Poll

Does it mater

Yes
6 (22.2%)
No
21 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Is your Washer and Dryer a matched set?  (Read 15096 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Is your Washer and Dryer a matched set?
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:11 pm »

Oh, I love my disinfectants and my bleach.  I only buy white towels, washcloths, and kitchen textiles because they're all going to be Cloroxed. 

@CatherineofAragon

Thanks... I'll stay on the porch.

I am probably allergic to a lot of that stuff... It isn't an allergy really... More a reaction to toxins. Most perfumes and cleaners mess me up... The only perfume that doesn't stink (actually smells good) is the natural stuff. I can tell in two seconds whether you'd be wearing a lilac perfume made in an industrial factory or if it is made from lilac extracts. The one will lock my throat and swell my eyes, and stinks to me... the other does nothing but smell good.

Same with soaps and such. Same with most detergents and cleaners.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:48 pm »
All of the Sears stores in our vicinity have closed, so future appliances will be something other than Kenmore, though we've been fairly satisfied with the Kenmore washer, dryer, refrigerator, range and microwave we've had at various times (the washer conked out and the current one is GE, I believe).

Where I live, there are a few Mom and Pop appliance stores around.  I think next time I need a new appliance, that's where I'm going.  My first refrigerator came from a local shop (now closed -- the owner retired) and I was happy with it.  As I mentioned before, my current one is a Kenmore and I hate it.  Big box stores just don't treat you as well as the local guys.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:39:37 pm by Applewood »

Silver Pines

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:55 pm »
:beer:
Kid #4 has strep.  Everything around here is going to smell like bleach for a few days.

@Polly Ticks

Oh, wow, I completely understand that!  You don't mess with strep.  I hope he feels better very soon.

Our longtime friend and car mechanic got strep last year and ended up with a heart complication.  That kind of thing is very rare, but it made me think.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 01:05:21 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Thanks... I'll stay on the porch.

I am probably allergic to a lot of that stuff... It isn't an allergy really... More a reaction to toxins. Most perfumes and cleaners mess me up... The only perfume that doesn't stink (actually smells good) is the natural stuff. I can tell in two seconds whether you'd be wearing a lilac perfume made in an industrial factory or if it is made from lilac extracts. The one will lock my throat and swell my eyes, and stinks to me... the other does nothing but smell good.

Same with soaps and such. Same with most detergents and cleaners.

I know about that.  My kids as well.  Every time they clean the carpet in the church, my eyes itch and water and my nose runs for the next 3 or 4 services.

All hard floors in our house.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Wingnut

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2017, 07:14:54 pm »
I think I'll start a new poll since this one has exceeded my wildest expectations.  Keeping with my Home is where the heart is type thread iwas thinking something along the lines of "Do your Drapes match your Carpet"?

What do you think?   

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2017, 07:22:51 pm »
Have a new energy saver electric dryer.  Now it takes 2 hrs. to dry the same laundry load that used to dry in 40 min.
Ditto my new energy saver Bosch dishwasher.  Bosch........no drying cycle.............takes 2 1/2 hrs to wash a normal load of dishes. Ha ha.......and the dishes are wet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:23:29 pm by Rivergirl »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2017, 07:26:43 pm »
I think I'll start a new poll since this one has exceeded my wildest expectations.  Keeping with my Home is where the heart is type thread iwas thinking something along the lines of "Do your Drapes match your Carpet"?

What do you think?

Is this a poll only for the ladies, or the men also?

Wingnut

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »
Is this a poll only for the ladies, or the men also?

It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world...  why not!   lol

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:54 pm »
I know about that.  My kids as well.  Every time they clean the carpet in the church, my eyes itch and water and my nose runs for the next 3 or 4 services.

All hard floors in our house.

@ConstitutionRose
I'm alright with carpet, and carpet cleaning generally - Although I look for non-scented soap to do that with - But Carpet Fresh makes my head explode. I can't even enter therein. When I might comment, I will generally be told they just had the carpet professionally cleaned... And I have to tell them that no, that isn't what happened... That's Carpet Fresh, and they just took you for a ride and pocketed the money. That happens quite often.  **nononono*

Used to not even be able to get within 4 aisles of the detergents, hygiene, and perfume areas of stores... Now that I am pretty divorced (heh, heh...a little inside joke there) from that kind of thing, I seem to be more tolerant. Though a lady friend suggested she liked clean shaven and cologne... So I done it. That Old Spice nearly wrecked me. I mean just shy of heading to the hospital. I have an old bottle here for special occasions, which doesn't bother me, but the new stuff flat knocked me out. So I will retain the old one, and use it sparingly, and the fifty bucks worth of various hygiene products I bought to please her hit the garbage can.  :shrug:

Silver Pines

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »
Have a new energy saver electric dryer.  Now it takes 2 hrs. to dry the same laundry load that used to dry in 40 min.
Ditto my new energy saver Bosch dishwasher.  Bosch........no drying cycle.............takes 2 1/2 hrs to wash a normal load of dishes. Ha ha.......and the dishes are wet.

