Author Topic: The Last Word: Joe Walsh on the Future of the Eagles, Trump and Turning 70  (Read 1278 times)

Offline corbe

The Last Word: Joe Walsh on the Future of the Eagles, Trump and Turning 70

Guitarist shares wisdom on drinking, aging, meditating and why you calm down before sending an angry email

Andy Greene

July 30, 2017

A little over a week before the Eagles played their first concert since Glenn Frey's death at Classic West in Los Angeles, guitarist Joe Walsh phoned up Rolling Stone for a Last Word interview, where he shared a lot of hard-earned wisdom he's learned over his seven decades. He touched upon everything from the years he regrets wasting as an alcoholic to his thoughts on the aging process to how meditation changed his life.

He also talked about his new charitable endeavor VetsAid, which will raise money to aid America's veterans. A benefit concert will be held on September 20th at the EagleBank Arena in Fairfax, Virginia featuring Zac Brown Band, Keith Urban, Gary Clark Jr. and Walsh. "My dad died when I was a year and a half old," Walsh says. "He was in the Army Air Force, so I've always just been sympathetic to vets. My buddies went to Vietnam and came back a mess, and every time I go to Washington I visit the prosthetic limb ward at Walter Reed Hospital. I don't see the vets getting the attention they deserve."

What's the best part of success? What's the worst?

The best part of success is that it got me past the basic survival level of existence so that I was comfortable. I didn't have to worry about stuff pertaining to survival. Once that was taken care of, I got the chance sit down and create and work at what I do. If you have a full-time job, you won't have that free time to let that process unfold. In my early twenties, I got the basics covered. In retrospect, one of the great things about success is that I never really had to work in a factory full-time. So that's a blessing.

<..snip..>

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/joe-walsh-on-the-eagles-trump-and-turning-70-the-last-word-w493589
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Best guitarface ever IMO.

BTW he was surprisingly succinct & perceptive about Trump. And sadly he's probably right.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I've always liked that "Life's been good to me" song. Takes me back... not to the 70's, but to the early 90's when I first heard it on classic rock stations when I was working as a dishwasher in a restaurant.

Offline corbe

Had tickets to see this guy tonight in San Antonio, at the Majestic. Feeling rather poorly (summer cold), so I gave them to my Niece and her Fiancé, down from NY city, who are vacationing in Texas right now, who the hell vacations in Texas in the middle of August?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

"Don Henley's gonna tell me how to vote. I don't ____ing think so, okay? I got two words for Don Henley--Joe ___ing Walsh--okay? Thanks for calling, Don. How long's your pony tail now, okay?

-Dennis Leary 

Wingnut

I never planned on being 69. And I went to the store to see if they had a 69 For Dummies book. "No, the guy told me I needed to go to an adult bookstore for that."

:silly:

Offline corbe

Agree @skeeter, seen this guy probably 20 times worst 'guitar face' ever and the chicken strutting is uncanny, but one of the very best Guitar Players.   Robin Trower.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

You famously ran for president back in 1980. If you won, do you think you would have done a better job than Donald Trump is doing right now?

Yeah. (Laughs). That's because of common sense. I don't think Trump really knows how the government works and I don't think he cares. Therefore, he's not gonna get much done.

I think I know how it works. I know how to live in a complex decision-making organization. For example, the band. We got stuff done!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh for the love of God...

And the REAL insult was that I read the whole  ###king thing to see that.

...a variance on "...wait until you see #19"    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
   Agree @skeeter, seen this guy probably 20 times worst 'guitar face' ever and the chicken strutting is uncanny, but one of the very best Guitar Players.   Robin Trower.

That's a shart face if I ever saw one.

Offline dfwgator

You famously ran for president back in 1980. If you won, do you think you would have done a better job than Donald Trump is doing right now?

Yeah. (Laughs). That's because of common sense. I don't think Trump really knows how the government works and I don't think he cares. Therefore, he's not gonna get much done.

I think I know how it works. I know how to live in a complex decision-making organization. For example, the band. We got stuff done!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh for the love of God...

And the REAL insult was that I read the whole  ###king thing to see that.

...a variance on "...wait until you see #19"    :laugh:
I took that as,  he's not necessarily opposed to what Trump wants to do, he just doesn't think he can get it done.     That's certainly not the typical moonbat take on Trump.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I took that as,  he's not necessarily opposed to what Trump wants to do, he just doesn't think he can get it done.     That's certainly not the typical moonbat take on Trump.

I realize that, @dfwgator

But, even reading it twice...it came across as a stoner.  Like Dick's roommate 'Floyd' (Brad Pitt) in True Romance.  ^-^

...let alone not realizing that running a global development company isn't even a wee bit more complex than running the Eagles.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

Gads he looks like a corpse. I haven't seen his picture since Bridge of Sighs.

Offline dfwgator

I realize that, @dfwgator

But, even reading it twice...it came across as a stoner.  Like Dick's roommate 'Floyd' (Brad Pitt) in True Romance.  ^-^

...let alone not realizing that running a global development company isn't even a wee bit more complex than running the Eagles.

Even I felt that Trump would have difficulties his first year as he learns how things work in DC......I'm a bit more optimistic than Joe, that eventually, he'll figure it out.

Offline skeeter

Thats how I took it too. Its not the criticism of someone ideologically opposed to Trump.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I once actually saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac - on the NJ turnpike
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline corbe

I see what you did there @Freya, Great Song.

Wingnut

I once actually saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac - on the NJ turnpike

Well played!
 :hands: