Author Topic: South Texas Project nuclear plant running despite Harvey  (Read 977 times)

Offline kidd

South Texas Project nuclear plant running despite Harvey
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:38:45 pm »
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-nuclearpower-idUSKCN1B92KG

The two nuclear reactors at the South Texas Project plant near Houston were operating at full capacity on Tuesday, a spokesman for the plant said, as watchdog groups called for the facility to shut due to Tropical Storm Harvey.

250 “storm crew” workers were running the plant and did not have to venture out into the storm after work shifts because there are beds on site.

Personnel from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) are also at the plant, assessing storm conditions.

“The South Texas Project reactors have been operating safely throughout Harvey and continue to do so,” NRC spokesman Scott Burnell said in an email.

Wingnut

Re: South Texas Project nuclear plant running despite Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:42:31 pm »
The Watchdogs are morons. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:46:53 pm »
Unfortunately watchdogs are often self-anointed, self-appointed hacks with political agendas and are generally clueless about what they're watching, and dishonest about it if they aren't.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kidd

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:47:12 pm »
I was on-call as an advisor for the South Texas Project plants over the weekend (from my home 1500 miles away)

There were no issues of any significance at either plant.
The dedicated 250 personnel that kept the power on for the Houston area undoubtedly saved many lives.
They did so while their families weathered the storm without them.

Kudos to these STP personnel and reasonable actions from the NRC.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:06 pm »
Unfortunately watchdogs are often self-anointed, self-appointed hacks with political agendas and are generally clueless about what they're watching, and dishonest about it if they aren't.

I believe this group is organised by your typical anti-nuke nuts who would have like every generating station in the world shut down.   

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:54:00 pm »
I was on-call as an advisor for the South Texas Project plants over the weekend (from my home 1500 miles away)

There were no issues of any significance at either plant.
The dedicated 250 personnel that kept the power on for the Houston area undoubtedly saved many lives.
They did so while their families weathered the storm without them.

Kudos to these STP personnel and reasonable actions from the NRC.

:amen: :amen: and  :amen:  These armchair quarterbacks need to shut their pie holes for awhile!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:29:33 am »

Most of them do not have a clue on how well thought out an American nuke plant really is. These plants can withstand events that will shut down ANY other major industrial facility and are staffed by some really well trained folks.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 02:32:11 am »
The point in all of this is that there are very few 'experts' among journalists or news-seeking academics.

They do not believe that a capitalistic venture like running a nuclear power plant does not seek allowances for circumstances when there is problems.

Newflash idiots: they have money in the game.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington