Author Topic: Can You Survive a Nuclear Explosion in Your City or Town? Proximity to ground zero is crucial.  (Read 1191 times)

rangerrebew

Can You Survive a Nuclear Explosion in Your City or Town?
Proximity to ground zero is crucial.

By Ruben Castaneda, Staff Writer | Aug. 21, 2017, at 12:53 p.m.

It’s possible to survive a nuclear blast near ground zero if you happen to be inside a robust building, such as a fortified structure or an underground facility. (Getty Images)

Could you survive the detonation of a nuclear bomb in your city or town? Is there any point to planning for a nuclear blast, however unlikely it is to happen? The answers are “yes” and “yes.”

Your chances of living through a nuclear detonation depend on your proximity to the nuclear device when it exploded; a difference of a few hundred meters could mean the difference between immediate death and survival. For instance, a nuclear blast from a bomb about the size of the one U.S. forces dropped on Hiroshima could immediately kill about 75,000 people in a major city and leave hundreds of thousands of people wounded from the explosion, burns, radiation, glass cuts and other injuries, says Dr. Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University in New York City. However, many people not at ground zero would survive, he says. “The farther away you are from the initial blast, the better your chances of survival,” Redlener says. “Two to five miles away, you could be killed by flying glass or fire, but not necessarily by the initial blast or even the radiation.”

http://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/2017-08-21/can-you-survive-a-nuclear-explosion-in-your-city-or-town

Mad Max

What about the fallout?You breathe in the particles sucked up by the explosion and begin to suffer radiation sickness.I guess that is where Potassium Iodide comes into the picture.But there is a catch.Potassium iodide can provide important protection for one organ from radiation due to one class of radiation. It can only provide protection for the thyroid gland from an intake of radiation.KI has no protective value from a "dirty bomb" or a dispersion of spent nuclear fuel.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fallout
http://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/effects17.shtml
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:53:57 am by Mad Max »

Offline aligncare

Survival, after a nuclear blast? Luckily, I won't have to worry about that, living in NYC. Our fate is sealed.

Mad Max

Survival, after a nuclear blast? Luckily, I won't have to worry about that, living in NYC. Our fate is sealed.

I think most cities would probably share the same fate. I have a plan to at least survive the initial blast. I will stay at my uncles cabin but I will have to contend with radiation fallout from the burning cities.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:02:27 am by Mad Max »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
 Can You Survive a Nuclear Explosion in Your City or Town? Proximity to ground zero is crucial.

No sh*t, Sherlock!    *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
My whole town would be ground zero.

rangerrebew

You are all doomed to drown, according to St. Algore, due to the rising seas caused by global warming. :silly:

Mad Max

My whole town would be ground zero.

Everyone is damned when that radioactive ash gets in the air from the burning cinders that were once called cities.