Author Topic: Do Potatoes Count as a Vegetable?  (Read 699 times)

rangerrebew

Do Potatoes Count as a Vegetable?
« on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:11 pm »

Do Potatoes Count as a Vegetable?
How you eat them and what you eat them with makes a difference.

By Alissa Rumsey, Contributor | Aug. 28, 2017, at 10:57 a.m.

Walk into any school lunchroom and you’ll quickly spot America’s No. 1 most consumed vegetable. That’s right: the french fry. Or rather, the potato. In 2014, Americans ate more than 46 pounds of potatoes per person, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reports. French fries are a large contributor to these high consumption rates, while tomatoes, the No. 2 most eaten vegetable, get a boost from all the pizza we eat. Unfortunately, most of those french fries aren’t providing us much nutritional value. But does this mean that we can’t count potatoes as part of our daily vegetable intake?

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/2017-08-28/do-potatoes-count-as-a-vegetable

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Do Potatoes Count as a Vegetable?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »
First off tomatoes are a fruit. Potatoes are a vegetable, they just happen to be the only root with high levels of digestable starch. Most others are non-digestable inulin.

The problem is that the type of variety dominant in the US is the Idaho potato, which is exceeding high in starch. Others like yellow and purple potatoes not so much, and are far more healthy like other vegetables.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:58:28 pm »
Only if you add lost of butter, sour cream, chives, bacon and cheese like they serve in so many restaurants now.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 03:27:10 am »
That's a pound every 8 days, or about 0.9 pounds per week.  If you add the figures for pasta and bread and the like, the overall starch numbers start getting really high.  All of these "complex carbs" break down super fast into pure sugar in the small intestine and almost instantly jack your blood sugar way up and bounce your blood sugar levels around like a yo-yo. 

The biggest single offender, however, is still sugar, whether as sucrose or as high-fructose corn syrup (or naturally occurring in fruit or in sweeteners like honey).  And the biggest part of that sugar consumption is added sugar rather than naturally occurring sugar in the food.  The amount of added sugar is estimated by UCSF at 66 pounds per person per year in the U.S.--which works out to a pound every 5.5 days, or 1.3 pounds per week.  Putting it all together, I would guess that Americans get well over 2 pounds per week of total carbs as sugar (i.e., including starches converted to sugar).  That, in turn, agrees more or less with the generally accepted claim that modern Americans get about 40% of their calories from carbs, which is arguably too high.

For example, Barry Sears, the PhD physiologist who wrote Enter the Zone, has convincingly argued that 40% calories-as-carbs is way too high for good health.  So, to be healthy, you should almost never consume straight (added) sugar (or drink fruit juice) and also eat only pretty small portions of the starchy stuff.  (But watch out for some of the artificial sweeteners, too!)         

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:57:10 am »
That's a pound every 8 days, or about 0.9 pounds per week.  If you add the figures for pasta and bread and the like, the overall starch numbers start getting really high.  All of these "complex carbs" break down super fast into pure sugar in the small intestine and almost instantly jack your blood sugar way up and bounce your blood sugar levels around like a yo-yo. 

The biggest single offender, however, is still sugar, whether as sucrose or as high-fructose corn syrup (or naturally occurring in fruit or in sweeteners like honey).  And the biggest part of that sugar consumption is added sugar rather than naturally occurring sugar in the food.  The amount of added sugar is estimated by UCSF at 66 pounds per person per year in the U.S.--which works out to a pound every 5.5 days, or 1.3 pounds per week.  Putting it all together, I would guess that Americans get well over 2 pounds per week of total carbs as sugar (i.e., including starches converted to sugar).  That, in turn, agrees more or less with the generally accepted claim that modern Americans get about 40% of their calories from carbs, which is arguably too high.

For example, Barry Sears, the PhD physiologist who wrote Enter the Zone, has convincingly argued that 40% calories-as-carbs is way too high for good health.  So, to be healthy, you should almost never consume straight (added) sugar (or drink fruit juice) and also eat only pretty small portions of the starchy stuff.  (But watch out for some of the artificial sweeteners, too!)         

@the_doc

Yeah, we like to keep those carbs under control.  It's true that fruit juice isn't good for you.  I remember reading about a study involving nurses and orange juice (why it was nurses, I don't know).  The more of it they consumed, the more likely they were to develop diabetes.

But even though I drink a lot of water, I can't do water alone.  I'm going to have a few sugar free diet soft drinks, and I don't like black coffee, so it's the pink stuff for me. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:20:02 am »
I can't imagine folks eating more french fries than just taters.
I went by MickeyD's for a gut bomb once this month... But I went through easy 5-10 pounds of taters here at the house.

I eat WAY more taters baked or pan-fried than I ever do french fries.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 01:22:55 am »
I am Potato famished.