Author Topic: Trump's attacks could leave him friendless if impeachment comes  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Suppressed

Trump's attacks could leave him friendless if impeachment comes
Richard Cowan   AUGUST 17, 2017 / 4:11 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-senate-idUSKCN1AX2K3

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump has stepped up his attacks on Republican senators, an approach he may regret if he is someday impeached and the Senate has to weigh charges against him stemming from an investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election.

More than half of the 11 Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which would be central to any proceeding to remove Trump from office, have tangled with the Republican president, including on Thursday when he fired off early-morning tweets.

In one Twitter series, Trump called Senator Lindsey Graham "publicity seeking" and said he "just can't forget his election trouncing" in the 2016 presidential race. Trump also assailed Senator Jeff Flake, another Republican critic, as "a non-factor in the Senate," adding, "He's toxic."

Flake and Graham are members of the Judiciary Committee, whose Chairman Chuck Grassley has urged Trump to tone it down.

"He should be 100 percent sticking to ideas and forget about personalities," Grassley said on Friday when pressed on whether Trump might find himself without the friends in Congress he would need to defend himself in an impeachment proceeding.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-senate-idUSKCN1AX2K3
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Trump's attacks could leave him friendless if impeachment comes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:56:05 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:12:59 am »
The swamp doesn't want to be drained.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:45:23 am »
Trump hasn't done any 'draining', he has filled his whole cabinet with swamp dwellers, called the Clintons 'good people' and plans to fund and rescue ObamaCare.

All Trump has done is poke everyone in the eyeballs, especially when his incompetence is laid bare.

Trump thought he could run the country like he does his little real estate empire.  Mordor on the Potomac doesn't operate as his own royal realm.  But Trump convinced the lot of you that he was the guy who was going to fight and do miracles on your behalf, most of it on his own strength, cunning, charisma and expertise.

Trump is and always was his own worst enemy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Freedom928

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:11 am »
Nah. Flake, McCain, Graham; they are all never Trumpers and the worst kind of politician. They claim to be republicans but like everyone knows; they are nothing but low life RINO's in bed with the corrupt dems and other establishment GOPe.

It wouldn't matter how nice President Trump played with these bed lice; they would always stab him in the back. They are scorpions and scorpions will always do what they do. Anyone who has heard of the turtle and the scorpion story knows what I'm talking about.

I'm disappointed in this forum. All I hear is pro-leftist nonsense and anti-Trump junk. The same thing I hear from the Enemedia propaganda machine. If it were any further left it would be like DU. They should switch out the picture of Reagan with one of LBJ or obama.
Political Correctness Offends Me.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:09:39 am »
Trump's attacks could leave him friendless if impeachment comes

My posting history as you well may know has been critical of Trump.

Still.....   this man has done nothing so far that would near warrant anything near impeachment.  This is just another misdirection by the treasonously complicit MSM, and their effort to destroy this country.

I've asked maybe 5 or 6 mouth frothing liberals who want impeachment, what would be the charge.  Not a one came through with what I would consider a provable offense.  3 came up with Russian interference, lol. 

In any case, the chance of ever getting 2/3 of senate to vote for conviction is ZERO.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:14:47 am »
Nah. Flake, McCain, Graham; they are all never Trumpers and the worst kind of politician. They claim to be republicans but like everyone knows; they are nothing but low life RINO's in bed with the corrupt dems and other establishment GOPe.

It wouldn't matter how nice President Trump played with these bed lice; they would always stab him in the back. They are scorpions and scorpions will always do what they do. Anyone who has heard of the turtle and the scorpion story knows what I'm talking about.

I'm disappointed in this forum. All I hear is pro-leftist nonsense and anti-Trump junk. The same thing I hear from the Enemedia propaganda machine. If it were any further left it would be like DU. They should switch out the picture of Reagan with one of LBJ or obama.

No one is forcing you to post here.  49 posts and a lot if them critical of this site.  Why did you sign up?
God is still in control

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 09:39:50 am »

Maybe the most inaccurate representation of this site I have ever heard.

(1) Left of DU?    After the early 2016 Purge at Free Republic, maybe the most true of conservatives (including myself) took residence here.  Best online decision I ever made. Also can you cite one member here that is a liberal?  I will be waiting for your response.

