Author Topic: Why The U.S. Must Get Rid Of Its Land-Based Nuclear Missiles  (Read 744 times)

rangerrebew

Why The U.S. Must Get Rid Of Its Land-Based Nuclear Missiles
« on: August 19, 2017, 08:09:39 am »
Why The U.S. Must Get Rid Of Its Land-Based Nuclear Missiles
Terrell Jermaine Starr
7/18/17 1:40pmFiled to: Nuclear Weapons

The Cold War is over. And so is the need for America’s land-based Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles. Not only are the costs of maintaining 450 Minuteman-III missiles unsustainable, keeping them in the nuclear arsenal is hardly practical. Maintaining hundreds of outdated, budget-draining Minuteman-IIIs when the Pentagon has the more accurate, multi-dimensional Trident II that can be shot from Ohio-class submarines that are virtually undetectable makes little sense.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-the-u-s-must-get-rid-of-its-land-based-nuclear-mis-1796677582
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:10:17 am by rangerrebew »

Mad Max

Re: Why The U.S. Must Get Rid Of Its Land-Based Nuclear Missiles
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:22:33 am »
There is a Launch on Warning. Which means when a Russian missile is detected by our DSP satellites, the process of ICBM should be well underway.Strategies are available that can reduce the effectiveness of a launch-on-warning stance. For example, the first-strike nation can use a technique called X-ray pin-down to delay a retaliatory response. The warheads would be set to explode every minute or so at high altitudes, which significantly disrupts the ability of the attacked nation to launch its own ICBMs

SEE: John Steinbruner, "Launch under Attack", Scientific American, January 1984, pp. 37–47

https://inis.iaea.org/search/search.aspx?orig_q=RN:16015285
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:04:08 am by Mad Max »

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:13:34 am »
I think there will always be a need for the triad and for the ICBM's. Having hundreds of hardened launch sites gives us a survival  advantage the the other legs of the triad cannot match. I think there is a need to upgrade the Minuteman III to a more capable more efficient and less costly launch vehicle...

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »
I think there will always be a need for the triad and for the ICBM's. Having hundreds of hardened launch sites gives us a survival  advantage the the other legs of the triad cannot match. I think there is a need to upgrade the Minuteman III to a more capable more efficient and less costly launch vehicle...

And they make for fine condo's when they are abandoned.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 03:10:42 pm »
I agree.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 02:33:09 am »

Time to resurrect the the Peacekeeper missiles and bring them back into service.This included launching by air from huge transport jets, “deep basing” in silos located more than 1,000 feet underground, shuttling the missiles continuously on trucks or railcars among “multiple protective shelters,” and grouping silos close together in a “dense pack,” so that incoming nuclear warheads would destroy or deflect one another.If you want a single warhead bring back the Midgetman idea. It was a response to the Soviet development of SS-24 (rail mobile) and the SS-25 (road mobile) ICBMs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:55:17 am by Mad Max »

Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:52:26 am »
Time to resurrect the the Peacekeeper missiles and bring them back into service.This included launching by air from huge transport jets, “deep basing” in silos located more than 1,000 feet underground, shuttling the missiles continuously on trucks or railcars among “multiple protective shelters,” and grouping silos close together in a “dense pack,” so that incoming nuclear warheads would destroy or deflect one another.If you want a single warhead bring back the Midgetman idea. It was a response to the Soviet development of SS-24 (rail mobile) and the SS-25 (road mobile) ICBMs.
I did forget to mention one thing. A very good ABM program.The missiles should be placed at strategic points.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:56:24 am by Mad Max »