Author Topic: New York Times: Some Charlottesville Protesters Were Not White Supremacists, Nazis  (Read 1005 times)

Offline bilo

On Tuesday, Trump condemned the white supremacists, KKK members, and neo-Nazis in the Charlottesville protest, but he also said that some people who were not extremists were there to voice a legitimate grievance against the removal of the statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee. He said:

You have some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group — excuse me, excuse me — I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

Those remarks were construed by Trump’s critics and opponents as saying that some of the white supremacists, KKK members, and neo-Nazis were among the “very fine people.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/17/new-york-times-charlottesville-protesters-not-white-supremacists-nazis/
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

The Times reported Wednesday evening:

”Good people can go to Charlottesville,” said Michelle Piercy, a night shift worker at a Wichita, Kan., retirement home, who drove all night with a conservative group that opposed the planned removal of a statue of the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

After listening to Mr. Trump on Tuesday, she said it was as if he had channeled her and her friends — all gun-loving defenders of free speech, she said, who had no interest in standing with Nazis or white supremacists: ”It’s almost like he talked to one of our people.”

Conservatives like Ms. Piercy, who have grown only more emboldened after Charlottesville, believe that the political and media elite hold them and Mr. Trump to a harsh double standard that demands they answer for the sins of a radical, racist fringe. They largely accept Mr. Trump’s contention that these same forces are using Charlottesville as an excuse to undermine his presidency, and by extension, their vote.

Anecdotally, reports of other, similar individuals have been circulating online.

Maybe people will start to recognize that Pres. Trump was right. There were good people there who weren't part of the Alt-Right or the Alt-Left.

Offline dfwgator

The Times reported Wednesday evening:

”Good people can go to Charlottesville,” said Michelle Piercy, a night shift worker at a Wichita, Kan., retirement home, who drove all night with a conservative group that opposed the planned removal of a statue of the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

After listening to Mr. Trump on Tuesday, she said it was as if he had channeled her and her friends — all gun-loving defenders of free speech, she said, who had no interest in standing with Nazis or white supremacists: ”It’s almost like he talked to one of our people.”

Conservatives like Ms. Piercy, who have grown only more emboldened after Charlottesville, believe that the political and media elite hold them and Mr. Trump to a harsh double standard that demands they answer for the sins of a radical, racist fringe. They largely accept Mr. Trump’s contention that these same forces are using Charlottesville as an excuse to undermine his presidency, and by extension, their vote.

Anecdotally, reports of other, similar individuals have been circulating online.

Maybe people will start to recognize that Pres. Trump was right. There were good people there who weren't part of the Alt-Right or the Alt-Left.

Trump's original statement was fine.   He should have followed David Byrne's advice....."Say something once,  why say it again?"

Online Hoodat

He should have followed David Byrne's advice....."Say something once,  why say it again?"

Odd reference, considering the name of that song.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

Odd reference, considering the name of that song.

LOL, yeah I know.

Offline bilo

Trump's original statement was fine.   He should have followed David Byrne's advice....."Say something once,  why say it again?"

I agree.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I agree.

Trump's original statement was fine.

If he wants to say it again, that's fine also.

Why do you all keep saying things again and again.  And, well, me too.

It's what we do.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline bilo

Trump's original statement was fine.

If he wants to say it again, that's fine also.

Why do you all keep saying things again and again.  And, well, me too.

It's what we do.

I'm always hoping that someone will have that "a ha" moment.