(2) Pro left and anti- Trump?  Hate to tell ya bubba, but Trump himself was among the most liberal of the 17 POTUS candidates in the GOP primaries.  That statement is beyond ridiculous.  Nearly all of us FR refugees were Cruz supporters.  Want to explain to us how Cruz was a liberal?  BTW, would you please give me some specifics of what you are calling "pro-left nonsense" accusations?........Till then, I'll defer you to Mr. White...

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:23:47 am »

@Freedom928

Then why are you still here?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:33:26 am »
@Freedom928

Then why are you still here?

Could it be...

fishing8888  ?

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 11:06:08 am »
Not to worry.  DT will always have mikepence.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 11:11:07 am »

:pondering: In retrospect, maybe that wasn't so smart.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 11:13:58 am »

:pondering: In retrospect, maybe that wasn't so smart.

Yep.... Maybe Trump should sit down with leaders from the House and the Senate and actually talk. Not tweet about how bad things are.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:27:25 am »
Impeach the President for WHAT???   *****rollingeyes*****

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 11:33:51 am »
Impeach the President for WHAT???   *****rollingeyes*****

It has gotten old. I hope the calls for impeachment bite some people really really hard.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 11:53:16 am »
It has gotten old. I hope the calls for impeachment bite some people really really hard.

Republican Senators should wake up and realize they are the ones without friends.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:53:40 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 11:57:55 am »
Awfully hard to govern when your core support is less than 40%.

Help me out here...what chapter in The Art of the Deal discusses the benefits of being in attack mode 24/7/365?

How long will Mattis and Kelly be there to protect Trump from Trump?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:40 pm »

Sorry, but this site was not meant to be exclusively for Trump worshipers.  If you only want Trump adoration, you should go over to FR. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 12:05:45 pm »
In my opinion people like McConnell shouldn't be firing shots AT Trump. Trump's inexperience at being POTUS in no way excuses the actions and words of those pukes like McConnell.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 12:17:01 pm »
In my opinion people like McConnell shouldn't be firing shots AT Trump. Trump's inexperience at being POTUS in no way excuses the actions and words of those pukes like McConnell.

Ok, but I'm also tired of hearing how every misstep and every failure is exclusively the fault of liberal Republicans or whoever the scapegoat du jour is today. Trump is not entirely blameless in these matters. A real leader would adopt President Truman's motto -- the buck stops here -- stop whining and placing blame on others and show some true leadership by doing his utmost to fix whatever is wrong on his end.  As President, he is supposed to lead the party or at the very least his input should have value.  But it looks like Trump is unwilling to give any direction because he wants others to fail so he can assign blame.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 12:27:41 pm »
Ok, but I'm also tired of hearing how every misstep and every failure is exclusively the fault of liberal Republicans or whoever the scapegoat du jour is today. Trump is not entirely blameless in these matters. A real leader would adopt President Truman's motto -- the buck stops here -- stop whining and placing blame on others and show some true leadership by doing his utmost to fix whatever is wrong on his end.  As President, he is supposed to lead the party or at the very least his input should have value.  But it looks like Trump is unwilling to give any direction because he wants others to fail so he can assign blame.

Well, impeaching a sitting POTUS, or even calling for it for what I perceive to be NOTHING, is crap. What comes after that? I don't think that scenario has been well thought out by these people. I think it is a bad bad deal. He thinks he is playing them like a fiddle. They think they are playing him like a fiddle. I think they ALL need to stop fiddling and start doing their damn jobs.

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »
Republican Senators should wake up and realize they are the ones without friends.

:bigsilly:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:00 pm »

Wait until the fantastic 3rd quarter economic numbers come in..., they are going to regret their cowardice, imo.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »
Wait until the fantastic 3rd quarter economic numbers come in..., they are going to regret their cowardice, imo.

:bigsilly:

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:05 pm »

And they truly are cowards @DCPatriot  I am surprised by how this unmasking has stunned me.

But it will not surprise me if the GOP Congressional caucus actively works against continued economic growth.  They, for the most part, have proven the American people are not a part of their calculation for power.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:40:35 pm by Right_in_Virginia »