Author Topic: U.S. Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than the Pentagon Admits  (Read 595 times)

rangerrebew

Aug 23 2017, 7:18 am ET
U.S. Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than the Pentagon Admits

by Courtney Kube

WASHINGTON — The average number of U.S. troops serving in Afghanistan at any given time is thousands more than the Pentagon officially acknowledges, according to three U.S. defense officials.

The Pentagon officially acknowledges 8,400 troops on the ground there, but that number actually hovers between 11,000 and 12,000, the officials said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/u-s-has-thousands-more-troops-afghanistan-pentagon-admits-n795141?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_np

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: U.S. Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than the Pentagon Admits
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:41:35 am »
If there is a "waterless" version of quagmire, Afghanistan is it...

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:12:11 am »
I don't know if the numbers cited are accurate but they a bit seem overstated, this is pretty much SOP.  During my time, I and others spent time doing TDY in locations where we were officially withdrawing troops. :shrug:

I think the official numbers are probably based on PCS status and not the actual numbers of bodies as the unit commanders react to short term (less than 30-120 day) conditions on the ground....never seemed to a problem but some folks can always find something to knock the military for...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:52:39 am by montanajoe »

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:03:00 am »
I don't know if the numbers cited are accurate but they a bit seem overstated, this is pretty much SOP. 

The military term for such disparities is disinformation - keeping everyone guessing.