Author Topic: South Australia energy project to use solar thermal tech, integrated molten salt energy storage  (Read 990 times)

rangerrebew

South Australia energy project to use solar thermal tech, integrated molten salt energy storage
August 16, 2017 by Nancy Owano

(Tech Xplore)—A 150 megawatt solar thermal plant near the town of Port Augusta, South Australia, is in the news; the facility, known as Aurora, is from SolarReserve. This is a US-based company that is a developer, owner and operator of solar power projects. A project description in brief:

"Aurora will deliver 495 gigawatt-hours of power annually – providing fully dispatchable baseload electricity to the network when electricity is needed most. Storage will enable the solar thermal station to operate just like a conventional coal or gas power station, reliably generating electricity day and night – except without any emissions."

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-08-south-australia-energy-solar-thermal.html

Offline thackney

http://www.solarreserve.com/en/global-projects/csp/aurora

Size: 150 MW facility output

Storage: 8 hours of full load storage, enabling on-demand energy production day and night

Dry Cooling: Significantly reduces the use of water, saving millions of litres of water each year
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

looks to be a great way to fry a bunch of birds. Hope no airline goes over it either.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

looks to be a great way to fry a bunch of birds. Hope no airline goes over it either.

Not much of either out there.

Not much of either out there.
You do not know what you are talking about. 

This is a coastal town teeming with wildlife including birds.  There are a number of large lakes immediately north of it too where birds gather.  Likely has more wildlife there than a number of the large solar facilities located in the US southwest where birds are fried regularly.
 This Mojave Desert solar plant kills 6,000 birds a year.http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-solar-bird-deaths-20160831-snap-story.html

I have several times visited South Australia in nearby Adelaide where my brother has lived for 25 years.

Guess what?  Adelaide is one of the larger cities in the entire country and does have planes that go into its airport.  Air travel is a way of life in Australia due to distances.

@Oceander

On what basis do you make the ridiculous statement you made?  Thinking of the outback perhaps?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

You do not know what you are talking about. 

This is a coastal town teeming with wildlife including birds.  There are a number of large lakes immediately north of it too where birds gather.  Likely has more wildlife there than a number of the large solar facilities located in the US southwest where birds are fried regularly.
 This Mojave Desert solar plant kills 6,000 birds a year.http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-solar-bird-deaths-20160831-snap-story.html

I have several times visited South Australia in nearby Adelaide where my brother has lived for 25 years.

Guess what?  Adelaide is one of the larger cities in the entire country and does have planes that go into its airport.  Air travel is a way of life in Australia due to distances.

@Oceander

On what basis do you make the ridiculous statement you made?  Thinking of the outback perhaps?

Uh, I been there?  That count?

So where is the evidence that there is not much in the way of birds and planes?

You are just throwing out comments without any type of basis.

@Oceander

Am not much of a bird-watcher myself, but found this site which shows opportunities.

http://www.sabirding.com/sites-10.htm

Offline Suppressed

I dunno, @Oceander.  They have the White-Browed Babbler* and it ain't Trump!

Ann Jones

*Pomatostomus superciliosus
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Cool, another giant hot air fryer for birds, we got one in California, cooks em fast and crisp without that transfat worry!