Author Topic: A restaurant drops its racially tinged name  (Read 1082 times)

Offline RoosGirl

A restaurant drops its racially tinged name
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:23:43 pm »
 In an age of careful branding, restaurateurs put a lot of thought into choosing just the right name. Rarely will they go to the trouble and expense of changing it.

Yet the chef Tom Colicchio is dropping the name of his newest Manhattan restaurant, Fowler & Wells, after learning that it has historically racist connotations. The new name is Temple Court.

Fowler & Wells, which opened last October, was named for a publishing company and scientific institute that once operated in a building on the same site in the financial district; that building was later torn down, replaced by Temple Court, the building that stands there now. The men who started the company, Edward Fowler and Samuel Wells, were proponents of phrenology, a popular 19th-century belief that the shape of one’s skull revealed characteristics like mental aptitude and personality.

The practice was frequently used to justify slavery and to advance a belief in African-American inferiority. Fowler wrote that coarse hair correlated with coarse fibers in the brain, and indicated coarse feelings; that, he wrote, suggested that people of African descent had poor verbal skills and traits that were best suited for nursing children or waiting on tables.

Colicchio, who has emerged as a strong liberal voice in food policy, and frequently uses his Twitter account to criticize President Donald Trump, said that when he and his team were developing ideas for a name, they understood that phrenology “was used for nefarious reasons” but had only a passing knowledge of it.

The connection, he said, seemed a harmless one. They even gave their cocktails names that referred to the era; a section of the bar list included a brain diagram and was titled the Phrenological Cabinet.

“I don’t think it was a bad idea to start with because we didn’t have any of the information we have now,” Colicchio said. “I have a fairly liberal persona and never in a million years would consider myself a racist, so it never crossed my mind.”

In a review of Fowler & Wells in January, The New York Times’ restaurant critic, Pete Wells, pointed out the deeper racial implications of the name, while acknowledging, “This is obviously not a side of phrenology that Mr. Colicchio, who is outspoken about his progressive politics, embraces.”

Continued - http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/lifestyles/food--cooking/restaurant-drops-its-racially-tinged-name/tmoUUx6DWWBA89NbLjV5OK/

Offline dfwgator

Re: A restaurant drops its racially tinged name
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:37:46 pm »
Like I said, they are going to take down every statue of anyone born before 1900, because almost everyone back then had what we would consider today to be racist views.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:26:55 pm »
Phrenology? Really???

That is a ridiculously obscure reference upon which to summon personal offense. 

Clearly, a lot of people are easily offended these days.

Perhaps they need to get their heads examined.  :whistle:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:38:29 pm »
I expected it to be more like when "Sambo's" changed their name.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
I've forgotten: did they change the name to "IHOP", or was it "HIP-HOP"?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 05:53:22 pm »
Considering phrenology was supposed to be able to determine aspects of personality and criminal behaviour, I really question the racism involved. I had never heard of it used for that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:07:15 pm »
And using the word Temple?  I'm sure someone can be offended about that.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 04:34:23 pm »

Can't offend ignorant people who think tigers come from Africa, after all.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »
Little Black Sambo is an Indian boy and I have seen Indians who were as black as the Ace of Spades.