Author Topic: How Is Donald Trump Affecting Relationships? 17 Women On How Their Romantic Lives Have Changed Post-Election  (Read 804 times)

Offline RoosGirl

A lot has changed in the months since Donald Trump was sworn into office, both on a political level and a personal one. Bustle’s State of Our Unions series looks at how millennial women's relationships with their friends, family members, and romantic partners have been affected since the 2016 election. Today's topic: millennial women on how their romantic lives have changed.

Like it or not, some romantic relationships have been affected by Donald Trump. A recent study by Wakefield Research found that the "Trump Effect" is worse for millennials' romantic relationships versus other generations'. While more than 24 percent of Americans in a relationship or married reported having disagreements with their partner since Trump was elected, 42 percent of millennials can say the same. Plus, 35 percent of millennials said they know a couple whose marriage or relationship has been negatively impacted specifically due to Trump's election.

If you and your significant other have differing political views, easygoing conversation may quickly turn into a heated debate. "It's not an easy situation, but plenty of couples find satisfaction with their partners of different political views, and even have successful marriages," Grant Langston, CEO of eHarmony, tells Bustle. "It's important to agree on an approach for coping with this situation. In order to continue a loving and respectful relationship with your partner, you have to be open-minded to views that may be different from yours, in any situation."

And, Langston says, this is especially important when it comes to dealing with political differences. "Listen to where your partner is coming from, and express interest in learning about their rationale," he says. "And while this may seem the most difficult task of all, maintaining level-headedness throughout the conversation will allow each of you to equally express your thoughts and opinions on the topic. However, you should always feel free to bring your full range of emotions to the table — do mention how the election or inauguration in general, and how your partner's opinions, make you feel. The worst that could happen would be to agree to disagree, as long as you both value the relationship over these views."

I spoke to 17 millennial women on how their romantic relationships have changed since Trump was elected president. Whether they found comfort in a partner that felt the same as they did, or saw political differences as having opposing core values, these women's stories show that there's always something to be learned from a relationship that's affected by politics. Read on for millennial women's personal stories about how politics affected their romantic relationships.

Continued - https://www.bustle.com/p/how-is-donald-trump-affecting-relationships-17-women-on-how-their-romantic-lives-have-changed-post-election-59081

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They could only find one single woman who did not irrationally hate Trump with a passion, out of 17?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:59:38 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Guivre

• ICXCNIKA
This is about as good as that NYT piece last week that said that women had more orgasms under communism.
"We cannot judge whether the world has truly gone bad or if journalists have just started to work more."

Wingnut

"I spoke to 17 millennial women on how their romantic relationships"

Well there is the problem right there folks. 

Offline RoosGirl

"I spoke to 17 millennial women on how their romantic relationships"

Well there is the problem right there folks.

That was when I knew I had to read the article and replenish the little, black portion of my heart that feeds on liberal stupidity. :)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Interesting that "Keenya" seemed to be pro-Trump:

"My romantic relationships haven't changed much since the election, mainly because I don't think political views are the gauge of a successful romantic relationship. Even if you disagree, if we respect one another's opinions, it's OK. I think some of the [...] men I'm encountering are taken aback by my optimism toward our current president, but they are respectful of my views because they respect me."

Sounds like a black name to me which is even more curious.  :shrug:

My wife hate all politics and things political, just votes for who she "likes". I'm beginning to think that's the way to go.

Offline dfwgator

I could never have married a liberal.

My wife, in fact, is more pro-Trump than I am.

And by the way, she is a Latina. And she has taken some heat from some relatives.