Author Topic: Want healthy joints? Do these 10 things  (Read 544 times)

rangerrebew

Want healthy joints? Do these 10 things
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:13:07 am »
Want healthy joints? Do these 10 things
By Marie Havenga   

Achy joints? Sharp pain from the knee? How about your hips? Hands?

We often take our joints for granted through our childhood and early adult years, but eventually the clock catches up with us. All of the sudden, we hurt. And we’re trying to figure out what we did to ourselves.

Before you get to that point, it’s time to take stock and figure out ways to keep the aches at bay.

Charles Sherry, DO, section chief for the Spectrum Health adult joint reconstruction department, offers preventive advice for keeping joints healthy and pain-free.

https://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/want-healthy-joints-do-these-10-things/

Offline aligncare

Re: Want healthy joints? Do these 10 things
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:44 pm »
I spent 35 years in practice treating joint pain.

Sound advice from the DO. Probably the two most important points: listen to your body and daily exercise. Extremely important as we age.

Lots of stretching, keep it low impact, practice the ranges of motion for the large joints (hips, knees and shoulders) every day, add new routines as you improve.

One thing he didn't mention. For us oldies expect a little pain. 20 minute cold packs as needed helps, and modify your exercise when pain inevitably crops up. But, keep going!

Offline Applewood

Re: Want healthy joints? Do these 10 things
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:57:37 pm »
I have arthritis and torn cartilage in both knees.  Doctor recommended R.I.C.E --Rest. Ice, Elevation, Compression.  He also said, lose weight and exercise.  All good advice.  Sure, the knees hurt once in a while, but not nearly as often as they once did.  And if I do feel a twinge, I apply the R.I.C.E therapy before the pain gets worse.  It is indeed important to listen to your body.