Author Topic: Virginia governor encourages removal of Confederate statues  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Virginia governor encourages removal of Confederate statues
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 06:28:52 pm »
The Virginia governor is a Yankee
The man driving the car that ran into the crowd is a Yankee
Coincidence?
Countdown to Resignation

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 07:21:40 pm »
@Smokin Joe

He was never a part of my state to begin with.  I can't see him as a traitor because I know he never had any loyalty to it.
Who elects these Carpetbaggers, anyway?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:30 pm »

Wiki says that Willich wanted to kill Marx for being too conservative.
Well, he found his niche, didn't he?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 11:00:31 pm »
Who elects these Carpetbaggers, anyway?

@Smokin Joe

In this state...northern Virginia; the city of Richmond; and the Hampton Roads (east coastal) area.  Those of us stuck in the middle do the right thing.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 11:08:13 pm »

County by county New York State is largely conservative republicans, but NYC wipes all of that out and so we get stuck with people like Cuomo.

Silver Pines

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:24 pm »
Just by your view of what race relations were like in the South on an individual basis, I can tell where you did not grow up. You have swallowed the Yankee stereotype hook, line, and sinker. I'd almost bet you got that out of a book published in Boston (where white northern hypocrites were burning buses seven years after our schools had been integrated so their kids wouldn't have to go to school with 'those people').

@Smokin Joe

Self-righteous, preachy hypocrites who like to try and tell Southerners the way it is in the South are a dime a dozen.  They don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.

Down here where I live in rural Virginia, we don't look at the people in our community and think black or white.  We're just Virginians.  And I'll guarantee you we get along a hell of a lot better with each other than whites and blacks in large urban areas farther north.  If you want to see a race riot, those are the places you have to go to.  We don't have them here. 

I'm reminded of an incident that took place a couple of years ago, in a doctor's office.  I was in the waiting room; it was a large practice and the place was pretty big.  All of a sudden there was a commotion, and I looked up and saw a white man getting in a black woman's face.  I don't know what they were arguing about, but he yelled out, "Why don't you go back to Africa where you came from?"

The room went dead silent.  Some nurses came running out and defused the situation.  The black lady came over and took a seat across from me.  I looked up, our eyes met, and we both burst out laughing.  The white man?  He had a New York or New Jersey accent.

@TomSea

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 11:15:40 pm »
Boo-Hoo Virginny,

Demographic changes are to come to at least 3 more states in the next 20 years, you had your immoral white supremacist society all throughout the South.

Real big, down speak parts of the country that didn't lynch hundreds of persons they made slaves.  That didn't take away voting rights.

And I have ancestry that fought in the Confederacy but some of the hate and lack of logic that people speak is what has led to the present problems. 

James Alex Fields anyone?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 11:16:49 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Self-righteous, preachy hypocrites who like to try and tell Southerners the way it is in the South are a dime a dozen.  They don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.

Down here where I live in rural Virginia, we don't look at the people in our community and think black or white.  We're just Virginians.  And I'll guarantee you we get along a hell of a lot better with each other than whites and blacks in large urban areas farther north.  If you want to see a race riot, those are the places you have to go to.  We don't have them here. 

I'm reminded of an incident that took place a couple of years ago, in a doctor's office.  I was in the waiting room; it was a large practice and the place was pretty big.  All of a sudden there was a commotion, and I looked up and saw a white man getting in a black woman's face.  I don't know what they were arguing about, but he yelled out, "Why don't you go back to Africa where you came from?"

The room went dead silent.  Some nurses came running out and defused the situation.  The black lady came over and took a seat across from me.  I looked up, our eyes met, and we both burst out laughing.  The white man?  He had a New York or New Jersey accent.

@TomSea

Preach it! I won't even tell my pedigree here, I have nothing to prove sweetheart.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 11:17:56 pm »
The Virginia governor is a Yankee
The man driving the car that ran into the crowd is a Yankee
Coincidence?

No, James Alex Fields is a Kentuckian.  They only moved to near Toledo Ohio in the past year or so.

Do you just try to come up with the wrong answers?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/13/us/james-alex-fields-charlottesville-driver-.html

The lines are real blurred in Indiana and especially Ohio with Cincinnati.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:21:07 pm by TomSea »

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:15 pm »
Preach it! I won't even tell my pedigree here, I have nothing to prove sweetheart.

