Poll

Does it mater

Yes
6 (22.2%)
No
21 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Is your Washer and Dryer a matched set?  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Is your Washer and Dryer a matched set?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 05:24:37 am »
Another poll idea.

Does your fridge have a water gadget? Mine doesn't. I'd love to be sble to make icee and ware through my fridge door.
Nope. I see enough ice half the year to last me through the rest, and seldom drink iced drinks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 05:26:35 am »
No. When we bought our frig, I was insistent that it not have the icemaker.
Of course, I'm such a luddite, when we built the house I said don't bother putting in a dishwasher. That will affect the resale value, I'm sure.  :shrug:
We didn't want the plumbing headaches in a 100 year old house, no dishwasher machine either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 06:13:39 am »
Not only are they a matched set they sit on top of each other and get to do the koochy coo when one of them is turned on...

Wingnut

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
Not only are they a matched set they sit on top of each other and get to do the koochy coo when one of them is turned on...

You must have  the María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza model, or just Charo for short.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 12:14:58 am »
When my old washer and dryer croaked at the same time, I was desperate.  Dead of winter, bad weather, couldn't get out.  Finally, one day there was a break in the weather, so I went to Home Depot.  I'm particular about washers and dryers.  Washer had to be a top loader with a traditional agitator.  Dryer door had to fold down instead of open sideways.  Could not find a matching set with those specifications, so I now have a Whirlpool washer and a GE dryer.   Both were on clearance, so I got a good deal on them.   I'm the only one who goes to the laundry area in the basement and I frankly don't care whether they match, as long as they do the job.

Mad Max

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 06:59:21 am »
When my old washer and dryer croaked at the same time, I was desperate.  Dead of winter, bad weather, couldn't get out.  Finally, one day there was a break in the weather, so I went to Home Depot.  I'm particular about washers and dryers.  Washer had to be a top loader with a traditional agitator.  Dryer door had to fold down instead of open sideways.  Could not find a matching set with those specifications, so I now have a Whirlpool washer and a GE dryer.   Both were on clearance, so I got a good deal on them.   I'm the only one who goes to the laundry area in the basement and I frankly don't care whether they match, as long as they do the job.

I have always been partial to the Sears Kenmore brand.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:01:33 am by Mad Max »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 11:16:57 am »
I have always been partial to the Sears Kenmore brand.

You couldn't pay me to take a Sears product anymore. My parents  bought all their appliances, tools, lawnmowers, home goods and sometimes clothes and shoes from Sears.  When I grew up, I continued the family tradition.  Now Sears merchandise is cr@p. Last appliance from Sears was a Kenmore refrigerator.  The crisper drawers won't open or close.  Cheap plastic.  Sad what has become of a once reputable store and reliable brands.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 10:42:07 pm »
I use Tide plus bleach powder.  I will NOT use anything else; not even Tide liquid (I tried it and it stained my whites).

Mine don't match.

No ice/water thingy on fridge, though I wish I had one.

It's a joke with my Mom that she gives me big jugs of Tide, a tradition that started when she once overstocked during a great sale.  :laugh:  (I prefer Tide with Febreze, though.  An uncommon luxury I allow myself.)

Also, half a dose of Oxyclean per load.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:50 pm »
I use Tide plus bleach powder.  I will NOT use anything else; not even Tide liquid (I tried it and it stained my whites).

Remind me to never borrow a pair of socks from you.  I'm allergic to both Tide and to bleach.

We used to use Wisk, but now we use Cheer Free.  Pretty much everything else causes me and Sons #2 and #5 to break out in itchy bumps.

And as far as the other question, I'm keeping my external water/ice dispenser, thank you very much.  It keeps the boys from opening the refrigerator door every 20 minutes all summer long.  (Now they just open it every 30 minutes to grab a little snack.)

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:57 pm »
All of the Sears stores in our vicinity have closed, so future appliances will be something other than Kenmore, though we've been fairly satisfied with the Kenmore washer, dryer, refrigerator, range and microwave we've had at various times (the washer conked out and the current one is GE, I believe).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »
Millennials seem to think it matters.  I personally do not give a hoot.  Do you?

Millennnial neighbors driving you nuts again? Do tell! Is it embarrassing for them to not have a perfectly matching set?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 11:07:35 pm »
Millennnial neighbors driving you nuts again? Do tell! Is it embarrassing for them to not have a perfectly matching set?

I love being eccentric for the hell of it.  Won't give details, but I have had a lot of fun pushing buttons from time to time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 11:11:40 pm »

I love being eccentric for the hell of it.  Won't give details, but I have had a lot of fun pushing buttons from time to time.

I play with them all the time. It is so funny to watch their expressions..   Priceless.

I bet you love it too!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:12 am »
I play with them all the time. It is so funny to watch their expressions..   Priceless.

I bet you love it too!

Tell em "What good is a dishwasher if you've got a dog?"
Then invite em over to dinner...

Oceander

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2017, 01:34:56 am »

:thumbsup:

Epic!

