Author Topic: Probiotic Nightmare  (Read 546 times)

rangerrebew

Probiotic Nightmare
« on: August 31, 2017, 04:19:19 pm »
 Probiotic Nightmare

I have read and researched probiotics and since I have never had a "healthy gut" I decided to give a probiotic a try. The information I read stated that you should have at least 10 different strains and these should run between 10 and 25 billion. I purchased a brand I have used with other supplements and took my first one Thursday morning. By thursday afternoon, I was bloated and having cramps. By Friday, I was running a low grade fever and having chills. Headaches and a spike in my blood sugar soon followed. I figured that this was detoxing all of that bad bacteria, so I took another on an empty stomach Friday evening.

https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/digestive-health/21563/probiotic-nightmare

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Probiotic Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 04:44:17 pm »
No issues with drinking organic apple cider vinegar, Bragg's or our store sells a less expensive one.

It sounds like the subject at the message board mainly took capsules.

Kim chi, yogurt, etc. all offer probiotics from what I understand along with some other exotic foods, tempeh I believe is fermented soy. Ferment soy is good for you; straight soy is up to the individual I would say. Then, there is whether one wants to go organic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 04:46:44 pm »
Pickles and sour-sauer(?) kraut are great but don't they have to be fermented the correct way to have pro-biotics? I think so. It's not just any ol' pickle will be good for you. They have to have those cultures.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:47:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:11:09 pm »
Pickles and sour-sauer(?) kraut are great but don't they have to be fermented the correct way to have pro-biotics? I think so. It's not just any ol' pickle will be good for you. They have to have those cultures.

You're right.  They should be what has traditionally been called sour pickles.  You make a salt water brine and whatever spices you like and allow them to ferment between 70*F - 80*F (though 70-72 is ideal because they stay crisper) for a few days.