Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 102055 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #1225 on: September 14, 2017, 02:04:39 pm »

I can see where someone needs to figure out why everything is draining so slowly.

That much stagnant water is going to make for some serious health problems.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1226 on: September 14, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »
I can see where someone needs to figure out why everything is draining so slowly.

That much stagnant water is going to make for some serious health problems.

The concept is wrong.  It isn't draining slowly.  It is draining a massive amount.  Fast flows with massive volumes still take a while.

Houston ship channels flows were so massive and fast flowing it shut down ship traffic.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1227 on: September 14, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »
The concept is wrong.  It isn't draining slowly.  It is draining a massive amount.  Fast flows with massive volumes still take a while.

Houston ship channels flows were so massive and fast flowing it shut down ship traffic.
Just too much to drain off quickly, not some issue that can be addressed. Well, that 50 inches (plus) in places is an inconceivable amount of water coming down. Most folks couldn't envision that much snow, much less rain.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1228 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »
Just too much to drain off quickly, not some issue that can be addressed. Well, that 50 inches (plus) in places is an inconceivable amount of water coming down. Most folks couldn't envision that much snow, much less rain.

Anyone know how most of the plants fared along the HSC?  Hopefully, only tank farms were impacted.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: September 14, 2017, 03:49:52 pm »
Anyone know how most of the plants fared along the HSC?  Hopefully, only tank farms were impacted.

I didn't find a status on just the ship channel plants, but I did find this site that gives an overall plant status.

https://www.petrochemwire.com/Frames/Events/Storm/HarveyUpdate.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1230 on: September 14, 2017, 03:55:44 pm »
I didn't find a status on just the ship channel plants, but I did find this site that gives an overall plant status.

Excellent source....  thanks.

Though I am retired......   terribly curious.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1231 on: September 14, 2017, 03:58:37 pm »

Thank you for that, I had not seen it before.  Far more detail the DOE report I have been using.

https://energy.gov/oe/downloads/hurricanes-irma-and-harvey-situation-reports

Offline thackney

« Reply #1232 on: September 14, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »

We have a storage and terminal in between 610 & Beltway 8, adjacent to the Magellan Tank Spill, 11,000 barrels.  The had a tank float off the foundation with the flood waters.  We had very little damage but a trapped crew inside the facility.  An over-the-top security guard, with past experience in the Italian Army, walked through the Washburn Tunnel with the pumps running then swam the rest of the way with a backpack of food.  Police stopped him, then let him continue.  I was amazed they didn't hold him until a boat could be brought.

http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Magellan-leak-spills-into-Houston-Ship-Channel-12189833.php

Magellan contractor had a welding truck damaged.  Prop on a boat hit the top of the truck cab...

Offline anubias

« Reply #1233 on: September 14, 2017, 04:26:45 pm »
The Trinity is a trickle up here by me. I am assuming they have slowed the flow to give y'all a break. I'll have to take some snaps on my next ride and upload them.

Mosquitoes are crazy up here too.  Too much standing water. As bad as it is here, I can't imagine the swarm down south.

@thackney  I feel terrible for what you are going through. :(

Offline thackney

« Reply #1234 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:32 pm »
The Trinity is a trickle up here by me. I am assuming they have slowed the flow to give y'all a break. I'll have to take some snaps on my next ride and upload them.

Mosquitoes are crazy up here too.  Too much standing water. As bad as it is here, I can't imagine the swarm down south.

We are only impacted by the Brazos.  And yeah, mosquitoes...  I'm hoping they don't carry off one of my cows or such them dry.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1235 on: September 14, 2017, 04:39:59 pm »

How far up the Trinity are you?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #1236 on: September 14, 2017, 04:51:27 pm »

Offline anubias

« Reply #1237 on: September 14, 2017, 05:12:06 pm »

Cowtown.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1238 on: September 14, 2017, 05:13:53 pm »
Cowtown.

AH!  WAY up!  I'm near prison city.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline anubias

« Reply #1239 on: September 14, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »

West Fork of the Trinity. I should have made that distinction. Dunno what the east fork looks like.

Offline anubias

« Reply #1240 on: September 14, 2017, 05:15:56 pm »
AH!  WAY up!  I'm near prison city.

What does it look like down there?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1241 on: September 14, 2017, 05:20:20 pm »
What does it look like down there?

I think it's still a little above normal but nothing serious.  If Harvey had delivered the amount of rain up where you are that he did down here the people downstream would have been in REAL trouble!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline anubias

« Reply #1242 on: September 14, 2017, 07:14:36 pm »
I think it's still a little above normal but nothing serious.  If Harvey had delivered the amount of rain up where you are that he did down here the people downstream would have been in REAL trouble!

Agreed. As bad as it is, it could have been much worse. Thankful that weather has held here to keep the spillways from overflowing and sending more water south.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1243 on: September 15, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/vicenews/videos/867135046779780/

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #1244 on: September 17, 2017, 03:08:53 am »
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/09/reporters_compare_harvey_and_irma_s_impacts.html

Irma May Have Been the Bigger Storm, but the Damage From Harvey’s Storm Surge Will Last for Years
Seems this reporter has never covered a hurricane.

It was not the storm surge, but the rains which caused most of the damage in Harvey.  Rain does not equal Storm Surge
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1245 on: September 17, 2017, 03:34:33 am »
Seems this reporter has never covered a hurricane.

It was not the storm surge, but the rains which caused most of the damage in Harvey.  Rain does not equal Storm Surge
Precisely. Storm Surge is almost always salt or brackish water. Rain is fresh, and the resultant flooding is as well. Different sort of damage, really, as the salt water is far more corrosive, and much harder on plant life as a rule.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1246 on: August 27, 2019, 08:45:18 pm »
FITTINGS? Fittings are what's holding you back?
You're a bright boy @thackney , surely there is something that can be done!

prayers up, man. I sure hope it works out!

30" diameter flexible, sealing fittings~10 ft long.

Duct tape isn't going to cut it.  Nor is there time at this point.

@roamer_1

Going through this old thread, remembering conversations from two years ago....

(I do have the replacement connectors now.  And had we installed them back then, it would have overtopped the AquaDam by about 6 inches, 12 inches above the rating where it starts to float)

Later that night, the first of our three evacuations.

God be with you.  We evacuated from Rosharon to a friends camping trailer in their driveway in Sienna Plantation, Missouri City.  The 59 ft @ Richmond is going to put more than the Sienna Levees were designed to hold (100 year flood design).  So we may be evacuating again tomorrow.  The 59 ft is expected Tuesday evening.  I understand Greatwood Levees won't hold up to that either.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1247 on: August 28, 2019, 01:07:28 am »
@roamer_1

Going through this old thread, remembering conversations from two years ago....

(I do have the replacement connectors now.  And had we installed them back then, it would have overtopped the AquaDam by about 6 inches, 12 inches above the rating where it starts to float)

Later that night, the first of our three evacuations.

Yeah, I remember all that... And the water went higher than the wall would have helped anyhow...

Sure hope you're all straightened out by now... Last we talked of it, you were coming on sheetrock, I think, and worrying over cabs.... But had not really addressed your shop or outbuildings...

That must have been a long row to hoe... Even if insurance footed the bill more or less...