Author Topic: 5 More Reasons You Should Read Aloud to Your Kids  (Read 578 times)

rangerrebew

5 More Reasons You Should Read Aloud to Your Kids
« on: August 18, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »

5 More Reasons You Should Read Aloud to Your Kids
Beyond teaching them the ABCs, you’ll be growing their emotional vocabulary and attention span.

By Laura Jana, M.D., Contributor | Aug. 17, 2017, at 11:17 a.m.

Be sure to make reading aloud a fun and engaging experience for your kids, and something you do regularly.

What if I were to start this blog post with the phrase, “In a great green room…,” ask you what the brown bear sees, or simply inquire as to what very hungry caterpillars eat? I’m willing to bet that most of you, as parents (not to mention grandparents, child care providers and early educators), would be able to finish the sentence and answer the questions without pause.

http://health.usnews.com/wellness/for-parents/articles/2017-08-17/5-more-reasons-you-should-read-aloud-to-your-kids

rangerrebew

Re: 5 More Reasons You Should Read Aloud to Your Kids
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:51:54 pm »
Be careful talking about reading to your kids around liberals, however.  There is a liberal movement which wants parents to stop reading to their children because it gives them an "unfair advantage." :thud:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »
Would be inclined to agree here.  Read aloud to my daughter every day...every night, before Montessori School.

Adapted my own version of "Jack and the Beanstalk"...that always brought and excited "Again, daddy!"  And giggles.   

I can 'hear' them now.  <sniff>

Straight A student...Ivy League...Princeton/Oxford, Yale.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »
Because it's fun, because some of those books are very cute, and because a love of reading is a gift that keeps on giving.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra