Author Topic: Seven Suggestions for Effective Dry Fire Practice  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Seven Suggestions for Effective Dry Fire Practice
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
The Truth About Guns By Jack Clark  September 18, 2013

Dry fire practice is an enormously important part of effective firearms training. Many quality firearms instructors encourage a 70-30 dry fire regimen: spend 70% of your training time dry firing and 30% shooting. Recently, I was out of town conducting a tactics and medical class for a group of physicians who volunteer as SWAT medics for the departments in their area. As always, on the first day, I made a point of telling them to make sure they spend time dry firing. That evening after dinner I wandered down to the communal area and found three of my students settled in on a couch, watching a ball game, occasionally clicking their unloaded pistols at the television between grabs at the pretzel basket . . .

Incredulous, I ask them what they were doing. “Dry firing,” they answered as if they would be getting bonus points for doing work outside of class. I made a command decision at that point to revise my dry fire speech to cover – in more detail  – exactly what effective dry fire practice is all about.

Whether your goal is to improve your target or defensive shooting, dry fire must be practiced using as close to the same motions and techniques as will be used during live fire. In our the professional courses I teach, we often have well-trained military and police units spend large segments of their training time drilling dry in the shoot-house, vehicles or assault course.

Here are some tips that will make your dry fire sessions safe and effective.

More: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/09/daniel-zimmerman/seven-suggestions-effective-dry-fire-practice/

Even more Dry Fire Articles:

http://rangemaster.com/training/suggested-drills/

https://tdiohio.com/dry-fire-trigger-management-your-way-to-more-accurate-handgun-shooting/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/effective-dry-fire-practice/

http://www.handgunsmag.com/personal-defense/how-dry-firing-can-make-you-a-better-shooter/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Seven Suggestions for Effective Dry Fire Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:08:35 pm »
Great idea.

I've been practicing with my .38...need to practice with my .45 and 9mm as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
Great idea.

I've been practicing with my .38...need to practice with my .45 and 9mm as well.

You don't hear of if much for rifles, but back, as a young teenager, I would practice dry firing my Rem700. First I would slather the bolt with oil and jeweler's rouge. I worked that bolt until it and the receiver was super slick.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »
You don't hear of if much for rifles, but back, as a young teenager, I would practice dry firing my Rem700. First I would slather the bolt with oil and jeweler's rouge. I worked that bolt until it and the receiver was super slick.

The reality of it is your intruder or mugger isn't going to stand perfectly still at 7 yards and let you line your sight picture up. I've been practicing aiming at the bedroom door as I grab my .38 from the bedside table...or drawing and aiming my wife's Sig with my left hand from her VersaCarry bedside holster set up.

I want to add dry fire practice turning and firing at the front door from my couch...or sitting at the computer desk as well.

It would be interesting to see what kind of home invasion scenarios would lend themselves to dry firing a rifle.  Might come in handy with my son and his .22
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:29:27 pm »
I started out learning to shoot handguns focusing just on accuracy. And I found that the more I practiced, yes, I got more accurate, but I also gained speed.

Now my son started out focusing on speed. I was amazed at how fast he was getting on target, firing, recovering from recoil, and firing as fast as he could get the sights back in the target area. Round after round with our M1 Carbine.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:31:35 pm »
I think you should always do it in front of a mirror, especially when practicing  your quick draw.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:27 pm »
I think you should always do it in front of a mirror, especially when practicing  your quick draw.

Only if you dress the part.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
And being the question always comes up when discussing dry-firing - here is a word on that from Hickok45,  YODA to us gun-nuts who love his youtubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDcZKTRbqA
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:52:54 pm »
And being the question always comes up when discussing dry-firing - here is a word on that from Hickok45,  YODA to us gun-nuts who love his youtubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDcZKTRbqA

My son is a disciple, too. Man I'd love to have his backyard setup.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:14 pm »
Only if you dress the part.
Wait. What, you're saying I'm supposed to be dressed?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 07:46:49 pm »
My son is a disciple, too. Man I'd love to have his backyard setup.

Short of that...I'd just like to be invited to go shoot with him.