Author Topic: California Gas-Fired Power Plant Files for Bankruptcy  (Read 3740 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: California Gas-Fired Power Plant Files for Bankruptcy
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 05:15:38 pm »
This debacle has nothing to do with money. It's all about control. Liberals want people to do things. If they can control electricity, they can control the people. So they will eventually start telling people to cut back on air conditioning, lighting, reduce business hours, etc. Remember the gas crisis and all the rules that came out of it? We wanted SUV's but liberals didn't want us to have them so they passed gas mileage standards.

It's always about control. They don't want to fix the problem. They want to fix you
It absolutely is about money.  The end game is control, but the mechanism is money.

'The power to tax is the power to destroy'. Daniel Webster 1798
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 05:27:28 pm »
What is mysterious about this is that there seems to be a corporation that owns the gas-fired plant and nothing else.  Shouldn't the gas-fired plant, which comes online to fill gaps created by dips in wind and solar production, be owned by the same company that has the wind and solar production?  Doubtless this irrational market structure is something created by government "green energy" incentives.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 05:34:07 pm »
What is mysterious about this is that there seems to be a corporation that owns the gas-fired plant and nothing else.  Shouldn't the gas-fired plant, which comes online to fill gaps created by dips in wind and solar production, be owned by the same company that has the wind and solar production?  Doubtless this irrational market structure is something created by government "green energy" incentives.

There are probably some anti-monopoly regulations that forbid that.  As has been mentioned many times here, the energy industry is one of the most heavily regulated sectors of the economy, especially in CA.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 05:53:59 pm »
What you are describing is not the reason La Paloma was built in 2003.  It was as a baseload plant.  It has been forced to instead turn into a peak-shaving plant by the California govt, which gave preference to power produced by renewable plants.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 06:01:41 pm »
What is mysterious about this is that there seems to be a corporation that owns the gas-fired plant and nothing else. Shouldn't the gas-fired plant, which comes online to fill gaps created by dips in wind and solar production, be owned by the same company that has the wind and solar production?  Doubtless this irrational market structure is something created by government "green energy" incentives.

I like the relatively free market.  I wouldn't want to see companies forced to do both.  But I also believe dispatchable sources have a greater value and should be paid accordingly.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 06:59:26 pm »
I like the relatively free market.  I wouldn't want to see companies forced to do both.  But I also believe dispatchable sources have a greater value and should be paid accordingly.
Not sure what a 'dispatchable source' actually is.  La Paloma was built as  a merchant plant.  Is that a 'dispatchable source'?

Offline thackney

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 07:01:27 pm »
Not sure what a 'dispatchable source' actually is.  La Paloma was built as  a merchant plant.  Is that a 'dispatchable source'?

A  dispatchable power source can come online when needed, not just when the wind blows or the sun shines.  It can adjust the amount of power produced upon demand.

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 08:35:32 pm »
A  dispatchable power source can come online when needed, not just when the wind blows or the sun shines.  It can adjust the amount of power produced upon demand.
So by that definition, is La Paloma a dispatchable source?  Or does a dispatchable source need to be commercial?

Offline thackney

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 11:01:44 am »
So by that definition, is La Paloma a dispatchable source?  Or does a dispatchable source need to be commercial?

Yes, it is dispatchable.  It is technical ability, not economics.

rangerrebew

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 03:29:51 pm »
I say the CA will follow the practices of NY and give subsidies to ensure backup power generation remains in place. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-nuclearpower-idUSKBN1AA2VF

With what money?  Oh, I get it. :facepalm: They'll just bring in more illegal immigrants with those high paying jobs and increase the taxes on them. :thud:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:30:34 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 03:41:43 pm »
La Paloma is not the only power plant in California facing closure due to its policy promoting renewable energy

Hey California......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4slnrW78Mo
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:42:16 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.