@Rivergirl

I am not looking forward to the search for a new dishwasher. 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 09:11:26 pm »

What do you think?

I guess that poll wouldn't be for me. Unless sheets thumbtacked over windows count.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2017, 10:53:01 pm »
If at all possible get the appliance you have repaired.   Even in it's old age it is preferable to the so called energy saving appliances.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2017, 11:13:52 pm »
If at all possible get the appliance you have repaired.   Even in it's old age it is preferable to the so called energy saving appliances.

When our dryer went out this winter we got a Kenmore high capacity dryer at Habitat for Humanity. Really dries clothes fast. I put the other dryer on the porch and fixed it when the weather was better. And...it is still on our porch. It is an Affinity by Frigidaire. The Kenmore has it beat by a long shot.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2017, 11:15:56 pm »
When our dryer went out this winter we got a Kenmore high capacity dryer at Habitat for Humanity. Really dries clothes fast. I put the other dryer on the porch and fixed it when the weather was better. And...it is still on our porch. It is an Affinity by Frigidaire. The Kenmore has it beat by a long shot.

Sounds like a smoker with a rotisserie. :)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 11:19:12 pm »
Sounds like a smoker with a rotisserie. :)

That option is still available.  ^-^

Offline Applewood

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2017, 12:02:09 am »

What do you think?

I don't have any drapes. Went with blinds.  Easier to care for. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 12:09:58 am »

Thanks to your federal government, everything that used to work well don't anymore. 

And God help you if you're thinking about repairs.  My last laundry set had a motherboard in each.  Both conned out the same day.  The boards can't be repaired, so they have to be replaced.  Would have cost me $700 plus labor and all that other jazz they tack onto repair bills, and there were no guarantees the  replacement motherboards would have lasted much longer.  So I decided to buy new.  Got a good deal since the washer and dryer were from the previous year's stock.  Would have been less expensive than trying to fix the old ones.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 12:16:32 am »
Thanks to your federal government, everything that used to work well don't anymore. 

And God help you if you're thinking about repairs.  My last laundry set had a motherboard in each.  Both conned out the same day.  The boards can't be repaired, so they have to be replaced.  Would have cost me $700 plus labor and all that other jazz they tack onto repair bills, and there were no guarantees the  replacement motherboards would have lasted much longer.  So I decided to buy new.  Got a good deal since the washer and dryer were from the previous year's stock.  Would have been less expensive than trying to fix the old ones.
Motherboard death was the final blow to the Whirlpool duet set we had. Never again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2017, 12:42:14 am »

@Applewood

Speed Queen!  No computerized parts, no plastic parts, built to last for 25 years, commercial quality.  They have a little thing where you can override the government's regulation of only having so much water for a large load.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2017, 12:48:56 am »
@Applewood

Speed Queen!  No computerized parts, no plastic parts, built to last for 25 years, commercial quality.  They have a little thing where you can override the government's regulation of only having so much water for a large load.

Centuries ago when I lived in an apartment building with no laundry, I used to go to the laundromat nearby.  All Speed Queen washers and dryers and they were very good.  I think I will take your advice when my current laundry pair croaks. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2017, 01:01:23 am »
I had a 60's vintage Kenmore gas dryer. I should have never replaced it. Worked like a champ. The hot wire gas igniter burned out, so I upgraded it to a light dimmer powered car coil ignitor.
After that all I had to do was periodically lube the blower bushing. And replaced the belt once.

Wingnut

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2017, 02:18:27 am »
I had a 60's vintage Kenmore gas dryer. I should have never replaced it. Worked like a champ. The hot wire gas igniter burned out, so I upgraded it to a light dimmer powered car coil ignitor.
After that all I had to do was periodically lube the blower bushing. And replaced the belt once.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.!   :beer:

Silver Pines

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2017, 11:51:37 am »
Centuries ago when I lived in an apartment building with no laundry, I used to go to the laundromat nearby.  All Speed Queen washers and dryers and they were very good.  I think I will take your advice when my current laundry pair croaks.

@Applewood, I don't think you would regret it.  The guy who repaired our old ones said it was the brand to go with.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2017, 03:13:15 pm »
I just looked up Speed Queen on Craigslist to see what used ones were going for and I found this, which I think I would rather have.  Screw the laundry.

Oceander

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
I just looked up Speed Queen on Craigslist to see what used ones were going for and I found this, which I think I would rather have.  Screw the laundry.

:thumbsup: