Author Topic: Daily Stormer Booted From Russia for 'Propagandizing Neo-Nazi Ideology'  (Read 777 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Daily Stormer Booted From Russia for 'Propagandizing Neo-Nazi Ideology'
Aug 17, 2017 — 14:09
— Update: 14:08
Pixabay / The Moscow Times

Russia’s media watchdog on Thursday said it had requested that a Russian internet provider suspend the Daily Stormer neo-Nazi website after it was previously blocked by U.S. tech firms.

Roskomnadzor head Alexander Zharov told the Interfax news agency the watchdog had “asked” the Ru-center, the company that provided the Russian domain, to stop servicing the website.

Continued: https://themoscowtimes.com/news/daily-stormer-ousted-in-russia-for-extremism-58688

They were booted off of the American internet but then went on to a Russian host; good to see they got booted there too.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Daily Stormer Booted From Russia for 'Propagandizing Neo-Nazi Ideology'
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 12:16:53 pm »
Cute PR move but a lot of the alt right neonazism is driven from within eastern Europe and Russia. Its why they appear much larger than they are.

I started doing image searches of their online avatars and found a very high proportion of them came from Russian online magazines and dating sites. Also lots of pics of guys like Aleksandr Dugin, Nikolaos Michaloliakos, and other lesser known Euro-fascists.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:21:43 pm »
Cute PR move but a lot of the alt right neonazism is driven from within eastern Europe and Russia. Its why they appear much larger than they are.

I started doing image searches of their online avatars and found a very high proportion of them came from Russian online magazines and dating sites. Also lots of pics of guys like Aleksandr Dugin, Nikolaos Michaloliakos, and other lesser known Euro-fascists.

A lot of it is from Ukraine.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:46:52 pm »
I think I'll stay on the news story, I will say cases can be made about both countries. 

Ukraine also went through a man-made famine that killed millions, that might change one's perspective some but at the same time, they provided many fighters to the Red Army.

I would not knock the Ukrainians. It would be easy to enumerate the faults of both countries.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:48:10 pm »
I think I'll stay on the news story, I will say cases can be made about both countries. 

Ukraine also went through a man-made famine that killed millions, that might change one's perspective some but at the same time, they provided many fighters to the Red Army.

I would not knock the Ukrainians. It would be easy to enumerate the faults of both countries.

Well Poles know what the Bandera-ites during the war.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:35:03 pm »
Daily Stormer Still Active on Russia's Largest Social Network VK
Aug 17, 2017 — 18:45
— Update: 13:05
Martinsson Serg/ Flickr

Russia’s most popular social network VK is hosting the neo-Nazi group Daily Stormer even after the far-right website was blocked in Russia and the group was kicked off Twitter.

The neo-Nazi group in recent days was booted from Google, GoDaddy, Cloudfare and Twitter for publishing a derogatory article on Heather Heyer who died protesting a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville in the United States.

The head of Russia’s internet watchdog Alexander Zharov told the Interfax news agency on Thursday he had “asked” the company providing Daily Stormer’s Russian domain to stop servicing the website.

Continued: https://themoscowtimes.com/news/daily-stormer-still-active-on-russia-biggest-social-media-site-vk-58692

So summing up, kicked off of the Russian internet but they still have an account with a facebook type of outlet, this VK.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »
Well Poles know what the Bandera-ites during the war.

Right now, Poland and Ukraine are looked at as friends. That seems to be the case, even over there, if one meets them. Russia takes steps against Ukraine, Poland criticizes Russia.  I don't see Poland side with Russia.

Stating the obvious, Poland and Ukraine even hosted the Euro Cup together. South Korea and Japan hosted the World Cup together. I guess, there is some degree of cooperation between the countries.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:40:43 pm »
Right now, Poland and Ukraine are looked at as friends. That seems to be the case, even over there, if one meets them. Russia takes steps against Ukraine, Poland criticizes Russia.  I don't see Poland side with Russia.

Stating the obvious, Poland and Ukraine even hosted the Euro Cup together. South Korea and Japan hosted the World Cup together. I guess, there is some degree of cooperation between the countries.

I think it's safe to say that Poland will never side with Russia.    But once again they are getting the squeeze from Germany and Russia.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:43:11 pm »
The two nations are drawn together more by a painful past than by common threads. Ukrainian peasants once worked for Polish noblemen. After World War I, the Polish Army helped dash Ukrainians’ brief hopes of independence. World War II brought horrific massacres to both populations, from many directions, and ended with vast ethnic cleansing.

But from this pain came a slow discovery of common ground. Both sides took the idea of “solidarity” to mean a shared struggle against dictatorship.

In the 1980s, Polish and Ukrainian anti-Communists began talking about the darker moments of their nations’ histories, trying to overcome deep mistrust. In 1989, the Polish dissident Adam Michnik was cheered when he addressed the founding congress of Ukraine’s first mass opposition movement. In 2004, during Ukraine’s Orange Revolution, Kiev’s streets were full of young Poles alongside Ukrainians.

Continued: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/opinion/why-poland-cares-so-much-about-ukraine.html

We can dismiss that as the NY Times and let's say the Times is not reporting this correctly but even then, if one must but then:

Polish-Ukrainian relations were established soon after Ukraine gained independence from the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. They have been improving since, with Poland and Ukraine forming a strong strategic partnership.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland%E2%80%93Ukraine_relations

They are allies. The Polish legislature and President sides with Ukraine, so then, others should not?