Author Topic: Eclipse Glasses Donation Program  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Suppressed

Eclipse Glasses Donation Program
« on: August 25, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
Eclipse Glasses Donation Program
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/awb-programs/resource-sharing-programs/eclipse-glasses-donation-program.html

Give your eclipse glasses a second chance! Astronomers Without Borders and Explore Scientific are collecting glasses to be sent to schools in South America and Asia when eclipses cross those continents in 2019.

There are Glasses Collection Centers across the US. See if there is one near you on the interactive map! If you have glasses you want to send in, please send them to Explore Scientific address below and NOT to AWB's address. Explore Scientific, our corporate partner in this program, is making this possible by receiving, processing, and storing them.

[Please go to this page for links...I haven't put the links in the FAQ below: http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/awb-programs/resource-sharing-programs/eclipse-glasses-donation-program.html ]

Where to send your glasses
Ready to send your glasses in? Send them to our corporate partner in this program, Explore Scientific:

AWB Eclipse Glasses Donation Program
Explore Scientific
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762

FAQ

Where do I send my glasses?
We are recruiting and organizing collection centers and will have a list of them published soon. Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Facebook for updates. If you want to send the glasses in right away send them Explore Scientific at the address below.

How do I become a Glasses Collection Center?
1. Start collecting glasses! It's important to let people know you're collecting them before they end up in the trash.
2. Register using the form below if you want to be listed on our website.
3. Use the AWB name and logo if you like. You're our partner!

I'm a Glasses Collection Center and I have glasses to send in. Now what?
Send them to our corporate partner, Explore Scientific, at the address below.

How long does this campaign last?
There is no deadline set yet. We expect to be receiving glasses at least until the end of September. If you're registered as an AWB Collection Partner we'll let you know if a deadline is set.

Will you make sure that these are all ISO certified and otherwise safe to use?
Yes! We will examine each pair to make sure they aren't damaged, and to verify that they are certified safe and not counterfeit. We won't send on any that we can't be sure are safe to use.

Where will you send my glasses?
We'll send them to schools and other institutions in countries where they're needed but aren't available. The next two solar eclipses across populated areas are in 2019 - a total solar eclipse in southern South America and an annular eclipse (where the Moon doesn't quite cover the whole Sun) in southeastern Asia. But a partial eclipse will be seen throughout most of South America and southern Asia so the glasses are needed by millions. If there are glasses left we'll send them to more schools in countries with eclipses beyond 2019.

There's a warning on my glasses that they're not safe to use after one year / two years / three years:
The filter material is required to not degrade according to the latest ISO standard. The paper can be damaged by inappropriate storage, which may be the concern some manufacturers have. Each pair to make sure they aren't damaged and to verify that they are certified safe, and they will be stored in an appropriate environment. We won't send out any glasses that we can't be sure are safe to use.

How should I ship my glasses?
If you're sending just a few, fold them up and put them in an envelope. If you have more than a few, unfold them, stack them together in bundles up to 50, and bind them with with rubber bands, twister seals, or something else if you can.

We're a news organization. How can we talk to or interview someone in your organization?
Please email us and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. This program is keeping our small staff really busy!

Your organization has great programs! How else can I help?
We're a small non-profit that organizes big programs. Like most small non-profit organizations, we are chronically underfunded. If you'd like to help, please donate or become a supporting member.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

Re: Eclipse Glasses Donation Program
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:57 pm »
I plan on Sending them sunscreen for their eyes.  More efficient.  Plus I need mine for welding and things.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:42:06 pm »
Thank you @Suppressed
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:59 pm »
I've just discovered that NASA has pointed out the following,
Note: If your eclipse glasses or viewers are compliant with the ISO 12312-2 safety standard, you may look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed Sun through them for as long as you wish. Furthermore, if the filters aren't scratched, punctured, or torn, you may reuse them indefinitely. Some glasses/viewers are printed with warnings stating that you shouldn't look through them for more than 3 minutes at a time and that you should discard them if they are more than 3 years old. Such warnings are outdated and do not apply to eclipse viewers compliant with the ISO 12312-2 standard adopted in 2015. [...]

So they don't expire.   Feel free to save them for seven years and then wonder where you put them. :-)

@Freya
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:32:46 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:33:35 pm »
Thank you @Suppressed

You're very welcome. 

I don't recommend the @Wingnut idea, as it will get washed out when you put the bug repellent there.
+++++++++

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:57:13 pm »
It is my feeling that if more South America and Asia kids looked directly into the eclipse the less that could see their way here.  So I will not participate in your attempt to bring illegals to the usa.
Lord forgive me and bless the pygmies down wherever they might see an eclipse.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 04:13:03 am »
It is my feeling that if more South America and Asia kids looked directly into the eclipse the less that could see their way here.  So I will not participate in your attempt to bring illegals to the usa.
Lord forgive me and bless the pygmies down wherever they might see an eclipse.

Who said they'd be illegals?  If they're curious about the eclipse, then they're more likely to be valuable immigrants.
+++++++++