@TomSea

LOL

I'm afraid to think of what your "Jews run the media" pedigree might be.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 11:27:20 pm »
Woah, @Smokin Joe , I'm sorry I offended you. Those defenses of slavery show such a moral standing.  And some of these folks are against Trump?  **nononono*

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 12:23:01 am »
County by county New York State is largely conservative republicans, but NYC wipes all of that out and so we get stuck with people like Cuomo.
This is exactly the reason those libtard leftist want to abolish the Electoral College, so they can count on their liberalist population centers can wipe out the vote of the rest of the countryside.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fantom

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 02:07:58 am »

President Trump should use the Antiquities Act and make all Monuments over 50 years old a National Treasure and federalize them for protection from the extremist of today.

Then in 2018 we can pass the Restore Act. Using monies otherwise legislated for any other purpose to a city/state to restore any Monuments to original condition that have been destroyed by today's anti-American Taliban...democrats. 
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 02:26:46 am »

President Trump should use the Antiquities Act and make all Monuments over 50 years old a National Treasure and federalize them for protection from the extremist of today.

Then in 2018 we can pass the Restore Act. Using monies otherwise legislated for any other purpose to a city/state to restore any Monuments to original condition that have been destroyed by today's anti-American Taliban...democrats.

Neat idea. (And, yes, Taliban is the nearest equivalency.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:16:17 am by aligncare »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 05:56:01 am »
Boo-Hoo Virginny,

Demographic changes are to come to at least 3 more states in the next 20 years, you had your immoral white supremacist society all throughout the South.

Real big, down speak parts of the country that didn't lynch hundreds of persons they made slaves.  That didn't take away voting rights.

And I have ancestry that fought in the Confederacy but some of the hate and lack of logic that people speak is what has led to the present problems. 

James Alex Fields anyone?
Actually, when I think of neoNazis, I think of Skokie Illinois. When I think of White Supremacists and Separatists, it is a state west of here that comes to mind, not in the South, but well North of the Mason/Dixon Line.

While I have met people from all over who are jerks, I must admit I have met far fewer in southern states--at least who were originally from southern states.  When you live just down the holler, up the creek, or a couple miles at most away from people in a more rural setting, you interact with them--and have all your life. You see individuals as assh*les, but recognize that not all people are assh*les, in fact, most people aren't assh*les, even if they have troubles from time to time. You learn that real assh*les come in all sizes, shapes, and colors, with the single unifying characteristic being an internal one, not necessarily obvious from casual appearance, namely, that they are full of sh*t.

With that in mind, I have lived among blacks and whites and American Indians, In my family, there are numbered among us those who are characterized as Asian and American Indian and white in just my generation.  We'd make lousy supremacists, as we'd have to decide who would kick who out, and I fear that would lead to one of those in family arguments we'd just never settle.

But there are folks who live in the urban cloisters of racially distinct neighborhoods, who relocate when the neighborhood starts 'going', who don't take the time to get to know people as people. They provide fertile ground for people hating on each other over superficial characteristics, and often end up reinforcing the very stereotypes they impose on others they really know nothing about. They respect no one, including themselves, yet demand others respect them.

For every person who participated in a lynching, thousands did not, and lynchings were by no means limited to the South or one racial background, and haven't been, anywhere, unless there simply weren't any of 'them' available to focus the anger of the mob on. Then some poor half-wit was more likely to get strung up because they were not capable of providing an articulate defense, made an easy scapegoat, and were the most different person the mob could find in the heat of the moment.

So the bottom line is simply a question you have to ask yourself.

Are you one of the people who weren't there, who did not/would not participate, or are you the type who would, out of anger or the desire to be important, one of those with  the rope and the loud voice calling for the demise of people who you know nothing about? Are you one of those braying the stereotype du jour, calling for heads on pikes of people who have done no wrong, but through accident of geography or genetics fit the stereotype you would impose on them, and thus must be thrown to the wolves as a blood sacrifice for your personal guilt, angst, fear, or desire for vengeance for yourself or some third party, without any of the protections of due process or the verification of evidence or fact?

If you want to end hatred, start here and now by not hating on people, by not assuming they hate anyone, by not proclaiming they are heinous criminals when you can't say what color their eyes are and you don't even know their name. Do not let the actions of a loud and twisted few color your image of the whole, even among those you decry. You have nothing but the hyperbolic propaganda of agitators past and present sprinkled with the grains of truth of some unfortunate incidents, yet you would indict half of the nation east of the Mississippi, along with even more west of it, and everyone who ever lived or grew up there.

Had you grown up with the people you would so indict, you would know the good from the minority of bad, and not be so hasty to call for stringing them all up.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:02:44 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis