Author Topic: 6 Exercises That Can Help You Manage Knee Osteoarthritis  (Read 1129 times)

rangerrebew

6 Exercises That Can Help You Manage Knee Osteoarthritis
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:17:58 pm »
6 Exercises That Can Help You Manage Knee Osteoarthritis

If you have knee pain from osteoarthritis, you might be tempted to stay seated for long periods of time. But it’s better to get moving — here’s how.
By Dennis Thompson, Jr.
Medically Reviewed by Meeta Shah, MD

We respect your privacy.

If you’re one of the 14 million Americans who have knee osteoarthritis, you might think that moving the joint will do more harm than good. But the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) says just the opposite: that, in fact, exercising is one of the best ways to manage your knee pain. Here are six exercises that may work for you.
How Knee Exercises Provide Pain Relief

Exercise can help relieve the pain from knee osteoarthritis by strengthening the muscles that surround the joint. Stronger muscles provide better support and act as shock absorbers, deflecting some of the day-to-day strain caused by walking and other activities. The AAOS guidelines emphasize that a wide range of exercises can improve knee pain, including weight-bearing, low-impact, and water-based activities.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/osteoarthritis/exercises-help-manage-knee-pain/

rangerrebew

Re: 6 Exercises That Can Help You Manage Knee Osteoarthritis
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 12:19:12 pm »
If I had had this information, I might not have had both knees replaced after having them scoped 6 times. :boring:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:44:11 am »
If I had had this information, I might not have had both knees replaced after having them scoped 6 times. :boring:
I'm sure this will work for some people, what worked for me was when they cut out all the arthritis and replaced it with titanium. I would have preffered it otherwise but two years of bone on bone convinced me.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:30:42 am »
I'll give it a shot, thanks! Mine aren't so far gone they need to be replaced yet, although that isn't for lack of mileage.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 11:07:26 am »
This must be knee arthritis week. I get email newsletters from Runners World magazine, and they posted this article the other day:
Knee Arthritis Has Doubled... And It’s Not Because of Running
Analysis of ancient skeletons sheds light on the sudden increase in arthritis rates.
By Alex Hutchinson Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 1:36 pm

One of my pet topics on this blog has been the persistent myth that running will ruin your knees. In truth, as numerous studies over the years have suggested, runners are no more likely, and perhaps even less likely, than comparable non-runners to develop osteoarthritis, the wear-and-tear form of arthritis, in their knees.

Still, there’s a widespread sense that osteoarthritis is getting more common, which is often blamed on the fact that people these days are heavier and live longer than they used to. Is that really true? That’s what a new study from Dan Lieberman’s group at Harvard University, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (press release here), sought to determine.  ...

So if it’s not obesity or age, what explains the apparent rise in osteoarthritis rates? This study can’t answer that, but the researchers do float a few hypotheses in their discussion.

One possibility is that walking around on hard, paved surfaces all the time isn’t good for our knees. In support of that possibility, they cite a 1982 paper in which sheep spent 2.5 years living either on concrete and tarmac or on wood chips and pastures. The sheep in the concrete jungle had noticeable changes in the cartilage and bone of their knee joints, and maybe we do too.

Another possibility is shoes—and they’re not talking about trainers. They cite a 1998 study showing that high-heeled shoes generate abnormally high forces on the knee joint, and note that, in their analysis, women were about 50 percent more likely to have knee osteoarthritis than men.

But the biggest factor, they suspect, may be physical inactivity.  ...
Rest of article.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:58:05 pm »
I'm sure this will work for some people, what worked for me was when they cut out all the arthritis and replaced it with titanium. I would have preffered it otherwise but two years of bone on bone convinced me.

I've also had both hips succumb to the condition and have had them replaced.  The cost of the  titanium in me is nearly the value of my house. :silly:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:28:58 pm »
I've also had both hips succumb to the condition and have had them replaced.  The cost of the  titanium in me is nearly the value of my house. :silly:
Hey think like a millennial, it's all just body modification, one joint at a time

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:44 pm »
Hey think like a millennial, it's all just body modification, one joint at a time

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra