Author Topic: Live Thread for the eclipse  (Read 10367 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Live Thread for the eclipse
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:05:44 pm »
I thought we needed a live thread for the eclipse.

Happy eclipse day everyone!!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:23:43 pm by mystery-ak »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

Re: Live Thead for the eclipse
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
We decided not to go outside and risk blindness, halitosis, cooties or the heartbreak of psoriasis, so we made an indoor to-do list. I will iron and vacuum. Mr. M will unclog a shower head and do the dishes. Both of us will concentrate on NOT PANICKING!!!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:29:21 pm »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:32:52 pm »
I thought we needed a live thread for the eclipse.

Happy eclipse day everyone!!!!

Thanks, @Freya!!

Listening to Also sprach Zarathustra and The Planets while I wait. And, with irony,
Clair de Lune and Moonlight Sonata.

Prepared to change my plans a bit, based on crowds and bladder. Walmart parking lot was filled by 9 am. The large park had line down the highway by 8 am.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:16:13 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
In the 95% zone....and it's raining today.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:38:02 pm »
We decided not to go outside and risk blindness, halitosis, cooties or the heartbreak of psoriasis, so we made an indoor to-do list. I will iron and vacuum. Mr. M will unclog a shower head and do the dishes. Both of us will concentrate on NOT PANICKING!!!

Don't forget the moderate to severe Crohn's disease.   Gotta protect your pipes, pets, and plants.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:38:47 pm »
Two of my favorite things.

Astronomy and kitties.

(With apologies to Bonnie Tyler)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:39:59 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
Monday, August 21, 2017
Prepare To Be Amazed

Today we bear witness to precisely how much control man has over God’s universe:

That’s right, exactly…none. But hey, if any of the brilliant scientists who believe we can slow down, reverse, or halt global warming/cooling want to take a crack at stopping the eclipse, be my guest. Could be a good trial run to see how well toilet paper restrictions, cow fart mediation and forced public transportation will work to stop climate change in its tracks.  ...  MOTUS A.D. (Michelle Obama's Mirror)

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:48:33 pm »
That’s right, exactly…none.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

But hey, if any of the brilliant scientists who believe we can slow down, reverse, or halt global warming/cooling want to take a crack at stopping the eclipse, be my guest. Could be a good trial run to see how well toilet paper restrictions, cow fart mediation and forced public transportation will work to stop climate change in its tracks.  ...

I suppose if an eclipse can't be stopped, that must mean we don't influence climate!   *****rollingeyes*****

And that must, by extension, mean we can't avoid getting wet in a rainstorm. Those umbrellas are hoaxes, I tell ya!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:49:06 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:50:25 pm »
Two of my favorite things.

Astronomy and kitties.

(With apologies to Bonnie Tyler)

Don't look directly at it without eclipse treats.
+++++++++

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »
In the 95% zone....and it's raining today.

That's a bummer.  Sorry to hear it.

We're the 95% zone, too, but it's sunny with nothing but a sparse scattering of high, thin clouds at the moment.  I'm hoping it holds.  The kids are quite looking forward to it.  Either that, or they're just happy to have an excused absence from school today. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:57:39 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
I think we're in the 83% zone. Currently sunny. Peak eclipse time will be a little over 3-1/2 hours from now. I'll be vacuuming.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »
I'm going to use my IR filter. Its virtually black so I should get a few decent pics.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 03:46:55 pm »
I am in the total zone. Start time in an hour, more or less. I have cheapo cameras, but I will do my best.

I have to try to make it to the doctor again today. That's right. Another blood test.

Live pic out on the freeway. Here they come. My doc is 14 miles up the traffic side of the freeway.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 03:50:10 pm »
What's a "Thead?"

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 04:14:48 pm »
Don't forget the moderate to severe Crohn's disease.   Gotta protect your pipes, pets, and plants.

Wait, I thought the eclipse was gluten free?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 04:17:24 pm »
Think of how many lives are going to be saved this afternoon!        :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Live Thread for the eclipse
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 04:25:55 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
Local channels here are proclaiming this the Great American Eclipse.  I think the hoopla is hilarious, but I'm an old bag so a solar eclipse is nothing new.  The younger generation probably never experienced a total eclipse in their lifetime.   

I just hope no one is stupid enough to try to watch the eclipse with the naked eye.  The state transportation department issued a warning not to try to drive with those special glasses on.  Apparently, the only thing you can see with those glasses is the sun.  Everything else is dark.  But I'm sure someone will ignore the warning and try to drive with those glasses on.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
Thunderstorms and overcast skies make watching the eclipse here in Northern Illinoisy somewhat problematical.....

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »
I'm stuck on conference calls all afternoon so if anyone has any interesting sightings of the dragon that eats the sun, please let me know. ;)

By the way, unless you have a 18 stop ND filter (or greater) or level 14 welder's glass, do not point your camera at the sun. Digital camera sensors are very sensitive and you can damage one very quickly. There is some bad information going around Facebook about using your cell phone camera in selfie mode to watch it. That is still pointing the camera's sensor at the sun and you risk major damage.

Here is an article where they tested pointing a DSLR at the sun just to show what will happen to the sensor.

https://www.slashgear.com/do-not-shoot-the-eclipse-without-the-right-camera-equipment-21495919/

Long story short, the lens serves just like if you were burning ants with a magnifying glass, only right at a very expensive sensor.

The result isn't a pretty sight.

Offline ABX

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »
I'm going to use my IR filter. Its virtually black so I should get a few decent pics.

You will need a ND filter of at least 18 stops. Just an IR filter won't protect it. It protects against IR, but just the focused beam of light through your lens can damage your sensor. (see post above).

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 05:00:06 pm »
You will need a ND filter of at least 18 stops. Just an IR filter won't protect it. It protects against IR, but just the focused beam of light through your lens can damage your sensor. (see post above).

@AbaraXas
I have no intention of trying it, but just out of curiosity could you cover the lens of your phone camera with a pair of eclipse glasses without frying it?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ABX

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 05:01:53 pm »
@AbaraXas
I have no intention of trying it, but just out of curiosity could you cover the lens of your phone camera with a pair of eclipse glasses without frying it?

That should work. Eclipse glasses are supposedly good enough (although some I've seen for sale worry me).

The cheaper option is glass from a welding helmet. Generally you can pick up one of these for $5 (too late now). You would need at least level 14 but that's common. Welding glass is how everyone viewed it up until this year when suddenly these special glasses were available all over.