Author Topic: An Exclusive Look At How Virginia Police Emptied Emancipation Park  (Read 655 times)

Offline Just_Victor

This is by far the best report I've seen on the events in Charlottesville.  It is long, but extremely thorough and factual.

Source: DailyCaller
http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/16/an-exclusive-look-at-how-virginia-police-emptied-emancipation-park/

Virginia State Police cleared Emancipation Park Saturday after a white nationalist demonstration turned violent, but the action forced attendees into a crowd of counter-protesters.

The rally was organized as a protest to the ordered removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee in downtown Charlottesville, Va. The rally was named the “Unite the Right” rally, but attendees largely identified as white nationalists or white supremacists when asked by reporters on the ground. Both Black Lives Matter and then antifa declared they would bring members to Charlottesville to protest the rally, setting up a showdown between the two groups.

The white nationalists applied for a permit from City Hall, and originally obtained a permit for McIntire Park, a location roughly a mile and a half away from the statue. But white supremacist Richard Spencer declared that the group would meet at the much smaller Emancipation Park, the home of the famed Lee statue. City Hall approved the permit Friday evening.

Protesters on both sides roundly criticized police behavior, but police officials say they did the best with the resources they were given. The Daily Caller News Foundation provides an exclusive look into what steps the police took in their effort to clear the park, based on accounts from reporters on the ground.

The call for police assistance echoed through the streets until police took control of the downtown area after a car slammed into a group of protestors Saturday afternoon. Several protesters cited the lack of a police presence as they tried to get help for their injured.

“Where are the police?” One antifa protester said in the crowd. “I don’t see any police here!”

“The police actually allowed us to square off against each other,” a Black Lives Matter protester told CNN. “There were fights and the police were standing a block away the entire time. It’s almost as if they wanted us to fight each other.”

The police initially offered to keep the rally attendees and the protesters separated. The department provided a line of police support at the southern edge of the park. Both Charlottesville Police (CPD) and Virginia State Police were present on the scene Saturday morning, but CPD maintained control of the scene until Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency. The state police took control of the scene and pushed rally attendees and protesters together on East Main Street. Police then stood back, only stepping in to intervene after a white supremacist ran a Dodge Challenger through a crowd of protesters.

more....

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online Hoodat

Re: An Exclusive Look At How Virginia Police Emptied Emancipation Park
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:33:20 pm »
Both Charlottesville Police (CPD) and Virginia State Police were present on the scene Saturday morning, but CPD maintained control of the scene until Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency. The state police took control of the scene and pushed rally attendees and protesters together on East Main Street. Police then stood back, only stepping in to intervene after a white supremacist ran a Dodge Challenger through a crowd of protesters.

This is 100% Terry McAuliffe's fault.  If I was Charlottesville Police, I would be pissed off that the governor stepped in and took control away from them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:39:34 pm »
This is 100% Terry McAuliffe's fault.  If I was Charlottesville Police, I would be pissed off that the governor stepped in and took control away from them.

Especially now that lawsuits are being filed.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:49:57 pm »
Once there is time to process the facts the situation begins to take on a bit of a different hue. As usual.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:20:33 pm »
Once there is time to process the facts the situation begins to take on a bit of a different hue. As usual.

As soon as I saw the tape of the murder, it was clear that people had been allowed to walk in the street with no traffic control. I knew at that instant that there had been a major cock up.

@EC - is that proper usage of the term?

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:42:43 pm »
As soon as I saw the tape of the murder, it was clear that people had been allowed to walk in the street with no traffic control. I knew at that instant that there had been a major cock up.

@EC - is that proper usage of the term?

Rob Farrow

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:02:51 am »

Fault? He's loving this and probably engineered it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:16:02 am »
Fault? He's loving this and probably engineered it!

I didn't know much about him; so I did a search - He was chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2005, was co-chairman of President Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign, and was chairman of Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign.  That's all I need to know. You're probably right; he engineered all the drama.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:42:59 am »
I didn't know much about him; so I did a search - He was chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2005, was co-chairman of President Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign, and was chairman of Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign.  That's all I need to know. You're probably right; he engineered all the drama.

He also made a small fortune on Global Crossing stock.  While the company was going in the toilet, he miraculously make millions by knowing EXACTLY when to buy stock and sell it short.  Part of this money was used to secure the loan for the Clinton's house in Chappaqua, NY.

McAuliffe is as sleazy as they come.  And he got help from the Virginia GOP to get elected governor.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-