Author Topic: Four. That’s All. Four. And Anthony Kennedy Has Apparently Changed His Mind. (Erickson)  (Read 602 times)

Offline corbe

Four. That’s All. Four. And Anthony Kennedy Has Apparently Changed His Mind.

By Erick Erickson  |  August 23, 2017, 08:57am  |  @ewerickson

Perhaps the most compelling talking point used by President Trump’s friends in 2016 to defend him was the courts. It wasn’t just the Supreme Court. At the end of Barack Obama’s time in office, the federal judiciary had 105 US District and Circuit Court vacancies, which is the highest of any President except Bill Clinton since 1980.

Electing Trump would not only save the Supreme Court because of Antonin Scalia’s death, but he had the opportunity to shape the future of the country like few Presidents before him could. With that many vacancies, the President could have an outsized impact.

Except he isn’t. Thus far, the President has seen only four circuit and district court nominees confirmed by the Senate. Four. Obama had 11 in his first year. George W. Bush had 28. Bill Clinton had 27.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/four-thats-all-four-and-anthony-kennedy-has-apparently-changed-his-mind/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline endicom

Kennedy won't retire because...? Trump nominates conservatives?

Kennedy will move left because...? Trump nominates conservatives?

Oh, it's because of his behavior in the White House. Uhh...what?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
... Now, folks on the right are blaming gridlock in the Senate. And that’s a fair point. The Senate Democrats are demanding 30 hours per nominee, which means that if the Senate actually did do that it would take more than eight years to confirm all the President’s nominees.

But Mitch McConnell is dragging his feet too. It is not just the Senate Democrats and the GOP is casting all the blame that way. The Democrats play hardball better than the GOP. McConnell could do all sorts of things, including putting off debt ceiling votes and stacking the deck to blame the Democrats. He could put pressure on the Democrats who are massively on defense in 2018.

McConnell is not doing that however, because McConnell wants to punish the President. The entirety of the conservative advance in the judiciary is really being held hostage by the pissing contest between McConnell and Trump....

Offline RoosGirl

Why would McConnell put off the debt ceiling vote when he *wants* to increase it?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"And Anthony Kennedy Has Apparently Changed His Mind..."

I predicted that he would some months' back in this forum.

Kennedy -- who has moved ever-leftward during his Court tenure -- took a good look at Neil Gorsuch and saw the kind of replacement that was going to fill his seat if he retired.

And... he didn't like it. Kennedy probably wants his empty seat to be filled by... another milquetoast like himself.

So... he ain't goin' nowhere for a while...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

So tell me again why Cruz being opposed to McConnel is a bad thing?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"And Anthony Kennedy Has Apparently Changed His Mind..."

I predicted that he would some months' back in this forum.

Kennedy -- who has moved ever-leftward during his Court tenure -- took a good look at Neil Gorsuch and saw the kind of replacement that was going to fill his seat if he retired.

And... he didn't like it. Kennedy probably wants his empty seat to be filled by... another milquetoast like himself.

So... he ain't goin' nowhere for a while...
That vote isn't worth anything if it is predictable. That would tip people off. But if it could go either way...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So tell me again why Cruz being opposed to McConnel is a bad thing?

:pondering:  No, can't do it.