Author Topic: Some secrets of China’s terra-cotta army are baked in the clay  (Read 587 times)

rangerrebew

Some secrets of China’s terra-cotta army are baked in the clay
Craftsmen used local materials and signature ceramic recipes to shape the warriors and their entourage
By
Bruce Bower
9:30am, August 22, 2017

BATTLE READY  Terra-cotta warriors, built more than 2,200 years ago, stand in the tomb of China’s first emperor. Distributing different clay pastes to specialized workshops enabled the production of so many finely crafted statues, researchers propose.

China’s first emperor broke the mold when he had himself buried with a terra-cotta army. Now insight into the careful crafting of those soldiers is coming from the clays used to build them. Custom clay pastes were mixed at a clay-making center and then distributed to specialized workshops that cranked out thousands of the life-size figures, new research suggests.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/china-terra-cotta-army-clay

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Some secrets of China’s terra-cotta army are baked in the clay
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:50:44 pm »
I've always been fascinated by these soldiers.  I have one life size relics and the 4 figures in a smaller size.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Some secrets of China’s terra-cotta army are baked in the clay
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:10:57 pm »
I've always been fascinated by these soldiers.  I have one life size relics and the 4 figures in a smaller size.

They are definitely fascinating.

The Easter Island heads are, too.  And it turns out they're not just heads, but they also have torsos that are buried underground:

The Famous Easter Island Heads Have Hidden Bodies

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra