is not unlimited when Pyongyang is threatening with missiles pointed at US territories.

More with video:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/politics/haley-north-korea-united-nations/
"January 20th 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."  --  President Donald J. Trump

Offline edpc

• TBR Contributor

Who the hell is helping NK?

Offline kevindavis

Iran.. I also think China is helping NK by ignoring the threat.
"Last but not least, I was a Republican, a Reagan Republican. Still am. Not a Tea Party Republican. Not a Breitbart Republican. Not a talk radio or Fox News Republican. Not an isolationist, protectionist, immigrant-bashing, scapegoating, get-nothing-useful-done Republican. Not, as I am often dismissed by self-declared "real" conservatives, a RINO, Republican in Name Only. I'm a Reagan Republican, a proponent of lower taxes, less government, free markets, free trade, defense readiness, and democratic internationalism."
John McCain

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

China Russia Iran Pakistan are most likely.

I think it was UAE who just bought 300m dollars in weapons from NK.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline kevindavis

China Russia Iran Pakistan are most likely.

I think it was UAE who just bought 300m dollars in weapons from NK.

That could be to. There is a reason why I can't trust Russia and never will trust Russia.
"Last but not least, I was a Republican, a Reagan Republican. Still am. Not a Tea Party Republican. Not a Breitbart Republican. Not a talk radio or Fox News Republican. Not an isolationist, protectionist, immigrant-bashing, scapegoating, get-nothing-useful-done Republican. Not, as I am often dismissed by self-declared "real" conservatives, a RINO, Republican in Name Only. I'm a Reagan Republican, a proponent of lower taxes, less government, free markets, free trade, defense readiness, and democratic internationalism."
John McCain

Offline corbe

• Cruz plant all along
Re: North Korea Crisis Live Thread
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
No government in the 6,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

I thought NK was helping Iran, not the other way around.   Someone's actively helping NK develop these weapons.

Pakistan?  Russia?

Offline kevindavis

I thought NK was helping Iran, not the other way around.   Someone's actively helping NK develop these weapons.

Pakistan?  Russia?

I think both..  Pakistan and Russia
John McCain

Offline edpc

• TBR Contributor

They received some tech from A. Q. Khan.  Funding is probably coming from China and Iran.  The fissile material is thanks to the Clinton admin with the Agreed Framework.  The weapon design is also courtesy the Clinton admin when they worked with a former Soviet scientist to give Iran fake plans.  The scientist feared Iranian agents more than the CIA, so he corrected the errors and gave them the real deal under Operation Merlin.   We know this because Jeffrey Alexander told James Risen of the NYT.  Alexander is currently in jail, prosecuted during the Obama administration.   It is a real mucking fess, to use a Spoonerism.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:59:05 PM by edpc »

Offline edpc

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

Offline corbe

• Cruz plant all along
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
No government in the 6,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
If they launch toward the pacific I hope se shoot it down  repeatedly   With the later shots hitting pyong yang.
God is still in control

Offline Sanguine

He's not wrong, but his abrasive style doesn't allow his substance to get through with a lot of folks.  My feeling is the Iranians were willing to sign the nuclear deal because they'd outsourced their weapons program to North Korea, anyway.  The attempt to build a copy of Yongbyong in Syria should be (literal) concrete proof of their unholy alliance - Syria being an Iranian proxy state.

I wouldn't use the word "abrasive", and would even go so far as to say that those who find him abrasive do so because they are not familiar with honesty and forthrightness.  Bolton has big boy pants and wears them, unlike many of his detractors.
Cui bono?

Walk in Wisdom
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf