Author Topic: Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery  (Read 521 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery
CBS/Chicago, Aug 16, 2017

CHICAGO (CBS) — A Chicago pastor has asked the Emanuel administration to remove the names of two presidents who owned slaves from parks on the South Side, saying the city should not honor slave owners in black communities.

A bronze statue of George Washington on horseback stands at the corner of 51st and King Drive, at the northwest entrance to Washington Park.

Bishop James Dukes, pastor of Liberation Christian Center, said he wants the statue gone, and he wants George Washington’s name removed from the park.

“When I see that, I see a person who fought for the liberties, and I see people that fought for the justice and freedom of white America, because at that moment, we were still chattel slavery, and was three-fifths of humans,” he said. “Some people out here ask me, say ‘Well, you know, he taught his slaves to read.’ That’s almost sad; the equivalent of someone who kidnaps you, that you gave them something to eat.”

More: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/jackson-washington-park-protest-presidents-slave-owners/

Here it comes .... No Founding Father will be saved.  Even the ones who didn't own slaves will be judged guilty for not freeing the slaves with the Declaration of Independence and/or Constitution.

They will be stripped from history.

I wonder what happens with this:

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

Here it comes .... No Founding Father will be saved.  Even the ones who didn't own slaves will be judged guilty for not freeing the slaves with the Declaration of Independence and/or Constitution.

They will be stripped from history.

"The Founding Fathers were just White, Male, Slave Holders who didn't want to pay their taxes."

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
I guess Mount Rushmore will have to go too.

Maybe they can just retouch the stone a bit.