Silver Pines

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »
Yep, we have a matched set.  Until this spring we were still using the Whirlpool set that my husband had in his apartment before we met and married.  Every time the washer broke down we had it fixed because I did not want a front loader that required HE detergent.  Finally the repairman said go ahead and get a new one, so we got a Speed Queen set with a top loader.  LOVE THEM.  No plastic parts, made to last for 25 years, and you can have hot water and regular Tide detergent.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2017, 02:42:56 am »
Yep, we have a matched set.  Until this spring we were still using the Whirlpool set that my husband had in his apartment before we met and married.  Every time the washer broke down we had it fixed because I did not want a front loader that required HE detergent.  Finally the repairman said go ahead and get a new one, so we got a Speed Queen set with a top loader.  LOVE THEM.  No plastic parts, made to last for 25 years, and you can have hot water and regular Tide detergent.

@CatherineofAragon
YEP. For the christening of my house, after the remodel, my uncle bought me the matched set from SpeedQueen... Extra heavy duty, Large capacity, still has mechanical controls.

He's in the business. Fixes appliances for a living. Only thing he recommended was that set. Nothing else will do, according to him. And I believe him.

All I know is that except for bedding (pretty much 3x year for the big quilts), I don't even make those machines grunt. other than my daughters-in-law coming over when their machines are buried... I'll probably have em till I die...

Silver Pines

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 12:09:33 am »
@CatherineofAragon
YEP. For the christening of my house, after the remodel, my uncle bought me the matched set from SpeedQueen... Extra heavy duty, Large capacity, still has mechanical controls.

He's in the business. Fixes appliances for a living. Only thing he recommended was that set. Nothing else will do, according to him. And I believe him.

All I know is that except for bedding (pretty much 3x year for the big quilts), I don't even make those machines grunt. other than my daughters-in-law coming over when their machines are buried... I'll probably have em till I die...

@roamer_1

The guy who fixes our appliances said the same thing---get Speed Queen.  I wish they made dishwashers.  I'm going to need a new one before too long and it would be an easy choice.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2017, 04:03:38 am »

The guy who fixes our appliances said the same thing---get Speed Queen.  I wish they made dishwashers.  I'm going to need a new one before too long and it would be an easy choice.

@CatherineofAragon
Heh. I AM my dishwasher. Left that out of my build on purpose. Rare that I have any big doings over  here. Mostly just me, and maybe a lady friend now and then... And I know it sounds strange, but I find doing dishes to be cathartic.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:04:16 am by roamer_1 »

Silver Pines

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 02:34:45 pm »
@CatherineofAragon
Heh. I AM my dishwasher. Left that out of my build on purpose. Rare that I have any big doings over  here. Mostly just me, and maybe a lady friend now and then... And I know it sounds strange, but I find doing dishes to be cathartic.  :shrug:

@roamer_1

Nope, not strange at all.  I don't mind washing dishes either.  But the germphobe in me likes to throw things that come into contact with raw meat and raw vegetables into the dishwasher, and use a detergent containing bleach on them. 

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »

@roamer_1

Nope, not strange at all.  I don't mind washing dishes either.  But the germphobe in me likes to throw things that come into contact with raw meat and raw vegetables into the dishwasher, and use a detergent containing bleach on them.

:beer:
Kid #4 has strep.  Everything around here is going to smell like bleach for a few days.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 02:47:55 pm »

@roamer_1

@CatherineofAragon
Just the opposite - A chemical-phobe like me avoids all that. I am not a Luddite, but I am heading that way. I have chlorine in the house, but I rarely use it (I am allergic). Dawn dish soap and white vinegar are my go-to cleaners.

Heck, half the time I eat steak sawed off a deer, cooked on a rock and served on a bark plate, wild onions right out of the dirt, and berries right off the bush... And drink water straight from the creek... I ate my lunch yesterday sitting on the manure pile. Germs ain't an issue for me.  :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 02:51:21 pm »
When we moved into the house, it came with a washer/dryer. Washer was GE and it conked out about 2 years ago, we bought a Samsung frontloader, high efficiency. Works pretty good.

The dryer just keeps on going. The thing won't die. I refuse to buy something new unless the old thing dies. My wife wants a new dryer just because our's is old. I just don't get that.

Silver Pines

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »
@CatherineofAragon
Just the opposite - A chemical-phobe like me avoids all that. I am not a Luddite, but I am heading that way. I have chlorine in the house, but I rarely use it (I am allergic). Dawn dish soap and white vinegar are my go-to cleaners.

Heck, half the time I eat steak sawed off a deer, cooked on a rock and served on a bark plate, wild onions right out of the dirt, and berries right off the bush... And drink water straight from the creek... I ate my lunch yesterday sitting on the manure pile. Germs ain't an issue for me.  :shrug:

@roamer_1

Oh, I love my disinfectants and my bleach.  I only buy white towels, washcloths, and kitchen textiles because they're all going to be Cloroxed. 

When my husband and I were dating, he used to wonder why his colored towels and cloths had a faint sour smell after a few days, though he washed them in hot water and dried them on high. Bacteria breeding was the culprit.  I took over for him and fixed that, lol.

Silver Pines

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 04:10:49 pm »
When we moved into the house, it came with a washer/dryer. Washer was GE and it conked out about 2 years ago, we bought a Samsung frontloader, high efficiency. Works pretty good.

The dryer just keeps on going. The thing won't die. I refuse to buy something new unless the old thing dies. My wife wants a new dryer just because our's is old. I just don't get that.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I generally agree with you...repair them as long as you can.  With us, the washer was dead.  We could have technically just bought a washer and waited for the dryer to die.  But that was going to happen very soon anyway---it had been fixed repeatedly, and was taking forever to dry a load.