Author Topic: Happiness motivates dog walking, not health or social benefits  (Read 690 times)

rangerrebew

Happiness motivates dog walking, not health or social benefits

August 30, 2017

It appears to be a case of 'do what makes you happy' for people who regularly walk their dogs.

According to new University of Liverpool research, owners are motivated to go dog walking because it makes them feel happy, not because of other health and social benefits.

In the most in-depth study of dog owner's perceptions of dog walking to date, 26 interviews were combined with personal written reflections of dog walking experiences.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20170830/Happiness-motivates-dog-walking-not-health-or-social-benefits.aspx

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Happiness motivates dog walking, not health or social benefits
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »
Dog walking is great, for the pooch and for the owner too.   I try to get at least 10,000 steps a day, and much of that is from dog walking - in the morning, and especially, late at night.  My dog appears to be truly nocturnal - he's sluggish and lazy during the day, but once night falls,  he's springing up and down when I get up and grab the leash.  His primary motivation is marking - every other tree, pole and free-standing object, it seems.   

I've wondered how things would be if humans' concept of property ownership were the same as dogs' -  you can only own what you can pee on, and only for so long as someone else doesn't pee on it.  Then you've got to go out and reclaim ownership,  day after day after day.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:00:28 pm »
I am of the opinion that taking a dog out for a walk is it's time for enjoyment, if it makes me happy too then al the better. I see way too many people dragging their dogs around in a brisk walk, not allowing them to stop, sniff and investigate.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:41:30 pm »
I am of the opinion that taking a dog out for a walk is it's time for enjoyment, if it makes me happy too then al the better. I see way too many people dragging their dogs around in a brisk walk, not allowing them to stop, sniff and investigate.

I agree - the human's motivation is usually to get the dog to "conduct business" as quickly as possible,  but the dog has a different agenda.  My dog's agenda is to be canine mayor - to pee on everything that pokes up out of the ground, and meet every other dog, big or small, with a sniff and a wag.   He's basically oblivious to people, and avoids kids like the plague.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:48:00 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:17 pm »
@Freya

I take daily walks with my two little ones and it is their time. They love to go and when weather prevents it on rare occasions, they are doubly eager for the next day. 
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Millee

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »
My doggeh is two parts hound.  We don't go for "walks" we go for "stop to smell every blade of grass in the neighborhood".   *****rollingeyes*****

Good thing she's so cute.  :lubyou:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:53 pm »
I took mine for a walk last night not knowing that the neighbor had let her dog out to roam.  Startled my dog, who managed to trip me and I ended up in the gravel.  My knee and one hand look like hamburger today.  Grrrr.

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:04:21 pm »
We have two of our own and usually at least one foster they go for a minimum of three walks a day, some with me some with Vergett. I need the exercise and it is a good way for me to wind down. The other reason is to socialize and train the fosters to the leash. Most of the fosters we get are from shelters and are not house trained or leash trained. We want their new owners to have every chance to love them as they should. We also try to get them the basic Sit, Stay, and Come commands. It is a bit of work, but they just want to please you. This also gives us a chance to spoil them rotten.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:29 am »

I've wondered how things would be if humans' concept of property ownership were the same as dogs' -  you can only own what you can pee on, and only for so long as someone else doesn't pee on it.  Then you've got to go out and reclaim ownership,  day after day after day.
People would drink more beer, but that is self limiting.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 01:23:13 am »
I took mine for a walk last night not knowing that the neighbor had let her dog out to roam.  Startled my dog, who managed to trip me and I ended up in the gravel.  My knee and one hand look like hamburger today.  Grrrr.

I ended up stretched full length, face down in the pea gravel.   Some dog snapped at Atticus and ran.  Atticus ran after him until he realized He was about to drag me, bless him.  My face and other parts were scratched up, but not hamburger.  I know that hurts.

Quit walking Atticus in that park.  Too many people who do not control their dogs.

I've noticed a lot of people with little dogs respond to the sight of Atticus by picking up their little guys.  Breaks Atticus' heart because he loves little ones.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.