Author Topic: Pentagon Wants to Spend $500 Million on Guantanamo Construction  (Read 650 times)

rangerrebew

Pentagon Wants to Spend $500 Million on Guantanamo Construction

Miami Herald | 21 Aug 2017 | by Carol Rosenberg

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- Behind the scenes, the U.S. military is planning for nearly a half-billion dollars in new construction during the Trump administration, including a Navy request to build a $250 million, five-bed hospital here that has been singled out for study by a Senate committee.

Despite President Donald J. Trump's campaign promise to reduce costs at the remote U.S. Navy base -- at one point he mused that his new Cuba policy might import cheap, local labor from across the minefield -- the Pentagon's appetite to spend at this outpost of about 5,500 residents and 41 wartime prisoners continues unsated.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/08/21/trump-pentagon-wants-spend-500-million-gitmo-construction.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Pentagon Wants to Spend $500 Million on Guantanamo Construction
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:57:13 am »
Start shipping the antifadas down there.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:22:56 am »
Now that there is a cough "Republican" administration why don't' they just relocate the whole thing to fly over country... :shrug: 

I'm sure there are lots of places around here that would take a half a billion in spending for 41 muzzies...

Mad Max

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:43 am »
Now that there is a cough "Republican" administration why don't' they just relocate the whole thing to fly over country... :shrug: 

I'm sure there are lots of places around here that would take a half a billion in spending for 41 muzzies...

The military facilities at Guantanamo Bay employ over 9,500 U.S. sailors and Marines. Windward Point contains most of the activities on the Naval Station. There are nine beaches available to base personnel. The highest point on the base is John Paul Jones hill at a total of 495 feet.It is also a front line base against Communist Cuba.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:40:57 am »
The military facilities at Guantanamo Bay employ over 9,500 U.S. sailors and Marines. Windward Point contains most of the activities on the Naval Station. There are nine beaches available to base personnel. The highest point on the base is John Paul Jones hill at a total of 495 feet.It is also a front line base against Communist Cuba.

I think it has strategic importance and actually support this but IIRC every time Obama wanted more funding the GOP said shut it down...whenever I see proposals like this I substitute Obama Administration for Trump Administration and watch... :whistle:

Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:43:58 am »
I think it has strategic importance and actually support this but IIRC every time Obama wanted more funding the GOP said shut it down...whenever I see proposals like this I substitute Obama Administration for Trump Administration and watch... :whistle:

I think that the terrorists will be there for a very long time. I think that Trump will keep the base and the prison open.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:00 pm »

I believe, and expect to be corrected if wrong, that suspected terrorists and unlawful enemy combatants would have a legal right to a trial is imprisoned in the US.  In GTMO, they can be held without a trial.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:23:08 am »
I believe, and expect to be corrected if wrong, that suspected terrorists and unlawful enemy combatants would have a legal right to a trial is imprisoned in the US.  In GTMO, they can be held without a trial.

@thackney

Interesting....

I did a little research and although there is no SC case directly on point there are 3 or 4 appellate cases that suggest you are correct. It's likely that should they be relocated to the US the Courts would find at least limited jurisdiction and would grant habeas corpus.. :shrug:

Probably best to leave them where they are....