Author Topic: Cardinals' Matt Carpenter pledges Hurricane Harvey relief for each HR he hits  (Read 577 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
ESPN.com

The sports world was quick to send their thoughts and prayers to those affected by Hurricane
Harvey over the weekend.

On Monday, St. Louis Cardinals infielder Matt Carpenter stepped up to show his support in a big way.

A native of the Texas coastal city of Galveston, Carpenter posted that he will donate $10,000 to hurricane
relief for each home run that he hits for the rest of the season . . .

Even if you're not a Cardinals fan, you just got a great reason to root for Matt Carpenter to hit a boatload
of bombs the rest of the season.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

I'd like to see a relief pitcher make the same pledge.  For every homer I serve up I will donate Ten Grand.

Offline EasyAce

I'd like to see a relief pitcher make the same pledge.  For every homer I serve up I will donate Ten Grand.
@Wingnut
Then you'll get, maybe, $20,000.

Go after the starters. Six have served up 30 or more bombs; from one through six: John Lackey, Ricky
Nolasco, Rick Porcello, Ariel Miranda, Derek Holland, and Mike Fiers. At six bombs each on average
the first five months of the season, those guys should be good for an aggregate $360,000. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Wingnut

@Wingnut
Then you'll get, maybe, $20,000.

Go after the starters. Six have served up 30 or more bombs; from one through six: John Lackey, Ricky
Nolasco, Rick Porcello, Ariel Miranda, Derek Holland, and Mike Fiers. At six bombs each on average
the first five months of the season, those guys should be good for an aggregate $360,000. ;)

Those guys would kneel for the National anthem before parting with a dollar.

Offline EasyAce

Those guys would kneel for the National anthem before parting with a dollar.
@Wingnut
Not so.

When I still lived in southern California and worked security in between editorial jobs, I was posted
to the gated community where John Lackey lived when he was with the Angels. A small truckload of
neighbours spoke about him donating money to assorted charities, especially involving children. (He's
also fabled in his clubhouses for being the first player to take rookies out to meals and blow them
to new wardrobes, paying it forward because Angels veterans did likewise with him when he first
made the majors.)

Rick Porcello is heavily involved with Team Joseph, a group battling Duschenne muscular dystrophy;
he's given thousands of dollars to the group including the $20,000 he was awarded last year as part
of the Players' Choice Awards to the group. (He also has a relationship with the boy for whom Team
Joseph was named, ever since meeting the stricken kid when he stood up to cheer, somehow,
when Porcello struck out the first batter of a game the kid was able to attend.)

Derek Holland created a leukemia foundation called 60 Feet 6 and donates thousands of his own money
and percentages of merchandise in his name to that and other children's cancer charities.

Those are just on the public record. More baseball players than people think donate dollars and time
for assorted causes without revealing it publicly. (To name only one such case, Ted Williams insisted
his heavy involvement with Boston's Jimmy Fund and the children it took care of be kept quiet after
he once visited a hospitalised child as a favour and was hammered over it in the press by a particularly
nasty critic of his when he never expected anyone in the press to notice he was there.) There's
something to be said about that.

Offline EasyAce

This just in: Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players' Association
will kick in $1 million for Harvey relief efforts.