Author Topic: FRBs: Repeating Radio Signals Coming from Distant Galaxy Detected by Astronomers  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Suppressed

FRBs: Repeating Radio Signals Coming from Distant Galaxy Detected by Astronomers
Hannah Osborne
Newsweek | August 30, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/frbs-repeating-radio-signals-coming-180300017.html

Repeating radio signals from a mysterious source in a dwarf galaxy 3 billion light-years away have been detected by astronomers.

Using the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia, scientists with the Breakthrough Listen initiative—a massive project dedicated to finding signs of intelligent alien life—recorded 15 repeating fast radio bursts (FRBs) on August 26. The discovery was announced as an Astronomer's Telegram and will be described in further detail in a forthcoming scientific article, according to a statement from Breakthrough Listen.

FRBs last just a few milliseconds and appear to be coming from deep space. Because FRBs have an extremely short duration, and because scientists usually find them in data only after the event has taken place, pinpointing their origin has not been possible.

Since their discovery over 15 years ago, almost two dozen FRBs have been recorded. Most often, they are one-off events, but in 2016 scientists announced in the journal Nature that they had found a repeating radio signal—FRB 121102. By monitoring and tracking this repeating burst, they were able to trace it back to a dwarf galaxy 3 billion light-years away. Still, the source remained elusive. Nothing that we know of in that region of space could be producing these signals.

Now the Breakthrough Listen team has detected 15 more busts coming from FRB 121102. Vishal Gajjar, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Berkeley, where Breakthrough Listen is based, observed the new bursts during a monitoring effort run. Over five hours of observation, he and his colleagues collected 400 terabytes of data over the 4 to 8 GHz frequency band, or C-band, which is mostly used for satellite communications transmissions.

Analysis of the data revealed the new repeating pulses and showed that the source is in a “heightened activity state,” the Astronomers Telegram said. “Follow-on observations are encouraged, particularly at higher radio frequencies,” the team added.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at https://www.yahoo.com/news/frbs-repeating-radio-signals-coming-180300017.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

They are waiting for the frequency Kennith.

Offline RoosGirl

They are waiting for the frequency Kennith.

888high58888

Offline dfwgator

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
It's Llrr from the planet Omichron Perchi 8 watching TV 📺
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:36:38 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

It's a shame the Green Bank Telescope has to be torn down because it's named after Robert C. Byrd, the notorious KKK recruiter and Exalted Cyclops.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:04:14 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
It's a shame the Green Bank Telescope has to be torn down because it's named after Robert C. Byrd, the notorious KKK recruiter and Exalted Cyclops.

Name the telescope after Leela.

She's the only nice and wonderful cyclops in the universe
@Suppressed
@Hopalong Ginsberg

Can they change it and name it after Bradbury or Asimov or Heinlein? Or Clarke?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:06:41 pm by Freya »

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

Name the telescope after Leela.

She's the only nice and wonderful cyclops in the universe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyPM5dhaPH0

@Freya 

Can they change it and name it after Bradbury or Asimov or Heinlein? Or Clarke?

Can't be Heinlein...he believed in self-reliance, etc.
+++++++++

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyPM5dhaPH0

@Freya 

Can't be Heinlein...he believed in self-reliance, etc.

But he liked cats!!!!!

Offline Suppressed

But he liked cats!!!!!

Oh, I'm a great fan of him. It's just that he's not politically correct!
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I thought you were kidding.  Nope.  The largest telescope in the observatory is named the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope.  It must be torn down immediately, if not sooner.

https://greenbankobservatory.org/telescopes/gbt/
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

I thought you were kidding.  Nope.  The largest telescope in the observatory is named the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope.  It must be torn down immediately, if not sooner.

Yup.  I love Green Bank.  My brother did some study there.

But it must go.

'course, the lib line is "But he repudiated his past!"

...yet they still tore down P.G.T. Beauregard's statue!
+++++++++

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

Can't it just be, I dunno... renamed?  :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Can't it just be, I dunno... renamed?  :pondering:

I'm game.  "Cyber Liberty Super Coolio Space Telescope."  Think it will fly?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

That's better than the current name!   888high58888
Let it burn.

Offline RoosGirl

Shaka